• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nova Scotia Legion bartender killed

Pearson

Inactive
Reaction score
Fair dealings etc..

http://www.herald.ca/Front/549133.html

Legion bartender killed
Worried family finds body
By IAN FAIRCLOUGH Staff Reporter

LAWRENCETOWN — A 28-year-old Annapolis County man was arrested Saturday afternoon in the killing of a bartender whose body was found at the Royal Canadian Legion in Lawrencetown after midnight Friday night.

Sources say family members found the body of Peter Vanderpluijm, 59, of Lawrencetown inside the legion when they went looking for him after he didn’t come home.

Annapolis RCMP said Mr. Vanderpluijm had been assaulted. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

CTV News cited unconfirmed reports that Mr. Vanderpluijm was beaten to death while the legion was being robbed at closing Friday night.

Police say they were called to the legion at 12:55 a.m. A mobile command centre was set up, and Main Street and several properties were cordoned off. Forensic investigators in white coveralls went into and out of the legion throughout the day.

Legion president Annette Dumbrell said Saturday afternoon that police told her they would be over later in the day to talk to her and compile a list of things that might be missing from the legion.

Ms. Dumbrell said the legion would have closed at 11 p.m., or perhaps earlier if it was a slow night, and the bartender would lock the doors before cashing out for the night.

She said there were no functions at the legion on Friday night, so there probably would have been just a few people playing video lottery terminals.

She said many people had been calling her, but all she’d heard were rumours.

"My phone’s been ringing off the hook," she said. "I don’t think that this would be a deliberate smash-and-grab," Ms. Dumbrell said. "I don’t know what could have happened."

She said the bartender’s death has shaken her.

"You live in a little community and think you’re safe," she said. "It’s frightening."

Patti Watson lives next door to the legion. She said she and family members didn’t know anything was wrong until flashing lights woke them up.

"We got up in the night and a police car was in the middle of the road," she said.

The walls of her old Victorian home are thick, she said, so even when there are functions at the legion, they don’t hear anything.

She said there was no sign of police when they went to bed between 12:30 and 1 a.m.

Ms. Watson said she was told that someone went to a house on the street overnight demanding a drive to Bridgetown. That neighbour called police, who heard from the bartender’s family at about the same time.

The bartender’s truck was still in the parking lot Saturday afternoon, Ms. Watson said. She believes he was married with two children.

"The poor souls, especially at this time of year," she said.

Ms. Watson said murder was the last thing she was thinking of when she saw the flashing lights overnight.

"We thought it was road checks for drunk driving," she said.

When she woke up Saturday morning to find yellow police tape around her yard, she thought a pedestrian may have been struck, she said.

"We’re always telling people we don’t have a crime rate because it’s so low," Ms. Watson said.

"It scared me a little. It’s totally unexpected. When we saw the police tape, we didn’t think anything about a violent crime."

Frank Longley, who lives up the street from the legion and can see it from his house, said he’s not frightened but he does have concerns.

"We don’t have all the details yet," he said.

"You have two or three different stories and you have no idea which are true."

He had also heard that someone had tried to get a lift out of Lawrencetown overnight.

The murder is the third in the normally peaceful Annapolis Valley in the past three months.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP to the victim, condolences to his family.

:cdn:

Peter was a veteran of Gulf War 1 on board  Protecteur (!st Crew). He retired as an ex P1 Stoker in 91, and has been working at that legion since retirement

I've seen the news. I'm sorry for Peter and his family at this time of year. I hope they find the *#it and are not light on him.

thats horrible...

how anyone can do something like this, let alone at this time of year is just beyond me.

condolences to the family.
I hope whoever did this gets whats coming to them.

Deepest condolences to his family................. The Legion? Is nothing sacred?

Regards

Back