• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op Ed piece: You know it's D Day, right?

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
J

jollyjacktar

A good opinion editorial piece.  He is correct in so many points, and asks what a veteran of this battle might think of the lack of recognition or knowledge by today's youth.  I think that of course it would be somewhat hurtful but on the other hand it also means that the children of today have known the peace that was bought by our veterans and not war.  So, mission accomplished.

Jerry Amernic: Today is D-Day - You knew that, right?

Monday, June 6 is the 72nd anniversary of D-Day. What's that again? Well, if you don't know, it was the invasion by Allied forces of Nazi-occupied Europe on the beaches of Normandy. In France. Canada played a major role that day. Along with forces from the United States and Britain, 14,000 Canadians stormed Juno Beach and when the day was done those Canadians penetrated farther inland than any other Allied forces. But the price was high: 359 Canadians died and 715 were wounded. Another 18,700 Canadians were later killed or wounded in the Normandy campaign.

D-Day, in other words, was a turning point of the Second World War. But of course you know that, don't you? Well, if you are a student in a Canadian high school, or a college or university, maybe not.

Many years ago, I did a feature profile on Richard Rohmer, a military man who, back on June 6, 1944, was a young reconnaissance pilot. He witnessed the entire Normandy invasion from the air. I remember him telling me about it. I remember his eyes tearing up when he told me about another pilot who was shot down right in front of him.

Another time when I was a newspaper reporter, I did a story on this remarkable reunion that took place at a Toronto hotel. A group of Belgian citizens were holding what would be their last get-together with the Canadian soldiers who had liberated them from Nazi Germany. The love in that room was profound. More than 1,500 Canadian soldiers are buried in Belgium.

So what is it worth? To Canadians, apparently not much. History is now a low priority in our schools. In Ontario, you can take a history course for one semester in the first year of high school and never touch a history book again. I know from years of teaching college courses how aware most students are when it comes to history.

They told me D-Day happened on Feb. 14. That it took place in London. That it was some battle we lost

When my agent was shopping around my novel, The Last Witness, which is about the last living survivor of the Holocaust in a near-future world that doesn't know history, one publisher turned it down because they didn't buy the premise that people would know so little in one generation.

So I made a video. We interviewed university students in Toronto and asked them questions about the Second World War. Most had no idea who the Allies were. They couldn't identify Franklin D. Roosevelt or Winston Churchill. They didn't know how many were killed in the Holocaust.

They told me D-Day happened on Feb. 14. That it took place in London. That it was some battle we lost. Or - the more common response - they had no idea what it was all about.

The video was shot three days before Remembrance Day. What would a Canadian veteran who stormed Juno Beach on June 6, 1944 - he would be about 90 now - think when he hears that university students in this country know next to nothing about D-Day and this country's monumental efforts on that day and in that war?

The problem is not unique to Canada. In the United States, the United Kingdom and other countries, the level of knowledge among the young is also feeble.

I can cite all kinds of surveys and polls that would make your hair stand on end. But why not find out for yourself? On Monday venture onto a university or college campus and ask students about D-Day. You might be in for a surprise.

National Post

Jerry Amernic is the author of the novels The Last Witness, Qumran, and Gift of the Bambino.

COPYRIGHT:  © 2016 Postmedia Network Inc. All rights reserved. 

IDNUMBER  201606060019
DOCID:  248706836
PUBLICATION:  National Post
DATE:  2016.06.06
SECTION:  Full Comment
BYLINE:  Jerry Amernic, National Post
KEYWORDS:  anniversary,again,invasion,allied,forces,europe
WORD COUNT:  628

Eventually, the products of history become too numerous and complex for anyone to have a complete and accurate account.At which point did the British start forgetting the date of the Battle of Waterloo? How much about D-Day do you really expect a student in the year 2066 to know? What about the year 2116? I guess the best question to ask is, what is an appropriate, or "morally acceptable" depreciation rate for our knowledge of history? In this day and age of immediate gratification and distraction by all manner of things, are we forgetting too quickly?

I'll tell you who takes their history seriously: The French.

When they graduate from Lycée (like high school but after 14 years of education), they know all of the battles they won or lost, including all the way back to when they were Gaul instead of France.

History is part of the curriculum in every year of school.

