• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New to the Forums/Just a couple of questions.

Blyth

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.. wasn't 100% sure where to post. I only just found this site a few days ago and I've just got to say, it's been really informative and helpful.
You guys are great!  ;D

My boyfriend recently applied and was told his application is being processed here in Halifax. He wants to do RMS Clerk, second choice being Supply Tech. Not sure when he’ll receive the call to start the rest of the process, but we’re patient.  :)

Even though I've been reading around on here and also reading up on the jobs he wants to do, can anyone tell me what their experiences have been like on these jobs or have any other knowledge to share about them? Just curious and want to learn as much as possible.

Also, when he leaves for basic training, would there possibly be a place provided that I could stay near the area he is in, or would I need to find an apartment to do such a thing?  ??? Just wondering because if the opportunity arises, being able to see him would be great. If not, that means I would need to travel from Halifax if we see each other when able.

Sorry if either of these have been asked before or if my wording is weird. Thanks for your time.  :)

Hey Blyth,

My application is currently going through CFRC Halifax, so if you'd like to check out my posts in the Application Process Samples thread, it might give your boyfriend an idea of when he'll be contacted and timings further on in the process.

Keep in mind that during BMQ, your boyfriend will only have weekends off after the first four weeks, can have his weekend pass revoked any given weekend, and will spend some time in Farnham where he will not be able to contact you at all.

Unless you are common law or married, you won't be eligible to move on the army's dime no matter what point he is at in the system (Basic, QL3, or posting.) During Basic, as mentioned previously, he will have very little free time, and what he gets can (and will!) be revoked at any time. So really, it's not worth moving at that point anyway. RMS Clerk and Supply Tech both have relatively short trades courses as well, so if things move at a reasonable pace, it wouldn't be long before he is qualified and posted. That would be the point where moving would make sense, and if you were eligible the army would arrange to move you and his effects at that point and not before. Certain trades with longer QL3 courses can have their family moved, but it depends on the course and  chain of command's regs. If you don't qualify, you can move on your own dime, but depending on the base, you likely won't qualify for a PMQ, though that depends entirely on availability and demand - some allow it, some don't, but it's worth investigating if you do want to move. Otherwise you can get an apartment on the economy near the base, if there are any available.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

I'll look for your posts, BYFROMSCHOOL, thanks. He's definitely going to check here and there on how his application is doing as well. Yeah, I've been told that there will be long periods of time where I won't be hearing from him.
Just wanted to know how hard a visit would be where possible as I am in a position where I don't have any major obligations in Halifax. We both realize that he would have next to no free time and I'd want him to put his training first priority anyways, just wanted to know.

TinaK said:
Unless you are common law or married, you won't be eligible to move on the army's dime no matter what point he is at in the system (Basic, QL3, or posting.) During Basic, as mentioned previously, he will have very little free time, and what he gets can (and will!) be revoked at any time. So really, it's not worth moving at that point anyway. RMS Clerk and Supply Tech both have relatively short trades courses as well, so if things move at a reasonable pace, it wouldn't be long before he is qualified and posted. That would be the point where moving would make sense, and if you were eligible the army would arrange to move you and his effects at that point and not before. Certain trades with longer QL3 courses can have their family moved, but it depends on the course and  chain of command's regs. If you don't qualify, you can move on your own dime, but depending on the base, you likely won't qualify for a PMQ, though that depends entirely on availability and demand - some allow it, some don't, but it's worth investigating if you do want to move. Otherwise you can get an apartment on the economy near the base, if there are any available.

Wait, are you saying that my common-law can be moved while I am in BMQ or after BMQ to where I am located? Just curious... Thank you.

-Brandon

Brandonfw said:
Wait, are you saying that my common-law can be moved while I am in BMQ or after BMQ to where I am located? Just curious... Thank you.

-Brandon

No, BMQ and your trades course are something called a '' restricted posting'' - which means you are not entitled to any move allowance whatsoever for your personal belongings or your family. There are exceptions, such as if your QL 3 course is longer than one year, you  can apply to move your family, but will most likely be turned down.

To the original poster, you do not want to move to St Jean while he is in BMQ. I am from Halifax and it is too short a duration, with no English in the community to make the move worth it. He won't have much time on weekends. My advice is to place a flight for the first weekend he is off indoctrination period. That weekend is guaranteed by the commadant of the school for morale reasons. That is the only weekend they have to be given.

Even if his training is long enough to allow you to move on the army's dime I would wait it out until he is actually posted. My cousin recently joined and his wife and kids moved with him to Borden for his training. Once the training was finished he was posted  to Gadgetown and was told that since the army had already paid to move his family once that year they would not be paying and so he had to pay out of pocket.

I would stay in Halifax, if I were you.  By the time his grad parade rolls around, you could fly out for that.  They usually give the recruits the night before grad parade out with their families, as well as the night of the grad parade.  The day after the grad parade, he'll be sent to wherever his trade training is, and then on to his new unit afterwards.

As for the restricted posting info you have been given...

Once your BF is posted for his trade qualifications, or QL3, he will be Prohibited Posted.  This means the military does NOT move family or effects.  He would have to submit a memo through his chain of command to get his posting status changed, and if he is going LOG, there really isn't any point.  If you wait it out, and you guys can claim common-law status, he can have the military move you to his posting after QL3 on the military's dime.

And, I can tell you this from experience, once you live in La Belle Provence, it is a B.I.T.C.H. to leave...  All your health care coverage and other assorted goodies pop up, and Quebec really takes you to the cleaners.  Anyone who thinks I'm lying, ask my wife about the $1300 bill that was given to us by the IWK for the birth of my second child because Quebec Health Care didn't cover her when she moved out here when I was posted to Halifax...

Stay in Halifax.  Wait out his posting after his QL3s.  It's the smart thing to do.

Cheers,

Rev

Again, I just wanted to say thank you to those who replied - I really appreciate all the advice and feedback.  :)

Thought I'd also add this update: He got sworn in on Feb. 18th and just started basic on the 24th. The journey has begun.

Back