• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Normal or abnormal situation?

The CFRC told me they had a decision on my file, but they have to wait for the recruiter to get back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mld

Inactive
Reaction score
Please let me know what you think! I am a university grad with a 4.0 GPA, plenty of work and volunteer experience and aced the CFAT, interview and medical, I applied to be a medic...

Relax.

Breathe deeply and slowly.

Have a beer.

Be patient.

And don't make any more silly polls.

Loachman said:
And don't make any more silly polls.

+1  :nod:

Sounds like you're confident your application is very strong, so trust your instinct on that. Excitement is understandable but there's not a whole lot of purpose for this question/poll because this news could mean anything, and you'll find out soon enough anyway. It sounds like your application might be ready for its next step in the process, whatever it might be. So I'd stay optimistic and assume it's good news. But never have any expectations during the recruiting process because any day things can change. Just simply go through it the best way you can. Stay confident, calm, and I'd say a bit more modest. ;) Best of luck man!

I made the poll simply for fun, not to base my hopes on its outcome. I know whatever tomorrow brings, life will go on. I am not freaking out, or anything. Simply did this for the entertainment value, sorry if it annoyed or offended you in anyway. Thanks for the wishes of luck though, even though I am a woman, the intent is the same  :)

mld said:
I made the poll simply for fun, not to base my hopes on its outcome. I know whatever tomorrow brings, life will go on. I am not freaking out, or anything. Simply did this for the entertainment value, sorry if it annoyed or offended you in anyway. Thanks for the wishes of luck though, even though I am a woman, the intent is the same  :)

Haha oops, sorry woman! It's not at all offensive in any way, no worries. Ok ok I'll vote!

Roger.

We see a lot of worriers and hyper people asking such questions.

Life was so much easier in the days before people had an internet to stoke them almost to seizure levels.

I'm relaxed and calm now. I hope that you are too.

And good luck.

Loachman said:
Life was so much easier in the days before people had an internet to stoke them almost to seizure levels.

Ha ha! Just had a mental etch-a-sketch of me convulsing on the floor clutching my poor phone waiting for the darned phone call!!! No worries, totally relaxed. I guess I am glad for the two year old rampaging toddler that requires all my attention :) Thanks for the luck, I am sure it will all be fine!

Go to bed at a normal time, wake up first thing, have your coffee, tea or whatever warm beverage you enjoy. Shower, get dressed and then call the Recruiting Center. You'll feel good when your calling regardless of what the recruiter has to say.

mld said:
I made the poll simply for fun, not to base my hopes on its outcome.

because hope is the first step on the path to disappointment ;)

So I got my news. It is not good, but it is not bad either.

The recruiting officer called this morning to profusely apologize to me. He made a mistake when he interviewed me for the medic position (I had originally been applying for ROTP). He told me there were 8 positions available, and due to my scores and education I am extremely competitive, and will almost definitely be offered a position. He apologized because he failed to realize that although there were 8 positions available nationally, my province (Quebec) had already reached its quota for med techs. So as of today there are 7 positions still available nationally. He told me that if those positions are not offered to anyone in the provinces  that still have spots they will be opened up to the national pool of applicants (including me) on Dec 17. If I am not selected I can still go ahead with my ROTP application if I wish.

I am not sure if this is a normal situation, or what to think about all of this. If someone who has experience in recruiting could comment on this situation, it would help me out a lot. My biggest question is: is it reasonable to believe that there will be positions available on Dec 17? Do positions move so fast that 7 can disappear in 9 working days? Opinions welcome! 

mld said:
So I got my news. It is not good, but it is not bad either.

The recruiting officer called this morning to profusely apologize to me. He made a mistake when he interviewed me for the medic position (I had originally been applying for ROTP). He told me there were 8 positions available, and due to my scores and education I am extremely competitive, and will almost definitely be offered a position. He apologized because he failed to realize that although there were 8 positions available nationally, my province (Quebec) had already reached its quota for med techs. So as of today there are 7 positions still available nationally. He told me that if those positions are not offered to anyone in the provinces  that still have spots they will be opened up to the national pool of applicants (including me) on Dec 17. If I am not selected I can still go ahead with my ROTP application if I wish.

I am not sure if this is a normal situation, or what to think about all of this. If someone who has experience in recruiting could comment on this situation, it would help me out a lot. My biggest question is: is it reasonable to believe that there will be positions available on Dec 17? Do positions move so fast that 7 can disappear in 9 working days? Opinions welcome!

