• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the fence

addictedguy

Inactive
Reaction score
Without going into too many details, I have a gambling addiction that is spinning out of control.

It isn't affecting my work, but I am on the fence about reporting this to seek help.

Things I am worried about is it will affect how the CF views my integrity, affect my career etc. I very much love my job and serving my country, and I am quite embarrassed to admit this about myself, and I really have no other bad habits, I don't drink, smoke, etc. but this is something that is affecting my personal life

I am going to report reguardless of what is said in this post. I just would like to see some insight about what may happen so I am prepared.

Some main questions I have are:

1. Will this lead me down the path for a "Recommended to be Released?"

2. Will I be pulled from my current duties?

3. Have you or someone you know went through a addiction program in the CF and managed to keep thier career intact?

Anything else you want to mention feel free.

Thanks,

Others may disagree.

In my experience, the CF values integrity, courage and hard work. Go to your Chain of Command, be forthcoming with them. Say that you have an addiction, that you don't like it, that you want to work on it to be a better soldier and a better person. MOST soldiers and officers I know will salute your courage and honesty and try to help you. If it hasn't affected your work, then you're not setting yourself up for disciplinary action or administrative action. You have not broken the law and your performance is not being affected. Your integrity would suffer from NOT talking about it, rather than doing so.

Admitting a problem is the first step to solving it and shows integrity, devotion to duty and maturity of character.

My  :2c:.

Good luck.

You do not have to tell your chain of command . Go to MIR and ask to speak to an adictions councellor. He or she will take it from there.

Cheers,

And thank you both for your replies. I am unsure how to proceed really, I know I don't have to report it to my COC, but they will probably find out sooner or later. I would hate for them to feel I was hiding important details from them.

I'm just used to being as transparent as possible, and I know this sounds like an oxymoron by haven't comming forward with this.

Thanks for the input.

Back