• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupational Transfer to MP

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just to start I have searched most topic's in reference to MP/Military police/police to try and find an answer to my question to no avail.

Anyone who has read some of my post's knows I have been seeking other employment opportunities in the past little while,not due to bitterness,just for a change of pace.Something new.I have looked into the RCMP however would like to also consider the MP branch.

My main question is what training you must have to become an MP prior to applying.As a reg force combat arm's guy It is not feasible to quit the army to do a police foundation's course.I have a wife and children to support and could not take the financial hit at this time.Having said that,I can deal with correspondence courses over the next little while to work towards the Police foundations course found at Algonquin college in Pembroke.

The problem lies where the program call's for a portion of it to be done at the campus (hand's on application I guess) which I cannot take time off work to do.

I was talking to a supply guy in Texas during EX and he had mentioned he only had a couple more courses to complete and that the MP branch would accept him with a few college credit courses he had done.Now I rarely believe what I hear through the rumour mill so I figured I would pose the question here prior to approaching the BPSO.

So how does a regular force guy OT to MP? What previous training would I need?Or any?
Right now it seems impossible for me to go MP unless I get this course.

Hi,

my info is dated back to early 2000, but I was talking to an MP I know and he did the remuster from 031, no prequal's, just a good service record and clean civvie criminal record. You might try posting one of the MP forums to see about some first hand, and more recent experience.

Cheers.

jim303 said:
You might try posting one of the MP forums to see about some first hand, and more recent experience.

If you're refering to others websites, it may be usefull for him that you post which ones...

Yrys said:
If you're refering to others websites, it may be usefull for him that you post which ones...

Sorry, I should have been clearer..
I was thinking more along the lines of the MP Branch forum and a couple of others here on Army.ca.
There was an MP site, I think it was called 'The Guardhouse' on the web as well that might be helpful.

Cheers!

PS: Are you 031? I served in the Regimental Police section under some MP's eons ago, I am unsure if they even still have them, been out since 2001.
And the RCMP are not all that they are portrayed to be, like the army they get more than their share of idiots, maybe more so, spent almost a decade there.

X-mo-1979 said:
Anyone who has read some of my post's knows I have been seeking other employment opportunities in the past little while,not due to bitterness,just for a change of pace.Something new.I have looked into the RCMP however would like to also consider the MP branch.

X-mo-1979,  Regardless of any prerequisites you might require or the nature of their acquirement. A few other points and questions have come to mind.

It would appear you have spent some considerable time in the Forces and in particular the Combat Arms Branch.  In what Rank or Capacity or Specialization, you seem to have not mentioned. These points might assist Career MP's or LEO's in offering advice or suggestions in regard to your plans.

The Occupation you suggest, wether the Military Police or a Civilian Agency usually is not chosen on a whim or a change of pace or something new or different. That is not to say that one cannot come from a completely different line of occupation and not do well and usually make it a life time Career. However, in most of those cases, the applicants almost always had some inkling or relative or disire in that  direction.

You also should consider that maybe you are not just cut out for this profession, I can assure you, that factor will make or break you. I would suggest you gather a great deal of information from MP and LEO personnel in regard to all aspects of their Occupation and Lives before you decide to enter into Law Enforcement either Civilian or Military.

Cheers.

FastEddy said:

X-mo-1979,  Regardless of any prerequisites you might require or the nature of their acquirement. A few other points and questions have come to mind.

It would appear you have spent some considerable time in the Forces and in particular the Combat Arms Branch.  In what Rank or Capacity or Specialization, you seem to have not mentioned. These points might assist Career MP's or LEO's in offering advice or suggestions in regard to your plans.

The Occupation you suggest, wether the Military Police or a Civilian Agency usually is not chosen on a whim or a change of pace or something new or different. That is not to say that one cannot come from a completely different line of occupation and not do well and usually make it a life time Career. However, in most of those cases, the applicants almost always had some inkling or relative or disire in that  direction.

You also should consider that maybe you are not just cut out for this profession, I can assure you, that factor will make or break you. I would suggest you gather a great deal of information from MP and LEO personnel in regard to all aspects of their Occupation and Lives before you decide to enter into Law Enforcement either Civilian or Military.

Cheers.
Well said Fast Eddy!

FastEddy said:

Cheers.

7 years
Mcpl
Combat trade.

X-mo are you RegF or PRes? Sorry, a little SLOOOOW today.

Anyways, if you're PRes, take a look at the RCMP Auxiliary Constable program in your area, or Municipal Reserve Constable programs. It's an intro to police work for citizens who want to help out and make a difference in their community. You get basic training in Criminal Code, UoF, Powers of Arrest and other valuable training. It would give you a taste of what LEO would do, not all but a taste, and if it still appeals to you, maybe then you can make the change?

