• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer Selection Board

Nothing new in what they told you - it is consistent with what we‘ve all discussed already.

The board was initially scheduled to meet May 19-23. Given that May 19 was a stat holiday, the board would have commenced on May 20 at the earliest (although it may have started later, since my CFRC said they finished on the 29th). Applications/files would have to be at Borden no later than the 20th - exactly what they told you.

They evaluate the files and rank them at some point between May 20 and May 29. At some point after this, they decide who gets offers, and notify candidates of their success or failure - likely within a few weeks of the board‘s conclusion (i.e. after the 29th). Again, consistent with what you were told.

The bottom line is that we‘ll all get a call, good or bad, over the next few weeks.

That makes sense..

I guess I am just the one who cried wolf...

I will be quiet now...
:cool:

For those who are interested (or waiting).

My contact at the Recruiting Centre called me today, to tell me she had spoke with Borden staff. They told her that the results of the scheduled May 19-23 selection board should (stress should) be out next week.

Apparently there is another board meeting this week, she was unsure what it‘s purpose was. Probably for a totally different entry plan. At any rate, it is likely many of the same individuals who were on the earlier board, which is probably why the results are delayed.

I figure we should know sometime in early September :rolleyes: .

Called yesterday - they haven‘t gotten any offers for any officer trades yet here in Calgary.
Cheers,
Ralph.

I AM IN!!!!

Gentlemen - the results have been released. I just got a call from the recruiting centre today at about 3pm. The actual offers have not yet been processed, but the list of selected individuals was sent to the CFRCs today.

So no dates yet, but confirmation that I was selected for 023-Infantry Officer.

Good luck to everyone else. Call your recruiting centre.

Congrats Murph!

I will let you all know as soon as I hear (or don‘t hear...)

Whew. One year and one day from when I dropped off my application, I‘m in. Now, artillery - that‘s the one with the guns that go boom, right? ;)
Thank god arty got the mortars so I can at least see what the front line looks like without binoculars.
Good luck to everyone still waiting. See you at St-Jean - I‘ll be the guy with the short hair...
Cheers,
Ralph.

Awesome news Ralph!!

Now if only my recruiting center will get there act together... called them an hour ago and the corporal sounded pissed... said that they hadn‘t heard anything...

I think combat arms and engineering are two different lists (the recruiter said they had gotten the first one in, as opposed to everything) so I‘m sure it‘s still on the way...I know how you feel, though...
Cheers,
Ralph.

Congratulations Murph and Ralph on being accepted as Reg Force Officers! :)

Congratulations, guys... now drop and give me 20! :D

If I may ask --- how old are you guys who‘ve been accepted as combat arms officers? I‘m trying to figure out if I have a chance of getting my thirty-cough year old butt in.

I am 30 (will turn 31 this November). From what I see, as long as you‘re able to do reasonably well on the fitness, aptitude, and medical tests, you should be good to go.

Does anyone know anything about commissioning from the ranks? :mg: can a reserve MCPL or SGT be commissioned to reg force officer?
How often does CFR occur? Is this something that you request or do you have to be nominated by existing officers?

Re: Noid‘s question - 32. The recruiter seemed fairly disinterested (I brought it up) and remarked that the main thing is that you don‘t join so late you can‘t get your 20 years in. I can‘t imagine they‘d ever hire a 45-year-old to be an infantry officer, but who knows?
Cheers,
Ralph.

Thanks, Murph and Ralph, for your forthright replies. I feel much better knowing that not everybody joining is a sharp-as-nails 22 year old who can run 4-minute miles all day.

Quick question for you guys, If you join as reg officer and you want to, or are taking degree program not offered at military college it says that you will be permited to continue at your univ. Who do you train with after class, weekends ect. Also at this point it says they group you into moc catagories, do you not get to choose your own moc ie. armoured officer. I am taking criminology but don‘t want to pursue military police. Who chooses the moc?

I‘m not sure how it works if you are already in university. However, if you are graduating high school and want to take a degree at a civilian university through the military, you apply through the ROTP program, as if you were going to RMC. If accepted, and the decision is made that you go to a civilian university, your only formal training seems to be in the summer, when you do your officer courses.

The only person I know in this situation was an officer cadet attending university where I live. He showed up at my Reserve unit for our parade nights and some training weekends, but was under no obligation to do so, nor was he paid any extra (ROTP guys already get a monthly allowance).

As for the MOC, I would think it is the same as any other CF applicant i.e. an individual applies for the trade he/she wants, at some point in the process. I can‘t say this is a fact, but it would seem logical.

Back