Idiocracy is increasingly a documentary -- a sad indictment of our society and education systems, and the likely way ahead.    :(

Perhaps but even in the Canadian army has there been any real marking of the occasion since the 50s.  As a young soldier interested in history, in the early 80s, I asked my Platoon WO about D Day celebrations.  His reply was that D Day was something that the militia did.  Sadly, no D Day infantry or cavalry unit is part of the regular order of battle.

George Wallace said:
Since the Sixties, I would say we are forgetting too quickly.

:)

Attachments

• the-swinging-60s-2-638.jpg
    the-swinging-60s-2-638.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 161
There are times when I really think that there needs to be money put into public school history education that allows students to travel to some of the places in the world where our military forces of days past and present have made some significant difference.  I would think that many students here (and likely their parents as well) would be taken aback by having to tend to the headstones of fallen soldiers as a for instance, like in France or Holland.  They would hopefully not be so apathetic about those rights they have that they take for granted on a daily basis - talking to people that had those rights taken away from them would do them a world of good or seeing those that died ensuring others got them back.

:2c:

MM

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I'll tell you who takes their history seriously: The French.

When they graduate from Lycée (like high school but after 14 years of education), they know all of the battles they won or lost, including all the way back to when they were Gaul instead of France.

Yes, I remember reading the textbooks...

Asterix_-_Cast.png

Lightguns said:
Perhaps but even in the Canadian army has there been any real marking of the occasion since the 50s.  As a young soldier interested in history, in the early 80s, I asked my Platoon WO about D Day celebrations.  His reply was that D Day was something that the militia did.  Sadly, no D Day infantry or cavalry unit is part of the regular order of battle.

Yes, to a certain extent that is true.  The RCD were "D Day Dodgers".  They fought through Sicily and Italy, before joining the "D Day Gang" in NW Europe, as did the RCR and other of today's Regular Force units. 

George Wallace said:
Yes, to a certain extent that is true.  The RCD were "D Day Dodgers".  They fought through Sicily and Italy, before joining the "D Day Gang" in NW Europe, as did the RCR and other of today's Regular Force units.

Plenty of Militia in Italy too as well though, like my dad with the 15th LAA Regt RCA.

jollyjacktar said:
Plenty of Militia in Italy too as well though, like my dad with the 15th LAA Regt RCA.

Yes, that is true, but the reply was in reference to the Regular Force units of today not being at Normandy. 

To be fair to the Reg Force personnel of the day, I do remember dad saying that they were held back in Canada as training staff to teach the flood of civilians that were coming into the organization and it was the Militia that went off as the guys at the coal face so to speak.  I wonder by June of 44 how many of these Reg Force guys were actually in the fore and not still stuck back in the training systems of the day.

Lightguns said:

That's pretty sad.  Regimental system at its worst.  It was an important day in Canadian military history for the Navy and Airforce as well.

Underway said:
It was an important day in Canadian military history for the Navy and Airforce as well.

Even 42 years later it was still a contentious issue for some,

OVERLORD: The Unnecessary Invasion
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FcbLhPs7tkkJ:https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/AAF/NoOverlord/index.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Lightguns said:

None were there at Jesus' birth, either, yet they all seem quite gung ho to accept Christmas Day, Boxing Day, plus two days of special leave every year on that occasion...

Just popped into one of my high school's Social Studies classes and and said "Today is the anniversary of D Day, tell me what you know about it." 

Response: "D Day was a battle where the allies landed on Normandy in France to start the liberation of France."  Not bad at all. Could have stayed for a more in depth discussion but the teacher had other content and I'm off to coach rugby.  All is not lost with today's youth...

RocketRichard said:
Just popped into one of my high school's Social Studies classes and and said "Today is the anniversary of D Day, tell me what you know about it." 

Response: "D Day was a battle where the allies landed on Normandy in France to start the liberation of France."  Not bad at all. Could have stayed for a more in depth discussion but the teacher had other content and I'm off to coach rugby.  All is not lost with today's youth...

But did you follow that question with "Do you know that because of a video game back story?"

We have seen a great resurgence of the Civillian population embracing the Military, in many decades.  Obviously our efforts in Afghanistan spurred that, but we should be proud of our Nation.

This constant commiserating about how good it was and the youth today doesn't care, is just age old Legion Barfly angst.

We have seen some of the greatest support.  I say let's embrace it, and stop perpetuating the lies.

:2c:

Michael O'Leary said:
But did you follow that question with "Do you know that because of a video game back story?"

Sure did, they said "We never play video games Sir";)

Back