Just a suggestion :)

To answer your question, X-mo, for any remusters to MP, whether from regular force or reserve, the educational requirement is:

- two full credit college/university courses that relate to policing, or

- a two year law/security diploma

I recently OT'ed to MP from another trade with 2 and a half years of university but no law/security course.  By all means, if you have an interest in being an MP, grab those two courses and see your BPSO.  After applying, during the military police assessment centre, you are given a very good job profile of an MP.  As well, you can speak to your local MP detachment about doing a ride along to see if this is what you want to do.  Cheers  :cdn:

MedTech said:
X-mo are you RegF or PRes? Sorry, a little SLOOOOW today.

I'm Reg force.
Many of my family have/are been into policing.
MapleLeaf4Evr said:
To answer your question, X-mo, for any remusters to MP, whether from regular force or reserve, the educational requirement is:

- two full credit college/university courses that relate to policing, or

- a two year law/security diploma

I recently OT'ed to MP from another trade with 2 and a half years of university but no law/security course.  By all means, if you have an interest in being an MP, grab those two courses and see your BPSO.  After applying, during the military police assessment centre, you are given a very good job profile of an MP.  As well, you can speak to your local MP detachment about doing a ride along to see if this is what you want to do.  Cheers  :cdn:

Bang on man.That's what I was looking for.As for "full credit courses" would that be like a semester of criminology,or Canadian law etc?
Good suggestion on the ride along.

Hey X-mo sorry like I said slow day that day. Full credit coursed are 3 credit courses. A university or college course is typically 3 credit hours, which is a full credit course. Some maybe 4 but Crim are all 3 credit courses. Hope that helps.

Quick question's for MP OT's

In your opinions how long does it take to get your rank back, if at all?
Do PER/PDR's from your previous trade have any weight, or is it start from scratch, at the bottom of the barrel again?
I've heard average time to get your fives is around 18 months is that true?
How difficult is it to get stuff like invest courses and the like?
Or is it like every other trade and get in line and do your time?
Any other tidbits of info I should know as an OT would be appreciated

Questions are geared more towards OT's and their experience but anybody with any info please chime in.
Its my first and hopefully last OT so I have a boat load of questions.
Thanx

Not a MP OT but I've had a ton work for me so...

grayman said:
In your opinions how long does it take to get your rank back, if at all?
Most OTs do very well WRT promotion to their former rank because they already have the military ethos and leadership skills, as long as they can master the technical side of the trade.
Do PER/PDR's from your previous trade have any weight, or is it start from scratch, at the bottom of the barrel again?
Hmm...good question, don't have a clue and didn't really think about it before now. 
I've heard average time to get your fives is around 18 months is that true?
There is no "maximum time to get re-qualified to your former level".  You get in line with the rest of the folks.
How difficult is it to get stuff like invest courses and the like?
If all things are equal and a non-OT and OT are in the running for a course in their first couple of years, I tend to look at OTs first for courses because they are more "settled" compared to a direct entry.  After 2 years or so though, you're a MP just like any other.

Ref PDRs/PERs.  These are not supposed to be kept by the Unit for more than a year.  You have your copies in your "Shadow File" at home and a copy in your Pers file (which is not accessable by just anyone), but the unit is not supposed to keep a record of your PER.  Your next supervisor has no right to see your PER from last year.  Your next supervisor, however, may inherit your past twelve months of PDRs, in order to have some input as to how to write up your next PER.

We have to keep PDRs for 3 years, so those would be available but have no bearing on the current year's PER.  You're 100% right about the PERs at the local level but what I'm wondering about is if an Inf PER would be viewed by an MP board if it was within the three year window?

garb811 said:
................evel but what I'm wondering about is if an Inf PER would be viewed by an MP board if it was within the three year window?

I think that that would be "highly improper".

I will have 4 years soon in june, did reserve infantry, now im a MSEop reg forces.
I wonder, I know i have no choice to have a cours in law to transfer MP right.
So i wonder i know they are in realy big demande for MP, is there a way i can make the army pay for a law cours ? or if i want to do that without lost my car and house, for payment, quit the army, take a cours, then join again ?
What is your suggestion or advice.
thanks in advance

Hi, there is a couple of posts which indicate some of your options, for my own experience, I remustered about 9 years ago from the Infantry, at the time they were no requirement for law or any other related courses. You can also see your BPSO, he will have all the answers for you, the road for becoming an MP might be long however, it is worth it, good luck.

As it stands right now, OTs do not require the full diploma, just two "full" courses in a related subject.

:camo:
Somebody i know tell me something about if somebody want to go MP and i dont have a cours, they still gonna accept, but give me the cours ? is that true ?

Back