• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Op ARTEMIS: Counter-terr/secur @ sea (merged)

Watch live @: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/defence-minister-on-canada-s-international-counterterrorism-effort-live-1.2969325

Defence minister on Canada's international counterterrorism effort LIVE

Rifleman62 said:
Watch live @: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/defence-minister-on-canada-s-international-counterterrorism-effort-live-1.2969325

Defence minister on Canada's international counterterrorism effort LIVE
Thx for that.

And now, we have it - highlights mine ...
The Government of Canada is committed to taking concrete action so that Canadians – and people around the world – can feel safe and secure. As threats to our safety become increasingly complex, it is more important than ever for Canada to work in close cooperation with our allies and partners to protect our citizens.

Keeping with the Government of Canada’s commitment to work with our allies and partners to fight terrorism and bring about greater peace and security in the Middle East and East Africa, Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan and Parliamentary Secretary Jean Rioux today announced an extension of Canada’s contribution to international maritime security operations.

Extending Operation ARTEMIS until April 30, 2021 ensures Canada’s continued contribution to maritime security and counter-terrorism efforts along a vital artery of world trade for the next four years.

Through this renewal of Operation ARTEMIS the Canadian Armed Forces is authorized to deploy a number of maritime assets to the Combined Maritime Forces’ Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150), to bolster security in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean.

This maritime region, which spans over 5 million square kilometers of international waters, includes the main shipping routes from the Far East to Europe and North America. Canada’s presence, along with like-minded allies and partners, promotes safe passage for merchant vessels and supports regional stability and economic trade routes.

By denying criminal organizations the ability to smuggle weapons, illicit cargo, and narcotics, CTF 150 is also taking away their access to millions of dollars in funding that could be used for illicit purposes.

Quotes

“Today’s global environment is complex and dangerous, with threats to safety and security that are increasingly interconnected. The Government of Canada’s renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world. I’m incredibly proud of the women and men contributing to the success of Operation ARTEMIS and know that their hard work will continue to deliver real results that benefit not only Canada, but the global community.”

— Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan

Quick Facts

The renewal of Op ARTEMIS authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to:
        Deploy up to 375 personnel;
        Seek command of CTF 150 twice during the four year mandate;
        Provide a Halifax-class frigate once every two years and a CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Aircraft once each year;
        Enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 2317 related to the arms embargo and the ban on the import and export of charcoal into or out of Somalia.

The Government of Canada is providing up to $131.4 million in funding to support the four year extension of Operation Artemis to April 30, 2021.

Canada has been promoting peace and security in the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean region since 2001, first through Operations APOLLO and ALTAIR, and most recently through Operation ARTEMIS, Canada’s contribution to CTF 150 since 2012.

Canada recently completed its third command rotation of CTF 150 in April 2017.

The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a multi-national naval partnership established by the United States in 2002. The CMF is comprised of three Task Forces: CTF 150 (maritime security), CTF 151 (counter-piracy), and CTF 152 (Arabian Gulf security and cooperation).

Over the past year, CTF 150 has denied criminal networks access to millions of dollars from illicit trafficking by seizing and destroying nearly 2,700 kg of narcotics and more than 3,300 weapons.
Moving shortly ...

Dolphin_Hunter said:
DH's list of possibilities.

1. Full withdrawal of the CP-140M from Op Impact XX June 2017.  Lets call it "Op Pause".

Well..unless the GoC does this part...we will be right back where we were before they cut the IMPACT Det to 1 tail.  ::)

As one of the Sqn's  skippers commented a few minutes ago on his FB "should I be surprised, or not surprised, to learn about the next deployment for my aircraft on the news online"?  ^-^

I am calling the operation Op Arthritis for NASOs, because that's what we'll have after updating trackers for months at a time.  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Well..unless the GoC does this part...we will be right back where we were before they cut the IMPACT Det to 1 tail.  ::)

Well, from the GoC press release, it seems like they're only sending the Aurora once per year.  So, it doesn't look like a continuous presence there *fingers crossed*.

