• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New replacements for HMCS Iroquois, HMCS Algonquin and HMCS Athabaskan?

I'm going to resurrect this thread with some questions, since the news of ATH being refitted made me ponder our replacement options.

SCSC, while a nice idea, will take a long time to get in the water, so instead, would it be wise to buy something like the new Type-45 Destroyer to replace the 280s, and start SCSC for replacing HALIs while they're 25-30 years old?  Perhaps having 4 built for us in the UK, since the Canadian acquisition process would take a long time, might be a good plan.  Politics aside, would the Type-45 be a good fit for Canada, or is it overkill for our needs?  I saw Dauntless in Portsmouth about 2 weeks before she was commissioned, and I have to say that she is a marvelous sight.  My (wild) estimate in cost would be around $7bn for 4 (1.08bn GBP X 1.62CAD/GBP * 4).  Given that we're spending $3.1bn on refitting the Halifaxes (granted that there are 12 to be refitted, so $260mn each), it doesn't seem that out of reach for 4 top-line destroyers.

Thanks in advance for the information,
ekpiper

Lots of discussion regarding 280 replacement options are really widely discussed already throughout the forum.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Back