• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No jobs in the army, need advice.

mikewalker28

Inactive
Reaction score
                                      I'm a 28 year old male and have been thinking about joining the military since I was well old enough to join, I've finally decided that this would be a good career choice for my self and family, and we'll "I WANT YOU" more than "YOU WANT ME" at the moment, hah. 

I've been searching since 5:00 AM for active jobs in the :cdn: military, and it does not look like they are accepting applications to any Regular - Reserve positions that I'm interested in, or qualify for with my poor education, though I am willing to retrain and finish my high school. The main position I was interested in was INF as an NCO. 

now I understand I have a few options here, 1 being the Canadian Rangers 
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/cr-rc/index-eng.asp 
But finding information about this 'militia - reserve unit' is almost impossible I've read everything about ranger history from WW2 - 2005 today and I'm not sure if they are still active, how to apply, PAY, training, requirements, etc. I was hoping some one with some better information could help me, apparently who ever takes care of the SEO work for this 'group' only back linked about 20 or so sites, so what ever current information is - was floating around the web seems to have been lost with the un-crawled low PR sites that it was posted on. :mad:

Another option that I found with poor pay, but it would probably look good on an application once the CF starts recruiting again is QOR http://www.qor.com/ though again, poor site design not sure if it's an old militia group for vets that parade, or how to apply. 

My only option other than the above is joining fulltime with the united kingdom  :threat:, But I LOVE Canada  :cdn: and we'll my family and ocean is here. 

My location is Vancouver Island BC, any information on the 'rangers' recruitment office, would be appreciated, QOR also. 

Thank you for your time.
Michael S Walker

What Rangers have you been reading up on for the WWII to 2005?

The Queen's Own Rifles are located in Toronto,  so unless you move into the GTA you won't be joining that Reserve Unit.  There is the Canadian Scottish on Vancouver Island,  try looking them up.

Reg Force Infantry is hiring,  but in limited numbers and is very competitive as there are a lot of applicants but limited openings.

Eye In The Sky said:
QOR is in Ontario.  Sorry, not what you wanted to hear likely.

I own a vehicle. Appreciate the information though, from what I understand QOR is not just in Ontario, they are in victoria, halifax, edmonton, vancouver, calgary, toronto, etc.

mikewalker28 said:

now I understand I have a few options here, 1 being the Canadian Rangers 
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/cr-rc/index-eng.asp 

You won't be joining those guys if you are on Vancouver Island either.

mikewalker28 said:
I own a vehicle. Appreciate the information though, from what I understand QOR is not just in Ontario, they are in victoria, halifax, edmonton, vancouver, calgary, toronto, etc.

You understand incorrectly.

mikewalker28 said:

You are wrong about that.  Queen's Own Rifles is located in Toronto and Scarborough, Ontario, not in different locations across Canada.

Canadian Scottish is located on Vancouver Island,  Seaforth Highlanders is in Vancouver,  Loyal Edmonton Regiment is in Edmonton, etc. 

-Skeletor- said:
What Rangers have you been reading up on for the WWII to 2005?

The Queen's Own Rifles are located in Toronto,  so unless you move into the GTA you won't be joining that Reserve Unit.  There is the Canadian Scottish on Vancouver Island,  try looking them up.

Reg Force Infantry is hiring,  but in limited numbers and is very competitive as there are a lot of applicants but limited openings.

Canadian Scottish on Vancouver Island Is this a militia stand bye group with proper pay, and the possibility of full time integration to the regular forces once jobs open, that puts you through BMQ etc, or the reserve base in nanaimo, I'm pretty sure that's artillery ? As far as the forces.gc.ca site says, there are 0 jobs at the moment for reserves unless I want to be a meteorologist / combat engineer. <--- and only one of those is in demand and not the one I would be interested in, that being said I'm going to assume that I would be very low priority for a combat engineer, it actually seems like a damn cool trade though.

Thank you for your reply.

You really need to do some extensive reading in the recruiting threads.....first about the difference between reserve and regular forces, and second about how the recruiting works.

This is not like a job bank where they advertise individual openings ......

what is a militia stand bye group?

The Militia is another name for the Army Reserve,  they are the same thing.  The Canadian Scottish is a part time unit much like the Artillery Regiment and the other Reserve units on the island.  Yes you can work with the Regular Force on some taskings and deployment,  how ever don't be expecting full time employment in the Reserves. 

Do a bit more research,  and contact the units you are interested in.  They will have more accurate info regarding if they have positions open or not, as the units have stood down for the summer you may have to wait awhile, but they may have some full time staff during the day still.

Rather than not even giving it a shot in the Regular Force (I too only had Gr 10 once and got in, granted more than a few years ago).  You will never know how good your chances are until you apply.  You seem to be self-assessing yourself, which is fine, but you'll never know what the CFRC folks think until you talk to them, write the CFAT (aptitude test), etc.  Don't sell yourself short right out of the gate.  IF you are unsuccessful, well that will tell you 'where you are' and 'what you need to work on'.  If you don't try, that is the one 100% guaruntee you'll never make it into the CF, Regular or Reserve component.

Just a thought. 

There are no reserve force combat engineer units on Vancouver Island.

:
what is a militia stand bye group?
The Militia is another name for the Army Reserve, 
:

I read a 200 page document this morning, SSWG - stating militia units are 80% cheaper than RESERVE - REGULAR units, and are considered stand bye units in the canadian military. Atleast that's what it kept refering to them as,
I just assumed if FULL time was not possible and part-time was not, militia might be an option untill something opens up.

Thanks again for the help.

The Role of the Militia
in Today’s Canadian Forces
Jack English | September 2011
Strategic Studies

mikewalker28 said:
stating militia units are 80% cheaper than RESERVE - REGULAR units, and are considered stand bye units in the canadian military. Atleast that's what it kept refering to them as,

Militia = reserve force

CDN Aviator said:
There are no reserve force combat engineer units on Vancouver Island.

I dont want to be a combat engineer, it would be DAMN COOL though they look like they got a pretty bad ass job. I'm interested in INF.

mikewalker28 said:
I'm interested in INF.

Then you will need to talk to these guys, as they are the only reserve infantry unit on Vancouver Island

http://www.canadianscottishregiment.ca/index.php?area_id=1005

mikewalker28 said:
I read a 200 page document this morning, SSWG - stating militia units are 80% cheaper than RESERVE - REGULAR units, and are considered stand bye units in the canadian military. Atleast that's what it kept refering to them as,
I just assumed if FULL time was not possible and part-time was not, militia might be an option untill something opens up.

Thanks again for the help.

The Role of the Militia
in Today’s Canadian Forces
Jack English | September 2011
Strategic Studies

This might be more of an entry-level place to start getting some info on the Canadian Army...

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/home-accueil-eng.asp

All of the websites you are looking at, look for the "last updated on" date, usually bottom left or right corner.  The BEST info on openings and numbers are from real, live recruiters, Regular or Reserve Force.

If you are interested, TALK TO A RECRUITER. 

mikewalker28 said:
Thank you for the correction, so no reserve no full time

:crybaby:
Hello UK  :salute:

As was already mentioned to you, there is a reserve force infantry unit on Vancouver Island.

Back