It won't be continuous, based on the wording.  It looks like it will be a deployment of weeks to months every year.

jmt18325 said:
It won't be continuous, based on the wording.  It looks like it will be a deployment of weeks to months every year.

I'd be shocked if it was anything less than 3-6 months (6 months split between 2 crews). 

Other nations don't just stop by for a few weeks then return home. 

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Other nations don't just stop by for a few weeks then return home.

You're just going to hurt yourself assessing Canadian security and defence thinking based on "other nations."  ;)

The wording also could be taken to mean the '140 deployment won't be until 2018.  :dunno:  I am at an op sqn and I have no idea.  :rofl:

Eye In The Sky said:
The wording also could be taken to mean the '140 deployment won't be until 2018.  :dunno:  I am at an op sqn and I have no idea.  :rofl:

I don't think (I could very well be wrong) that anything is happening until 2018.  That means CP-140 in 18, 19, 20, and 21; and CPF in 18 and 20.

I've gone out the door on deployments in well less than a week (of the 3 month kind), less than 48 hours for the *less than a month kind*.

So...like some others, I am holding my breath, and concurrently knocking off my high readiness *stuff*.  No official announcement has come that IMPACT is winding down (for LRP folks) and the GoC just announced a new OP the 140 is heading to.

Having seen the op tempo from the inside of the box for a few years now personally...well,  I spent today checking my requirements and getting myself GREEN.  :2c:  I had a REALLY short fuse on my last trip away.

Bumping with the latest from Combined Maritime Forces (12 Jun 2017):
Recent attacks against merchant shipping in the Gulf of Aden and Bab-el-Mandeb have highlighted that there are still risks associated with transits through these waters. In addition to several attempts at piracy, attacks by small, high speed boats using small arms, rocket propelled grenades, and significant amounts of explosives have been conducted against MV GALICIA SPIRIT in October 2016 and MT MUSKIE in May 2017. In the case of the MT Muskie, the ship’s embarked security team was able to thwart the attack resulting in the small boats breaking off their attack and one boat exploding for an unknown reason at a safe distance from the Muskie. While these small boat attacks were both unsuccessful, and the identity of the attackers remains unknown, they demonstrate a new threat to the maritime community.

In response to these threats the Combined Maritime Forces will be increasing the naval presence in the western Gulf of Aden. It is important to note however that these attacks can develop rapidly and having warships positioned for an effective response depends on information provided by the shipping community ...
Things seem to be getting busier where the Canadian ships/patrol planes are going to be headed ...

Eye In The Sky said:
When did the GoC/Liberals say the CAF people would actually be going again?  :pop:

Based on their wording and the timeline given, it looks like 2018 will see a frigate and a CP-140 deployed.

CAF Operations FB Page

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship Regina has set sail! Read more: https://bit.ly/2JWyeou

Regina and its embarked CH-148 Cyclone helicopter, a CP-140 Aurora aircraft and Naval Replenishment Unit Asterix have joined the Canadian-led Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150) on Operation ARTEMIS in the Middle Eastern and East African waters. They will work with other coalition ships to patrols waters, and the CP-140 Aurora will conduct maritime surveillance.

From the "Read More" link above:

Canada increases contribution to multinational counter-terrorism naval task force

News release

April 1st, 2019 – Ottawa – National Defence/Canadian Armed Forces

Canada has significantly increased its contribution to Operation ARTEMIS, the Canadian Armed Forces’ (CAF) ongoing contribution to counter-terrorism and maritime security operations in Middle Eastern and East African waters.

Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Regina, Naval Replenishment Unit (NRU) Asterix, and a CP-140 Aurora aircraft have joined the Canadian-led Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150).  CTF 150 is a task force under Combined Maritime Forces, a naval coalition of 33 nations, that promotes security and stability in Middle Eastern and East African waters.

HMCS Regina, along with its embarked CH-148 Cyclone helicopter, and NRU Asterix will work in concert with several other coalition ships to patrol the waters of the Arabian Gulf and off the east coast of Africa, and the CP-140 Aurora will be used to conduct maritime surveillance. All of these efforts are in support of CTF 150’s mandate to enforce maritime security and the free-flow of international trade and commerce in some of the world’s busiest and most challenging waterways.

ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY LED TASK FORCE MAKING AN IMPACT ON REGIONAL SMUGGLING

After just over four months of command of Combined Task Force (CTF) 150, the Canadian-led task force has made strong contributions to the Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) mission to increase regional maritime security and halt illicit smuggling in the Middle East.

Since Canada assumed command of CTF-150 on 27 January, 2021, the task force’s counter-narcotics efforts have been substantial. In partnership with navies from the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Canada, CTF-150 has led a total of 26 drug busts. (More at above link).

Date of Narcotics SeizureShip in Direct Support to CTF-150Type of Drug SeizedWeight (Rounded) in lbs and Kg
31 Jan, 2021USS Philippine Sea, US NavyHeroin604 lbs (274 kg)
4 Feb, 2021HMS Montrose, Royal NavyHeroin606 lbs (275 kg)
6 Feb, 2021HMS Montrose, Royal NavyHashish, Heroin and Methamphetamine4,471 lbs Hashish, 147 lbs Heroin, 110 lbs Methamphetamine (2,028 kg Hashish, 67 Heroin, 50 kg Methamphetamine)
12 Feb, 2021FS Jean Bart, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish6526 lbs (2960 kg)
12 Mar, 2021HMS Montrose, Royal NavyHashish, and Heroin6,182 lbs Hashish, 110 lbs Heroin (2,804 kg Hashish, 50 kg Heroin)
19 Mar, 2021FS Nivôse, Marine Nationale (France)Heroin and Methamphetamine686 lbs Heroin, 809

lbs Methamphetamine (311 kg Heroin,
367 kg Methamphetamine)
22 Mar, 2021FS Surcouf, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish1,323 lbs (600 kg)
22 Mar, 2021FS Tonnerre, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish6,762 lbs (3,067 kg)
24 Mar, 2021FS Tonnerre, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish7,200 lbs (3,266 kg)
25 Mar, 2021FS Nivôse, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish1,354 lbs (614 kg)
5 Apr, 2021FS Nivôse, Marine Nationale (France)Hashish, and Heroin24 lbs Heroin, 7 lbs Hashish (11 kg Heroin, 3 kg Hashish)
8 Apr, 2021FS Nivôse, Marine Nationale (France)Heroin and Methamphetamine463 lbs (210 kg) Heroin, 564 lbs (256 kg) Methamphetamine
9 Apr, 2021FS Guépratte, Marine Nationale (France)Heroin and Methamphetamine165 lbs Heroin, 1,380 lbs Methamphetamine (75 kg Heroin, 626 kg Methamphetamine)
14 Apr, 2021FS Nivôse, Marine Nationale (France)Heroin661 lbs (300 kg)
17 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyMethamphetamine3 lbs (1.5 kg)
23 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHeroin2,835 lbs (1,286 kg)
24 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyMethamphetamine794 lbs (360 kg)
29 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish5,512 lbs (2,500 kg)
30 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish1,883 lbs (854 kg)
30 Apr, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish7,685 lbs (3,486 kg)
2 May, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish and Methamphetamine1,378 lbs Hashish, 1,157 lbs Methamphetamine (625 kg Hashish, 525 kg Methamphetamine)
4 May, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHeroin732 lbs (332 kg)
11 May, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish and Methamphetamine13,003 lbs Hashish, 831 lbs Methamphetamine (5,898 kg Hashish, 377 kg Methamphetamine)
12 May, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHashish13,007 lbs (4,150 kg Hashish)
12 May, 2021HMCS Calgary, Royal Canadian NavyHeroin and Methamphetamine1,892 lbs Heroin, 1,109 lbs Methamphetamine (858 kg Heroin, 503 kg Methamphetamine)
12 May, 2021FS GuépratteHashish6,135 lbs (2,783 kg)

CTF-150-CAN-Seizures.jpg

Back