• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New ships (cheap)

mad dog 2020

Inactive
Reaction score
Just announced the British Forces are doing major cuts> MAJOR.......... 7000 army 5000 navy 5000 airforce.
For sale the Ark Royal
Who needs a JSS.....
Mr Cameron will also order the flagship HMS Ark Royal - one of the Navy's two aircraft carriers - to be decommissioned or scrapped if a buyer cannot be found for her

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3186267/Royal-Navy-hit-by-government-cutbacks-including-no-jets-for-its-aircraft-carriers-for-next-decade.html#ixzz12rHaIZ8W
I don't think we will be getting new jets.

mad dog 2020 said:
I don't think we will be getting new jets.

You know that the UK is ,like, a whole different country right ?

Yes I do know, but Sorry we are in a global recession and we have money issues here too.  Don't be surprised if we have a similar train of thought.  Especially when we pull out of Afghanistan.
jets are important and if anything the order will be trimmed.

Don't forget we bought subs (Victoria class) from the Brits and that was a major failure!!!

They're getting rid of a Bay Class as well, which would be a great LPD option for us at the right price. Used by the Dutch and Spanish as well as the Rotterdam/Galicia Class. Crew of just 60 plus space for 350 troops and 32 tanks/armoured beasts. 1 LCU carried. Now that we're going for 2 basic oilers, perhaps such a procurement could work seeing as they are still talking about a 2.6 billion budget.

I thought it said new sheep....and I was looking for a Highlander to jump out of the woodwork.....

Senor Mono said:
They're getting rid of a Bay Class as well, which would be a great LPD option for us at the right price. Used by the Dutch and Spanish as well as the Rotterdam/Galicia Class. Crew of just 60 plus space for 350 troops and 32 tanks/armoured beasts. 1 LCU carried. Now that we're going for 2 basic oilers, perhaps such a procurement could work seeing as they are still talking about a 2.6 billion budget.

When was it announced we are getting 2 basic oilers? I guess the CMS missed that memo as well as the last brief we had from Commander Marlant. Both stated we had to reevaluate the options but were still commit ed to 3....

Don't forget we bought subs (Victoria class) from the Brits and that was a major failure!!!
Really....how so? Have you spoken to anyone in our submarine community regarding what they think?

Jim Seggie said:
I thought it said new sheep....and I was looking for a Highlander to jump out of the woodwork.....
...What?  Where's the sheep?...

Dang it...  been had again...

At least being a highlander is better than being, of all things, a Welshman.  <shudder>  >:D

The subs are doing great work, Thank you. They just needed more upgrading and refitting because they were left alongside too long.

As for the others: I do not want Ark Royal, she is getting too old to be of use much longer.

I do like the Bay class however, and they are new enough to have lots of life left in them. But please: get them right away -asap after they cease to be operated by the British.

I don't think the boats can be called a major failure, although I don't think they could be called a major success either. They had a lot of design and construction problems, along with spares issues. The layup didn't help but wasn't a significant factor.

They should be working as well as they're realistically likely to get within the next couple of years.

The bay class would be a great stop gap solution to the support ship issue.  While the bean counters are working out the details we could use one or two for replenishment, disaster relief, getting our tanks back home from a
Afghanistan, and as oilers.  These LSD have enormous storage tanks for fuel(normally for helicopters and land vehicles) that can be converted for ships.  And when the new support ships are done they can still be used as LSDs. 
A good way to enforce northern sovereignty might be to deploy a battalion of infantry in the north every once and a while for some exercises.  These are just the right kind of ships to do it.     

jewalsh said:
The Victoria Class were a major failure?  1 pound each seems pricey to you?

Lex Parsimoniae said:
The Victoria Class were a major failure?  1 pound each seems pricey to you?
And worth every penny, apparently!

The_Unabooboo said:
  The bay class would be a great stop gap solution to the support ship issue.  While the bean counters are working out the details we could use one or two for replenishment, disaster relief, getting our tanks back home from a
Afghanistan, and as oilers.  These LSD have enormous storage tanks for fuel(normally for helicopters and land vehicles) that can be converted for ships.  And when the new support ships are done they can still be used as LSDs. 
A good way to enforce northern sovereignty might be to deploy a battalion of infantry in the north every once and a while for some exercises.  These are just the right kind of ships to do it.   

You do know we get other consumables from our AORs besides fuel right? What about food....ammo.....spare parts?

The_Unabooboo said:

We already do periodic exercises in the North. Getting troops to the north by sea is too slow How do you get troops from Petawawa up there ? You have to send them to a port...load them on ships and then sail north. That takes alot of time. Getting them there by air is not.

The best way to maintain presence in the north is still by air (as is done now by 440 Sqn and the LRP Sqns) with a small presence on the ground ( like the Canadian Rangers). We can continue to demonstrate our ability to conduct operations there through exercises. If an emergency arises, troops can be flown in to respond much faster than by sea.

The main threat in the north is not from a ground invasion. A battalion of infantry is a poor response.

Oh, man oh man.  I am drooling at the thought of getting our mitts on a Bay class or two.  They would be a great asset to the fleet and would do many of the  things I was speaking of in another thread.  But who are we kidding, it would not fly to make a stab at acquisition.  Shame.

if the Bay Class ships where to be allocated, how much would it cost to maintain them? Would they serve a purpose? Unless they are affordable and would serve a sufficient purpose I don't think they should be considered, but as a maritimer I would like to see Canada Beef up its Maritime fleet. Wouldn't building our own ships, make jobs? I don't see why we don't do that. Then again something I don't totally understand just me ranting.

Mike

canada94 said:
if the Bay Class ships where to be allocated, how much would it cost to maintain them? Would they serve a purpose? Unless they are affordable and would serve a sufficient purpose I don't think they should be considered, but as a maritimer I would like to see Canada Beef up its Maritime fleet. Wouldn't building our own ships, make jobs? I don't see why we don't do that. Then again something I don't totally understand just me ranting.

Mike

Search and read shipbuilding has been discussed time and time again.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Back