• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No pilot for me?

FSGT Lampkin

Inactive
Reaction score
So i got accepted for ROTP at RMC campus....however, not for either of my 1st or 2nd choices (pilot and air nav...i guess they are kinad one in the the same selection wise).....i did get CELE(air) but am still trying to figure out if there is any way of getting pilot at some point.....

1) a brother of a friend of mine got in for ATC a couple years ago but then got pilot because many ppl failed CFACS....is this common?
2) has this happened to anyone in the past and has is it advisable to do the 4 years rmc...4 years CELE and then reapply?
3)or.....is it better to go civy U and try as DEO...

i pasted all my eyes/medical etc and from what i understand we are short on pilots :p so its kinda puzzling....maybe they dont want a back log

anyways, some info would be great, thanks.

Lampkin, suck it up and consider yourself lucky to have been selected to come here. Pilot is not the be all and end all. There are many other trades that are worth while. If you want to come to RMC, then come here. If you want, you can apply for a VOR. I didn't get my first choice, in fact I know many people who got offered MOCs that they didn't even select in their list of choices. Either deal with it and soldier on or give your spot to someone else. The me first attitude where you only want one specific trade will get you nowhere. Sure we all have dreams, but if you don't attain your dream, don't give up. RMC is what you make of it, regardless of your trade. CELE is a darn good trade, but if you don't want it, don't take it. Besides, theres no guarantee you would get pilot even if you did go DEO. Lifes a *****, suck it up and soldier on.

no man i do consider myself really lucky to get selected...apparently theres a huge waiting list below my name. I will totally accept cele as its something im really interested in. BUT, i was mislead into believing that switching in and out of carreer is fairly simple and that i could somehow reapply for aircrew blah blah blah...apparently not so

Did you go to ACS and did you pass?

Big Foot, I'm going to disagree with the "suck it up and soldier on" theory. Going to RMC is not worth 9 years of your life if you end up doing a job you don't want to do. I wouldn't call his attitude a "me first" attitude, you've got to look out for #1 because no one else is going to, if he wants pilot, I say go for it. When I applied, I only put pilot down, nothing else. I didn't want to commit myself to 9 years in a trade that I didn't want to do. Sure I may have liked a new trade, but when I set out to join the CF I didn't want anything but pilot and there's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

thanks alot for your input Inch..... the initial recruiter that i met said to me "if you want pilot, dont put anything else....cause alot of the time even if you are going to get pilot, they'll give you say infantry if you had that as one of your choices, cause they need them"....then my recruiting officer advised otherwise....eitherway, im not sure that CELE would really be motivation for me to stick out the tougher life and training at RMC if its not something i had my heart set on....

FSGT Lampkin,

I responded to your intial post in the recruiting forum, so I won't repeat myself.   I must echo Inch's comments - ensure that the trade you accept is one that you are truly interested in.   Do not rely on getting an MOC change once in - this process is not as common as some might like and it usually requires a fair amount of effort to make it happen.

If you want to attend Charm school and be a CELE(air) - then go for it.   If you have any hesitation and are wary - think about your decision a little longer.

I have to agree.  If CELE is not what you want, then be warned you could spend the rest of your oblig servic in a job that you are unhappy with.  You don't want to be there, and your subordinates will not want you there either because they know you don't want to be there  etc.  CELE Officer is a leadership position where you will definately have impressionable troops below you, you will not be doing anyone a favour if you're not happy with your choice.  Think about your decision carefully.
Shadow

Take Big Foots advice for what it is.....a 1st year who probably didn't get his first choice...now see how bitter he is?  Do not commit to something that don't want to do, as it will only make matters worse.  If CELE does interest you, then go for it, and if pilot still interests you after your CELE training, then go ahead and apply later.

Isn't RMC mostly made up of disgruntled guys who didn't make Top Gun?

but they told me I could get on the Bison - airbus conversion course right after graduation.....

Britney Spears said:
but they told me I could get on the Bison - airbus conversion course right after graduation.....

Well, at least there is a second option for working for Air Canada driving a fuel truck or a baggage cart.

Well if you are going that route why waste time with school just jump right into the MSE op trade to drive that fuel truck or if you are lucky the Traffic Tech trade. You can tell lies, misplace baggage and get all the good seats on the Airplane after you load it. If your smart enough they may even make you load master. But then again maybe not because if you were that smart you would have went to university so really its a catch 22.

Be advised: CELE education is pure engineering, math and science intensive. Make sure you can handle what you're getting into.

