• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Private Members Bill: Give (Department of) Peace a chance!

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From the same guy who brought you this one, another Private Members Bill introduced and making it past First Reading yesterday:
Mr. Speaker, I am pleased to introduce my bill, an act to establish the department of peace, to help advance the cause of peace in Canada and throughout the world.

The idea that all people can live in peace may seem a bit utopian, but each generation must, on behalf of the next generation, do everything in its power to come as close to reaching this goal as possible.

I would like to pay tribute to my former colleague, Bill Siksay, for introducing this bill in the last Parliament. He truly was and remains an inspiration for all of us.

I would also like to thank the leader of the Green Party and the Liberal member for Scarborough—Agincourt, as well as my fellow NDP members, for supporting this bill.

I also thank the folks from the Canadian Department of Peace Initiative for all their hard work in advancing this cause, a number of whom are here today. I extend a special thanks to Bill Bhaneja, the co-founder of CDPI, as well as Theresa Dunn, co-chair of CDPI, Koozma Tarasoff, a Doukhobor writer, historian and long-time advocate of peace, and Laura Savinkoff of Grand Forks of the Boundary Peace Initiative, among others.

This is truly a non-partisan issue. I urge all my colleagues on both sides of the House to join us in support of this important initiative. Let us give peace a chance.
More on Bill C-373, An Act to establish the Department of Peace - no text available yet - here.

May soon have to start a merged "Wacky Funster Private Members Bills" thread.....

:peace:

Let me guess, the minister will be a pothead yoga guru from Sooke, there will be no paper, computers or telephones to communicate with - you meditate on your memo and transmit it telepathically.  They'll start deploying on UN stabilization missions baked out of their minds, with weird blue clothes on, negotiating with warring factions by starting out with "Chill out dudes, war is bad..."  I guess the bad guys MIGHT think there is some bad juju in the air or water at that point and withdraw in confusion...but we all know that they'll eventually come back, bash them in the heads and drag Oddball away in orange coveralls and do as they please to them on YouTube.

I see at least a Darwin Honourable Mention in the near future...

MM

yf1.jpeg

Somebody should take this wretch by the ear and make him watch the Youtube video that features the Dutch CDS on why he chose to pick up the gun rather than the brush or the pen.

I can't post the link, but if you go to Youtube and search for Peter van Uhm, its a damned good 18 minute presentation.

Maybe someone can float that idea to AQ or the Taliban.

I was making a lengthy post to really try and hammer home the fact that this guy is out in left field smoking the ganja, but really one word sums it up... special.  What a waste of time, oxygen and effort.  :facepalm:

medicineman said:
Let me guess, the minister will be a pothead yoga guru from Sooke, there will be no paper, computers or telephones to communicate with - you meditate on your memo and transmit it telepathically ....

Ladies and gentlemen, a nominee for the position of Canada's new Minister of Peace ....
the_big_lebowski_movie_image_jeff_bridges__3_.jpg

.... the Honourable Jeff Lebowski (a.k.a. the Dude General of Canada)

Ladies and gentlemen, a nominee for the position of Canada's new Minister of Peace ....
.... the Honourable Jeff Lebowski (a.k.a. the Dude General of Canada)
Perfect. "This aggression will not stand, man!"

But seriously, between Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation I think we ought to have this covered.

Once we've got the Ministry of Peace, we'll only need the Ministry of Truth, the Ministry of Love and the Ministry of Plenty to be complete.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows."

dapaterson said:
Once we've got the Ministry of Peace, we'll only need the Ministry of Truth, the Ministry of Love and the Ministry of Plenty to be complete.

What about the Ministry of Magic? 
8.gif
    ;D

Rheostatic said:
But seriously, between Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation I think we ought to have this covered.
But what about the times when doing the former interferes with the latter, man?  What then?
:dude:

Rheostatic said:
The mandate of DFAIT (which, oddly, uses the acronym DFAIT to somehow spell out "Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada"),  is to manage Canada's diplomatic and consular relations and to encourage the country's international trade.

Its role is to make Canada one of the economic oppressors, dude, not international "cooperation."

Rheostatic said:
Perfect. "This aggression will not stand, man!"

Is that where we can have an affair with a foreigner? Sounds like fun as long as she's cute.

Jim Seggie said:
Is that where we can have an affair with a foreigner? Sounds like fun as long as she's cute.
Don't know if that's more Foreign Affairs or Department of the Interior.....  >:D

In the name of austerity....can we combine them?

Then we can just call it Foreign Interior Affairs

CDN Aviator said:
Why stop there ?

Foreign Interior Revenue Affairs Defence
Why even stop there?

Justice, National Defence, Public Safety, Public Works and Government Services, Status of Women, Human Resources and Skills Development, International Cooperation, Foreign Affairs, Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario, Treasury Board, Finance, Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, Agriculture and Agri-Food, Industry, Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec, Minister of Health, Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency, Atlantic Gateway, Fisheries and Oceans, Environment, Labour, National Revenue, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, Veterans Affairs, International Trade, Asia-Pacific Gateway, Natural Resources, Intergovernmental Affairs, Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency,La Francophonie, Small Business and Tourism, Americas and Consular Affairs, Western Economic Diversification, Transport, Science and Technology, Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario, Democratic Reform, Seniors and Sport Canada

Bit of a b***h fitting it onto one side of a standard biz card, much less in French, but pretty unified....

Back