• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No more rifles on drill/grad parade?

Raymondacbot

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently at CFLRS and apparently they are scrapping rifle drill, and removing rifles on parade? This totally blows, was looking forward to it :(

Currently at CFLRS and apparently they are scrapping rifle drill, and removing rifles on parade? This totally blows, was looking forward to it :(

What???

Tv Land What GIF by YoungerTV

Ahh yes. I see what you mean. Some courses do and some do not.

Could be any number of factors.

Either way, these candidates will learn eventually. Probably when they get to their DP1 and are yelled at for not knowing how to perform rifle drill.

As for yourself, Sword Drill is more art than drill, anyway 😉

Ahh yes. I see what you mean. Some courses do and some do not.

Could be any number of factors.

Either way, these candidates will learn eventually. Probably when they get to their DP1 and are yelled at for not knowing how to perform rifle drill.

As for yourself, Sword Drill is more art than drill, anyway 😉
Sword drill is gone too 🥲 Last I heard BMOQ has a chance of being shortened to 10 weeks from 12.

No I went to the CFLRS facebook page and saw the parade video.
Édit. Sorry I typed in CFLRS Grad parade in my search bar on FB. That came up. Dated May 19th but I guess that parade could have been from whenever

LOL....

Man sometime I wish I was on veterans FB pages when things like this get out. It fills me with so much joy to see old people yell at clouds on things like this
I dunno. I think there is something to be said about Drill and Ceremonial.

When you get down to it, if it weren't for the flashy uniform and odd square bashing parade... this would just be a crappy paying public service job with terrible hours.

Cost and time-saving measure aside, I can see why the poster (who is a young OCdt, mind you, not a dinosaur yelling at clouds) is a little bummed out.

I dunno. I think there is something to be said about Drill and Ceremonial.

When you get down to it, if it weren't for the flashy uniform and odd square bashing parade... this would just be a crappy paying public service job with terrible hours.

Cost and time-saving measure aside, I can see why the poster (who is a young OCdt, mind you, not a dinosaur yelling at clouds) is a little bummed out.
Oh don't get me wrong, a well done parade is neat to watch and understanding the work put in behind the scenes by folks make it that much more meaningful.

However, if people need that sort of training having it come later and in a directed way rather than putting people through forms in BMQ/BMOQ where many of them will likely never use it again is probably a better approach. Focus on things that matter to get folks OFP and then worry about fluff.

Oh don't get me wrong, a well done parade is neat to watch and understanding the work put in behind the scenes by folks make it that much more meaningful.

However, if people need that sort of training having it come later and in a directed way rather than putting people through forms in BMQ/BMOQ where many of them will likely never use it again is probably a better approach. Focus on things that matter to get folks OFP and then worry about fluff.
Creating identity, pride, and esprit de corps is important. Things like drill, traditions, and even limited hazing (not beating the crap out of someone or any of that nonsense, but making them earn a place) has value.

The farther we get from creating that identity and more we focus on the CAF just being another job the worse our attrition shall be. Therefore the effort to simply get people to OFP with no ‘fluff’ shall be wasted as they will jump ship as there is nothing tying them to the organization.

They banned the Navy League from using wooden rifles for the Colour guard, so some Corps use paddles. The kids are totally bummed about it. This is as much about the anti-gun types as it is about shortening training time. I suspect they be better served by shortening the amount of time it takes to be enrolled. Rifle drill is a useful step in learning awareness of weapons handling. Gets people used to the concept of holding and carrying a rifle and where it's pointed, long before you introduce live ammunition into the equation. I can see reducing the amount of drill done these days, but your still a military and the expectation of the people that fund you is that you can look and act the part. Parades, drill and deportment are the majority of what the public sees and that impression will impact on your support when it comes to budget time. Back in the 1980's I found that the Regular Force in garrison was very poor at time management and more time was wasted waiting for direction than ever on drill. I don't know if that time management issue has been fixed or not. Judging by the comments on the amount of bureaucratic running around to appease paper gods, I suspect streamlining your administration processes and reducing your reporting requirements would be a better way to save time, then to get rid of drill completely and would improve morale a great deal more.

Funny Starbucks certainly has expectations of their staff https://content-prod-live.cert.starbucks.com/binary/v2/asset/137-79344.pdf

Back