• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new to the trade

Want a shame... I can think of so many uses for a large empty room with a laminated hardwood floor.

Just a Sig Op said:
Want a shame... I can think of so many uses for a large empty room with a laminated hardwood floor.

I can only imagine....it was good for housing 12 army guys with air mattresses and sleeping bags....lol, surprised the crap out of my roomate when he came home that day, too ;D

What ever happened to the chair he found in the garbage?

I moved out, and left the chair in the middle of the living room when I left...a present for the next tenants

career_radio-checker said:
-officers wanting you to make their breakfast so that it is ready for them when they wake up;

.... and if you are the unfortunate private on the same sleep shift as the OC... expect to stay up on stove watch mmmmmmmm love that Naptha

:p

signal_man2981 said:
Hi Everyone

I just finished my recruitment process and now waiting to join up with my unit as a Sig op. I've coming to this site for a while, not wanting to post until i was in or close to being in. but what i wanted to ask all the Sig ops out there is for any advice for that'll help me have a good career?

When the Siggy on the roof says don't transmit, please.... don't transmit.  :blotto: I suppose this isn't as big a deal anymore without the HF radios. I remember the rainy night I learned to fly.... those antennas could SHOCK! :evil:

It's still a big deal, just more a big deal with HF (There's still trucks with HF radios, and VHF is quite capable of giving you a good zap)...if you've got time, before you climb up on the roof, personally go into the back of the pod and switch the radio to no transmit. Also, threaten anyone who looks at a PTT switch with a swift and painful death involving pioneer tools and a ration spoon (Again, time permitting).

Yeah, with HF, instead of being a "ooooh, I can fly," it's more of a "mmm...I smell barbecue!"  ;D

Cpl Bloggins said:
Yeah, with HF, instead of being a "ooooh, I can fly," it's more of a "mmm...I smell barbecue!"   ;D

They'll both mess you up... HF just generally broadcasts at a higher power level....

VHF was not nearly as dangerous as HF except at very high power levels.  It is still not a good idea to get in the habit of touching an antenna while it is transmitting when you have the possibility to touch something with more power.

Just a Sig Op said:
They'll both mess you up... HF just generally broadcasts at a higher power level....

150 Watts out of my truck......Hands off at all times!

Just 150 watts? Pft... 400 watts out of my LCT... ;)

Doesn't an MCT pump out 1000? (Regardless, no licking HF Antennas! May cause cavities)

lol...you wanker! that's my line...I have the pictures to prove it!

And always remember, privates are replaceable, batteries are not.

Just a Sig Op said:

Privates have a NATO stock number....it's only 1 digit away from urinal cookies...lol

Just a Sig Op said:

And remember to never underestimate the power of the 522!

Yes an MCT does have the capability or going to 1000 watts but is ussually n/s more times than operational.  If you touch an antenna txing 1000 watts, you may have a few extra cavities.  Most VHF systems tx at below 50 watts.  HF will transmit at 150 or better ussually.  Manpack versions are ussually considerably less though.

Back