• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

O'Connor in the news again

Hunter

Inactive
Reaction score
I just heard on the news that Defence Minister Gord O'Connor dismisses criticisms of personal equipment made by troops.  The report said that he felt the complaint of one soldier that the TAC vest only holds 4 mags when they need 10 is off base. 

According to O'Connor, the TAC vest holds 80 round in 4 mags (funny - I learned on BMQ that a C-7 mag holds 30 rounds, not 20), and that is plenty.  I'm the first to admit I've never been on the pointy end, but the way I see it if the troops need 10 mags when they're out beyond the wire, then 10 mags and the equipment to to carry them should be readily available to the troops, and that's all there is to it.  He also said he did not approve of allowing the troops to use aftermarket equipment.

His quote was something like this:

"With 4 magazines the soildier is carrying 80 rounds.  With 10 magazines that's 200 rounds.  This is more than enough ammunition for what they are doing."

Anyone care to comment? 

Again it seems like the old doctrine isn't catching up the new doctrine.

Name one politician who isn't aware of what exactly we do and how we do it?

That article is going to be nothing but trouble and will cause a lot of grief for guys in the field, who will now be forced to use substandard equipment and possibly wind up dead if one gets cut off and runs out of ammo.

Rather than defend the system, O'Connor should be asking questions, and Hillier should be taking names of those responsible for the equipment.    

Maybe we can come to a comprimise and you can carry more mags in your pockets of your combat shirt. That should hold 6 extra mags bringing you up to the ten you need.....

NO WAIT SCRATCH THAT IDEA...I just remembered that the pockets are still designed for the C-1 Magazine... :warstory:

Until then all units and sub units please submit your UCR, and keep submitting them until they get the point.

It was just a quick piece on the radio news, I haven't read anything on it yet.  I am however going to write to to him (He is my local MP) and express my concern over his comments.

C1 mag - was that the one for the FN rifle?

Hunter said:
I just heard on the news that Defence Minister Gord O'Connor dismisses criticisms of personal equipment made by troops.  The report said that he felt the complaint of one soldier that the TAC vest only holds 4 mags when they need 10 is off base. 

According to O'Connor, the TAC vest holds 80 round in 4 mags (funny - I learned on BMQ that a C-7 mag holds 30 rounds, not 20), and that is plenty.  I'm the first to admit I've never been on the pointy end, but the way I see it if the troops need 10 mags when they're out beyond the wire, then 10 mags and the equipment to to carry them should be readily available to the troops, and that's all there is to it.  He also said he did not approve of allowing the troops to use aftermarket equipment.

His quote was something like this:

"With 4 magazines the soildier is carrying 80 rounds.  With 10 magazines that's 200 rounds.  This is more than enough ammunition for what they are doing."

Anyone care to comment?   

Link?

http://www.cfra.com/headlines/index.asp?cat=2&nid=37615
O'Connor To Check Troops' Complaints
Norman Jack
Monday, March 20, 2006

Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor is promising to look into claims that Canadian troops aren't properly equipped for their mission to Afghanistan.

Several Canadians soldiers have complained they've had to shell out their own money because they don't have the equipment necessary, or because the items they've been issued won't stand up to the harsh desert of Afghanistan. Some say they've had to buy their own boots, tactical vests, and rucksacks.

But O'Connor tells CFRA news that Canadian troops have been in Afghanistan for four years now, and this is the first time such complaints have been raised.

O'Connor also says he expects the Conservative to be able to fulfill its pledge to increase the size of the military.

He notes recruiting is on the up-swing, and should increase faster once the new government straightens out the bureaucratic tangles in the recruiting process.

Well a long as Mr. O'Conner doesn't mothball the Centurions in Waitwright. Or Close CFB Chatam, (We have a lot of Voodoo's up there you know) I am sure we can give him a third chance. Until then we just keep our 77 sets tuned into the CBC for more on the story.

But O'Connor tells CFRA news that Canadian troops have been in Afghanistan for four years now, and this is the first time such complaints have been raised

I guess he never bothered looking up the UCR's we had written  ::)

and how are you supposed to get to your mags in your pockets when they are covered up by a frag and tac vest? ;)

Dear ********* (aka MND)  ;D

You know what scares me -- I am beginning to think the Liberals may have been better  :-\

PM inbound

Be my guest

--- FWIW I am going to write a rather scortching letter to him.  He's proving to be OUT of the loop on many issues - I think know Harper botched this appointment.

Back