• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Not meeting physical requirments

Jschamber

Inactive
Reaction score
What do you guys think about heading into the forces while I barely meet the physical fitness requirements?

I want to get into shape, but where I live, I find it hard to get the motivation to keep working out on a daily basis.  I live in a small town, ~300 people, and I live an hour away from any city or large town. I have my license yet, but no vehicle, so I can't drive myself there.

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my ass off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

I just want your guy's opinion on the matter.

*You don't need a gym to workout, there are a number of programs that do not use anything other than your bodyweight.

*Going to BMQ while meeting only the minimum standard means that you are that much more likely to get injured or just having to sit in pat platoon and wait till you get fit.

*Having just the minimum standard means that the day before the test you could find yourself doing some strenuous activity that just might cause you to fail the EXPRESS TEST.

Research some bodyweight exercises and/or exercises that requires minimal investment in terms of equipment, check out the local high school or Community Centre for a weight room  or improvise with household objects.

Jschamber said:
What do you guys think about heading into the forces while I barely meet the physical fitness requirements?

I want to get into shape, but where I live, I find it hard to get the motivation to keep working out on a daily basis.  I live in a small town, ~300 people, and I live an hour away from any city or large town. I have my license yet, but no vehicle, so I can't drive myself there.

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my *** off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

The minimum physical standards are a joke, and are deplored by pretty much anyone in uniform I speak to about them. As an NCO I don't take them seriously, and I would be skeptical and scornful of anyone barely scraping by who thinks they are ready.

BMQ is not there to get you in shape. You should be ready physically when you apply. The military is HARD WORK. It's supposed to be. You will be in the profession of killing people and breaking their stuff, when they're trying to do the same to you. Regardless of what trade you apply for that same risk is potentially present, and so that is at least something that influences our training system in the early stages.

Nothing stops you from applying before you are prepared if you're able to scrape the bare minimums, but you will suffer. BMQ is designed for people whoa re in good enough shape to do it, and then there are subsequent courses that could well be considerably harder, particularly if you go army.

How far away you live is irrelevant. There are 168 hours in the week. If you can't fit in getting yourself in decent shape, you have no business trying to join up. We need people who are motivated, not just trying to get by. It's not a matter of being able to handle the stress, but rather of your body being physiologically ready for the demands that will be placed on it.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training. And you will be a burden to others in doing so. Get yourself in shape, if you really want this, and then give it a go. If not, please save the time it would take to process you through for someone who takes it seriously.

Yes, this is harsh, but it's completely honest.

In order to avoid any risk of injury while at BMQ, you should aim to beat the basic requirement as much as possible and remain at that standard as much as you can.  It's better to use your time wisely and slowly build up to the standard (and beyond) rather than be ho-hum about it right now and try to get in shape as fast as you can if you're offered employment. I think everyone struggles with motivation every now and then, but you need to rise above it.  The better shape you are in heading into BMQ, the easier you'll be able to manage.

I think you should head into the forces ready to exceed the basic physical requirements; that said, many people get through basic and just make the standard. 
The application process can be lengthy, so I wouldn't have any fear about applying now if you're already at the minimums, and using the time between now and the completion of the process to improve your fitness level.

The thing I would worry about, based on what you've said, is the fact that you have a hard time motivating yourself to stay in shape.  Motivating yourself is an act of sheer will.  You'll need to have that in order to be successful in your training.  When you have blisters on your feet, you're tired from carrying your gear, you're soaking wet and freezing and you have to eat the same food 3 times a day, you're going to find it hard to motivate yourself if you can't do it from the comfort of home.

Practice discipline and schedule your time, including fitness time.  Fitness will be your responsibility if you join the CF.

The best advice I ever got was about getting out of bed in the morning when I was in high school (an act of sheer will for a 16 year old who cared more about socializing than studying).  He said the hardest part of getting up is physically moving out of the comfort of bed, so make it easy: throw the blankets on the floor.  In other words, just get the hell up and stop thinking about it.  Put on some running shoes and get outside.  Might as well run once you're there, right?

You don't want to arrive and be behind the 8 ball already; get there in good shape, don't hold your course-mates up by being out of shape. 

He was posting three weeks ago about the "ramifications of failing PT," and he's still looking to scrape by with the slightest effort possible.

Why waste any more time or bandwidth?

Brihard said:
The minimum physical standards are a joke, and are deplored by pretty much anyone in uniform I speak to about them. As an NCO I don't take them seriously, and I would be skeptical and scornful of anyone barely scraping by who thinks they are ready.

BMQ is not there to get you in shape. You should be ready physically when you apply. The military is HARD WORK. It's supposed to be. You will be in the profession of killing people and breaking their stuff, when they're trying to do the same to you. Regardless of what trade you apply for that same risk is potentially present, and so that is at least something that influences our training system in the early stages.

Nothing stops you from applying before you are prepared if you're able to scrape the bare minimums, but you will suffer. BMQ is designed for people whoa re in good enough shape to do it, and then there are subsequent courses that could well be considerably harder, particularly if you go army.

How far away you live is irrelevant. There are 168 hours in the week. If you can't fit in getting yourself in decent shape, you have no business trying to join up. We need people who are motivated, not just trying to get by. It's not a matter of being able to handle the stress, but rather of your body being physiologically ready for the demands that will be placed on it.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training. And you will be a burden to others in doing so. Get yourself in shape, if you really want this, and then give it a go. If not, please save the time it would take to process you through for someone who takes it seriously.

Yes, this is harsh, but it's completely honest.

