• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new search engine required !

Goibniu

Inactive
Reaction score
hello everybody. im pretty new around here and think this site is full of great information! but personally i find it discouraging that every time i try to post a a question most reply saying rather boldly to do some homework and use the search engine. i fact about 75% of the posts ive read theres been similar replys, but quite frankley the search engine currently in use dosent really work well. i feel that if a more  thorough search engine was employed alot of trouble could be adverted. I realise that this has no doubt been brought up before but i did a quick search and the closet post i could find was date 2007. which brings me to another question, alot of the post here are few years old, the advice given in those posts may be out dated, should i repost the same questions to see if there still in effect ?  anyways i hope you dont take this the wrong way, the info on the sites great its just is kinda hard to find up to date information on a few topics.... thanks in advance for any anwsers and considerations

If you don't know the answer, to the question you are asking, how can you say it is outdated?

dileas

tess

Goibniu said:
hello everybody. im pretty new around here and think this site is full of great information! but personally i find it discouraging that every time i try to post a a question most reply saying rather boldly to do some homework and use the search engine. i fact about 75% of the posts ive read theres been similar replys, but quite frankley the search engine currently in use dosent really work well. i feel that if a more  thorough search engine was employed alot of trouble could be adverted. I realise that this has no doubt been brought up before but i did a quick search and the closet post i could find was date 2007. which brings me to another question, alot of the post here are few years old, the advice given in those posts may be out dated, should i repost the same questions to see if there still in effect ?  anyways i hope you dont take this the wrong way, the info on the sites great its just is kinda hard to find up to date information on a few topics.... thanks in advance for any anwsers and considerations

You will find that your results with the search function will improve as you learn and refine the applicable vocabulary.  That is also one of the reasons why we encourage proper spelling, and the use of correct official terminology as much as possible.  The use of the features that let you limit the search to certain boards within the forum and also for more current threads helps to eliminate extraneous results.

Also, there's nothing wrong with asking is something more current on a subject is available, such requests should include a link to the info you've already found.  That demonstrates that you have searched, that you are aware of the existing information and it offers potential respondents a chance to review what has previously been posted to see if they recognize that a new version might be available.

In defence of Goibniu I too have to admit that the search engine doesn't always generate the expected results.  And that is when I am looking for stuff that I myself have posted......Aluminum is a possibility here admittedly.

On the other hand,  perhaps it is the same problem that one encounters on Shared Drives universally.  You know you put stuff there.  You know others have put stuff there but be blowed if you can make sense of what you turned up, because it isn't what you expect.

Perhaps we have to cut the newbies a BIT more slack when they say "Hunh?"

But it is fair to point them to previously posted info and ask them to read it.......After all, if it is so easy to find the data it shouldn't take us very long to answer their question, should it?

Kirkhill said:
But it is fair to point them to previously posted info and ask them to read it.......After all, if it is so easy to find the data it shouldn't take us very long to answer their question, should it?

You're right. The problem is we have a few thousand regular posters that sit back and expect the DS to do that for each and every newbie when the show up.  You know, the ones who post crap like: "One of the DS will be along to sort you out in a minute."  Or those who just ignore it until they can complain about the staff not appearing helpful.

OK Michael.

Guilty as charged.  :D :-[

I would help if I could, but as I said, I have difficulty with finding things with the search engine.

Cheers, Chris.

Kirkhill said:
OK Michael.

Guilty as charged.  :D :-[

I would help if I could, but as I said, I have difficulty with finding things with the search engine.

Cheers, Chris.

And yet those who complain about the search engine seldom actually tell us what they were looking for and what search terms they used.  Without such information it is impossible to assist or to suggest new approaches to use of the tool.

Another option is to use google: use the search term "site:forums.milnet.ca" plus whatever search terms you're looking for.  Not 100% either, but a nice addition to your toolbox.

It is also better to resurrect an old thread by "bumping" it back to first page rather than making a redundant redundant newer version of that thread.

Best practice is to keep on googl'ing until you find your answer. Google knows EVERYTHING, it's just a matter of refining your searching skills.

Back