I'll have to back up Inch and Zoomie here...there is nothing wrong with wanting to do something so much that you can't see yourself doing anything else...that's exactly where I was 20 years ago.  Did wanting to be a pilot and nothing else make me any less of a CF member than anyone else?  Can't see why that would be...the Capt at the recruiting center told me I could put pilot as my first choice and leave #2 and #3 blank if I really wanted to, but he warned me that it might appear to job focused and not considerate of all the other responsibilities of being an officer, leader, etc...  I said "Roger, understood...I'm well aware of all the responsibilities associated with that, but that's a moot point unless the CF open the pilot MOC (mil occupational code) to NCMs as well...being an officer as a pilot is all that I want to do, thanks."  I told him I didn't want to be an airnav, nor AERE, nor CELE(air), etc...

FSGT L - I'm not particularly sure that "suck it up" is the best answer...you are at a point where you can make a decision..and this is a decision that you might be living with for a very long time.  While you may see it as an honour to have been selected (and this may be partially true), don't forget that the CF is dying for good people and you should not let this pressure you into selecting something that you are not entirely sure you want to do.

If CELE(Air) sounds ok to you and you would like to know more about it to heat up that "warm and fuzzy" about the whole deal, send me a PM and I will put you in touch with a CELE(Air) buddy of mine who could give you some straight shooting stuff on that particular MOC. 

Per your original question, though, yes...you can apply for an OT (occupational transfer) from one MOC to another depending on availability of open positions and the strength of the pilot MOC.  I have several friends who transferred from Nav to Pilot, and Zoomie is working on his second career in the air force.  I have never figured out the whole ROTP/MOC offer deal as it does not always seem to directly relate to current or projected MOC PMLs (preferred manning levels).  I'll ask a friend of of mine who was one of the pilot career managers what the story is on the ROTP-MOC offers.

Good luck, cheers

Duey

Dewey

Thanks alot for your input and to everyone else....I sat down for a few days to clear my head and think about it and figured that for me, RMC was way to big just to throw off because of a bump in the road. Ive been talking to friends/family/people i dont know, who are military types and from what ive gathered, switching to pilot in a few years shouldn't be too big a problem as its an "open MOC" with no real cap on quotas except for region quoatas...as long as the CELE(air) co-ordinators agree that they aren't in dire need of me...and if they are, then ill apply again the next year lol....

i was talking to my uncle in Halifax and he was pretty sure that i got caught in what he called a "quota loop" where despite they are only at say 50-60% (excuse my uneducated guess) of aircrew needed...they can only bring in so many per region...im from south eastern ontario so im up against the millions from toronto and the GTA etc.....if i lived in Nunivat, i probably would have been on ACS in 2 seconds (i passed all my eye tests etc).

So that being sauid....he explained that if i droped RMC and applied again next year, then the same thing would probably happen wiht the quota loop cause theres so many ppl in this area....RMc is my best option because there they aren't looking so much at your marks but also how u do on BOTC, leadership potential and current occupational training...

Peter: "Okay, I'm coming. Form of--Jayna's tampon [goes in purse]. And now we play the waiting game."

i was talking to my uncle in Halifax and he was pretty sure that i got caught in what he called a "quota loop" where despite they are only at say 50-60% (excuse my uneducated guess) of aircrew needed...they can only bring in so many per region...im from south eastern ontario so im up against the millions from toronto and the GTA etc.....if i lived in Nunivat, i probably would have been on ACS in 2 seconds (i passed all my eye tests etc).

Wow awesome misinformation.   Perhaps because your MP and AP wasn't high enough to get selected for your first or second choice is the reason that you ended up being selected for CELE (A).   But if you want to believe that there is some sort of regional quota conspiracy then you go ahead.

When i did my aptitude test, they told me right there that i had qualitfied for all my choices and handed me the CFACS blue book....never got a call for going to Trenton so the spots were filled.... MP?

FSGT Lampkin said:
When i did my aptitude test, they told me right there that i had qualitfied for all my choices and handed me the CFACS blue book....never got a call for going to Trenton so the spots were filled.... MP?

MP = military potential
AP = academic potential

All pilot applicants are given the booklet in anticipation of attending CFASC and you should return it.

Do they make up a roster list of the applicants based on MP and AP before actual RMC selection? If so, ive been talking to ppl who got ACS with like 78%-80% avgs but then got waitlisted for RMC.....Ive done 6 years cadets and have tons and tons of leadership roles and teams/clubs etc.....so im assuming that would contribute to my MP (correct me if im wrong here) and my marks are all mid/high 80s.... So if my AP and MP were too low for pilot, then the only reason i can see others getting in ahead with lower marks etc, is the regional quoata thing....still confused lol..... 

or maybe it was that huge crack pipe i smoked before my medical j/k

Any ideas Kin?

Back