Brihard summed it up well. BMQ is far to short a period to make any massive gains in fitness - you should go into your training able to comfortably meet the requirements. I've seen many people convinced they would be able to meet the standards once they got there (or felt that being able to do the minimum would be enough), only to be booted out on week 8 for failing to meet those objectives. Actual Physical fitness takes time to build up, and effort to maintain - you'd be wasting a lot of time and effort (not to mention tax payer dollars) in administrative effort just to "hope for the best". Don't be that guy.

What do you guys think of P90X for a program?

I picked up the disks last year, and got part way through them, but never actually finished. It kind of disappoints me, because if I would have stuck with it, the three months would be over by now, and I would probably be in a lot better shape.

Jschamber said:

I picked up the disks last year, and got part way through them, but never actually finished. It kind of disappoints me, because if I would have stuck with it, the three months would be over by now, and I would probably be in a lot better shape.
It's daily physical fitness, so better than nothing.  I haven't done it, but I imagine you'd want to supplement it with running as well.  A lot of your PT will be running.

I have a gym membership, but I pretty much only use it for swimming laps (occasionally squash and the odd fitness class, mainly yoga). 

I've lost 25lbs since July, went from running dismally to 5k in under 30mins, have vastly improved upon my push-up/sit-up count and am still working on pull-ups, but better than I was....still a work in progress. Anyway, I did this with no weird diet strategy, no trainer, no customized workout regimen, etc. I have some free weights that I use for upper body strengthening, but I've mainly done it all through my own body-resistance/weight exercises and just getting out and running regardless of the weather. (Squats, planks, push-ups, sit-ups/crunches, lunges, jumping jacks, skipping, proper warmup/cool down exercises.) This is what has worked for me, but you don't need anything fancy to get in shape--you just make a decision to do it.  I still have more work to do, but have come a long way. No one else can motivate you, but you.

Jschamber said:

Speaking from personal experience, I think it's a horrible idea.  I passed the fitness test with a little to spare(which I thought  was great at the time), and it wasn't even close to enough. I pounded myself to pieces on BMQ and got sent home with one week left for about 4 different itises.  End result, I wasted a crapload of people's time, including my own, and ended up needing physiotherapy.  I'm also a full year behind with my trades training.  All of this could have been avoided if I'd gone at my fitness level as hard as I'm going at it now, and it was a lousy way to learn that lesson.

If you're not fit when you go, it's not something you're going to be able to do when you get there. You'll be in class, you'll be working, you'll be way more tired than you were if you were fit, and if you can't motivate yourself right now to go jog or haul a heavy backpack, will you be able to do it if you're completely exhausted, have cruddy personal morale and nil free time?

Just why aren't you motivated, anyway? What's keeping you down?

Jschamber said:

I was thinking, if I do a bit of exercise, as I still have a while before I even get in, but go in with doing what I can, then working my ass off while I am there. I know this will put extra stress on me, and, I might be underestimating basic training, but I think I can handle they bit of extra stress.

Should you give yourself a boner and run full speed into a brick wall?

Same answer.

NO, you shouldn't join.

Why the hell do people even ask this crap? It's not even funny as a troll attempt

ObedientiaZelum said:

Same answer.

NO, you shouldn't join.

Why the hell do people even ask this crap? It's not even funny as a troll attempt

Well, that very nearly resulted in me spitting up beverage all over my keyboard. Thanks for that.

Buy GOOD QUALITY Sneakers
Start a run/walking program
At the end do as many sit ups and pushups(start on your knees if need be).

Repeat.

No gym needed/required.

What would be WAY worse about showing up to BMQ without being physically fit is Being sent home on Day 3-5 after failing the Minimum requirements to stay on course period.  We had 1 guy and 3 woman fail on Day 3 of my course and I felt REALLY bad for the guy since his Dad was a WO with 20 years in. 

If you need more motivation find someone to workout with, make plans to workout.

That and watch the diet/sitting around play video games etc.

SentryMAn said:
We had 1 guy and 3 woman fail on Day 3 of my course and I felt REALLY bad for the guy since his Dad was a WO with 20 years in.

Why feel more sorry for the guy because his father is in the CF?  I'd be thinking more along the lines of "Well, he should have known better...."

Just my  :2c:

And therefore his dad will probably not be to impressed. But no, I wouldnt feel sorry for him.

ObedientiaZelum said:

Same answer.

NO, you shouldn't join.

Well, that escalated quickly...

Start the application process, sure, but only if you are going to work on your fitness. Simply do push ups, sit ups and distance running at home.

Don't be one of those people who go to basic and live on warrior platoon for months... You will silently be judged... Theres no reason a person cant push off 10 pushups (proper) and 30 sit ups.

I went from doing ZERO push ups to 10 within a month prior to basic.

** I don't mean to offend anyone who had to take part in warrior, I'm just suggesting this guy avoid it, like everyone does.

bgray said:
Start the application process, sure, but only if you are going to work on your fitness. Simply do push ups, sit ups and distance running at home.

Don't be one of those people who go to basic and live on warrior platoon for months... You will silently be judged... Theres no reason a person cant push off 10 pushups (proper) and 30 sit ups.

I went from doing ZERO push ups to 10 within a month prior to basic.

Isn't the min 19 pushups?

** I don't mean to offend anyone who had to take part in warrior, I'm just suggesting this guy avoid it, like everyone does.

Artyman,  did you intend to put your question/reply within bgray's post?

Also,  19 is not the minimum for females.

Back