Perfectly normal. For many trades, recruiting targets are divided out nationally for the first three quarters of the fiscal year. Each recruiting centre will try to hit its target with qualified applicants who have been merit listed. And yes, this means that if there are 9 high meriting applicants in Calgary, but Calgary only has 8 positions, then #9 could well end up stuck, and someone recruiting out of another part of the country, despite being lower on the national merit list, will get first kick at filling that recruiting centre's targets. In the last quarter, any residual positions that remain unfilled get pooled nationally, and they go top down on the merit list.

As for whether positions will remain, I can't say. There may be a recruiting centre somewhere with 5 positions still to fill, and they've been working on other stuff and will do all of their offers for medic a week before the deadline. Or those positions may remain vacant. All you can do is wait for word.

Brihard said:
Perfectly normal. For many trades, recruiting targets are divided out nationally for the first three quarters of the fiscal year. Each recruiting centre will try to hit its target with qualified applicants who have been merit listed. And yes, this means that if there are 9 high meriting applicants in Calgary, but Calgary only has 8 positions, then #9 could well end up stuck, and someone recruiting out of another part of the country, despite being lower on the national merit list, will get first kick at filling that recruiting centre's targets. In the last quarter, any residual positions that remain unfilled get pooled nationally, and they go top down on the merit list.

As for whether positions will remain, I can't say. There may be a recruiting centre somewhere with 5 positions still to fill, and they've been working on other stuff and will do all of their offers for medic a week before the deadline. Or those positions may remain vacant. All you can do is wait for word.

Ahhh, ok! I was wondering how they came up with Dec 17! That answers my question completely, thanks for the insight. The situation sucks, but I am really fortunate that I still have hope, where so many others don't at the moment.

If you are already a university graduate, are you not ineligible for ROTP? Should you not be applying as a DEO?

I have a BSc, BEd and an MEd. I applied for ROTP Nursing Officer. I really want to do something in the medical field, as my goal is to be a doctor. I have everything a medical school is looking for, except medically related experience. I never even knew that there was a med tech trade until my husband pointed it out. The recruiter didn't tell me about it because he assumed with my education I would want to go officer. I fell in love because it would allow me the opportunity to learn and work in a medical field while serving Canada. This would also give me the experience I need to apply to medical school and I think give me a "foot in the door" when I apply to MMTP or MOTP 5 or 6 years down the road. Doing a nursing degree through ROTP seemed like a really costly stepping stone (time and money) when in the end my goal is to be a Medical Officer. I hope that makes sense. And please understand, I am not using the military for the just experience on my resume. My husband is in for life, and I hope that I am afforded that opportunity. I would like to make my career out of being in the forces. I was told I could apply DEO for many trades, like AERE officer, Con. Eng. Officer, Trg. Dev. Officer or Aerospace control. But my heart is in the medicine, and I don't think the forces would want someone in a position if they weren't fully committed to it.

I'm not questioning your motivation at all - stressing over (stated thusly in jest) "abnormal situations" would indicate an acceptable level of motivation - but simply questioning your eligibility for ROTP. I was of the understanding that that programme was solely for those without a degree already. It's idle curiosity, as I do not know and it's not really within my area of interest.

Sorry, I guess I was a little defensive. ROTP is open to anyone applying for a trade in which they are not already qualified. So, for instance, I cannot apply through ROTP as a pilot or an Aerospace Control Officer because I am already qualified. I also cannot apply as AERE or Con. Eng. Officer because although I don't have their preferred degree (engineering) I do have a degree listed in their qualifications (BSc in chemistry and physics). Because I applied as a Nursing Officer, my application was accepted. I would only have to do two years at University due to transfer credits from my science degree. I friend of mine went through ROTP last year. She already had a BA (English major), but she is going Log O and is doing a Linguistics degree now.

If I may interject respectfully, suppose you apply ROTP nursing, wouldn't it be a waste of spot if there was another applicant who truly wanted to become a nursing officer for the sake of becoming a nursing officer?  And wouldn't it be a waste of military training money?

curious george said:
If I may interject respectfully, suppose you apply ROTP nursing, wouldn't it be a waste of spot if there was another applicant who truly wanted to become a nursing officer for the sake of becoming a nursing officer?  And wouldn't it be a waste of military training money?

My favorite part of your post is where it's obvious you didn't read the rest of the posts above yours. :facepalm:

Back