• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupation

Earlam

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going to finish getting my references together and hand in my first batch of paperwork tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what I should be asking for (I'll be applying for the Primary Reserve in Winnipeg) with regards to occupation.

I have some ideas as to what I'd like to do, but I'm afraid I won't get anything at all anytime soon if I ask only for what I'd like most, not taking into account what the CF would like more of.

So.....
What trades are in demand?

Thanks,
Earl Mitchell

I'm keeping it pretty broad..... Some I'm more interested in than others, but here's a list of things I've looked through and picked out....

R021 Field Artillery
R022 Artillery (Air Defence)
R031 Infantry
R933 Traffic Technician

R226 Aerospace Telecom and Info Systems Technician

R052 Line Maintainer
R215 Signals Operator
R836 RMS Clerk
R911 Supply Technician

In most of these areas I have either little or no experience..... but I figure that's what the Reserves are for (so I have the experience should I go Reg Force).

Whoops....... left out R011 Armoured Soldier.

Not sure that there is a reserve armoured unit around here though, so it probably doesn't matter.....

It is hard to say as I dont have nay numbers on reserve quotas, but going by the reg force pml, Sig Op and Lineman are the two most underborne trades out fo what you listed.  It shouldnt be too hard to get into areserve cbt arms trade, they always need people.  How come you dont want to go reg force?  Either way make sure you stick to what you want to do, dont pick something just cause you will get in quicker, you may get stuck doing a job you hate, just for lack of patience. :cdn:

Earlam said:
I'm going to finish getting my references together and hand in my first batch of paperwork tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly what I should be asking for (I'll be applying for the Primary Reserve in Winnipeg) with regards to occupation.

I have some ideas as to what I'd like to do, but I'm afraid I won't get anything at all anytime soon if I ask only for what I'd like most, not taking into account what the CF would like more of.

So.....
What trades are in demand?

Thanks,
Earl Mitchell

May I suggest that you go and talk with the recruiters at the Reserves units you are interested in.  They will be able to tell you if there are any opening in their respective units.  I believe, that some of the trades you are interested in, aren't open to Reserves.

Check out this website, which listed the Reserve units in Winnipeg.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfwa/units_city.htm

Thanks guys.

I don't want to go Reg Force quite yet, as I'm not completely sure it's a step I'm willing to take.  I wouldn't want to go to basic immediately after high school and then have that kind of a longer-term commitment to the military before figuring out exactly where I'm at.
I'm strongly considering joining the Reg Force at a later time, but if I'm planning to make a career out of it, or dedicate several years of my life, I'd like to be sure it's what I think best, after having had the opportunity to assess all of my options.
I've always wanted to join the military in some capacity...... I'm just not prepared to sign over my soul quite yet (not that I won't be in the future..... and I'm sure there's no document saying that the CF owns your soul once you join Reg Force).

Sig Op was one of my higher choices, and there's a reserve communications unit around here........ hmm......

Thanks for the URL and the reccomendation Eowyn..... I suppose handing in my papers can wait a few days while I call around.

Thanks again,
Earl Mitchell

Back