• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Number of pilot admissions per year

WOW way under, I am about 160 - 162ish and I think I am very short and very close to the line! Mind you I did sit in a Griffon the other day, moved the seat as far ahead as it goes and had to move it back, so I wonder how short that person was! I also heard they measure your body parts and even though you meet the height req, you could still not make it due to body parts being too short, long whatever! So elwood did you pass? and what type of info can you share? Pm if you can (and want)

Yes, I passed for pilot and navigator.

At Downsview, they take a picture of your body against a blue screen which determines which CF aircraft you'll fit into. I'm a 6'00" fit male, so I had no problems fitting into every CF a/c.

If you make it to Downsview, the medical selection team will determine if you're too tall or short to be a CF pilot.

There is much more than just height that will determine if your mesurements are okay to be a CF pilot.  As Elwood said, DRDC in Toronto will determine if you are fit or not when I went through, it was the good old ruler.  Glad to see DRDC got technological on that matter!!

Max

SupersonicMax said:
There is much more than just height that will determine if your mesurements are okay to be a CF pilot. 

True, I am also roughly 6'1'' and didn't fit the Griff or JRanger...

Freebird said:
Yeah, I'm also wondering how competitive your grades need to be.  I'm a chem major, and I have a 70-75% average, but mostly because my program has an average of about 60%, so I'm wondering if that plays into it.  Because I mean if all I cared about were grades I could've gone into a much easier program with an average of 80-85%.

I wouldn`t overly worry about your marks. I got into DEO pilot with an average of about 65% in university (60% being the pass/fail mark). The interview was 1.5hrs long and we spent a whole 3 min talking about my marks and school. Needless to say, there are a lot of other things they will ask you about during the interview. That being said don`t use what I said as an excuse to slack off in school. Ultimately apply and you will either get in or not, worry about it will change nothing. There are also plenty of other threads on here discussing what goes on in an interview if you need help with what they look at.

Neri,

Just curious...what was your flight related experience at the time you applied??

Did you have a PPL? Commercial? Air cadets? Reserves? Ect.

zorro said:
Neri,

Just curious...what was your flight related experience at the time you applied??

Doesn't really matter I think....

Max

Each DEO application is rated on 90 points divided into three parts:

60 Interview
15 CFAT
15 Education

That is about all I know when it comes to the merit list. During my interview I was told my Res service will count as a bonus.

zorro said:
Neri,

Bunch of time in the reserves (no tours) and a PPL/IFR. As for how much it really mattered, I have no idea.

Previous flight experience doesn't matter much. Someone on my ACS course failed, and he was very close to completing his commercial licence. Flying at a local airport is fun as heck, but I think a PPL or CPL is only important to the recruiting process if you need to attempt ACS again.

If I can throw out a good tip for anyone going to an interview, show that you're interested in aviation, and learn about the CF training process. My interviewer was also interested in what sports I play, how much I work out a week and even my hobbies such as art and music. He only mentioned my GPA once. 

I had no previous flight experience. I do have 4 tours, including Afghanistan. I am in an operational Regiment that is doing back to back to back to back Tank Sqn rotos, and maybe even a Recce roto thrown in next year. I wish I had time to do some Flight schooling! I was picked up! Now that I am going to the BTL I am going to the local flying schools and getting time in the sims and what not, all in prep for ASC. I did know alot about the Air Force and talked to a few pilots in Edmonton, so I think thats what helped out my case!

Yeah formally and on the record they tell you that previous experience means nothing, but the Capt. at my CFRC told me otherwise......

I don't mean to say that it helps with ASC, because quite honestly the little time I had before I went to Trenton (maybe about 5 hours) only helped in familiarizing me with the instruments (which can really be done using MS Flight Sim for a fraction of the price). The feel of CAPSS is COMPLETELY different that a real plane.... COMPLETELY. To put it lightly, the sim is ALWAYS going to hell........there wasnt one time when I could sit back and relax and not be correcting........but still it wasn't as bad as some on these boards make it out to be....and other than the 4-5 hours of plane rides I had going to Trenton, I had no prior flight training...only interest.

But yes as for being picked up, the recruiters to match you with a MOC that best suits your skills/experience/education and all the rest that goes with the app. (based on the choices you put down of course). Elwood is right, one's file consists of MANY different areas of your life such as he listed....same for me I think they touched on GPA once.

Though I was told that to be more competitive the next time around (since I had no cadet experience/reserve experience) he suggested I get complete my PPL. Its not that it will help you get through subsequent training or ASC, but tjhat it shows that your genuinely interested in aviation, and not that it just looks like a "cool" job.

From my understanding of ROTP applications, they're out of 18 points total, 9 for military potential and 9 for academic potential. I believe academic potential accounts for your high school average + # of post secondary years under your belt. Not sure about the exact point reward system though. And military potential is made up of everything else in your app., CFAT, work experience, physical fitness, leadership ability, experiences related to the MOC you are applying to, volunteer work, umm some other stuff I'm forgetting, and military experience (ie. RESERVES/CADETS-->which I didn't have).

If I could make one suggestion to upcoming ROTP applicants, it would be to show you have an interest in the MOC you are applying to, as well as building some experience through cadets or reserves.

I'm not a recruiter, but this definately sums up my experience of the process......well in terms of being offered the position anyway.....

-R-

So once you are selected for an interview, what types of things are considered important criteria; like what traits exemplify who would be suitable or not? Anyone who has gone through this process already would be a great help!
Thanks

JRM4 said:
So once you are selected for an interview, what types of things are considered important criteria; like what traits exemplify who would be suitable or not? Anyone who has gone through this process already would be a great help!
Thanks

The interview for pilot is the same as other occupations, of which many questions and answers are already in the recruiting section of the forum. No surprises here: leadership, good grades, extracurriculars, etc. are all important. Know the basics of the job you're applying for.

I cannot believe someone got into DEO pilot with a 65% university GPA. I thought you have to have at least like 75-78%. I think I'm going to apply as well.

Back