• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Perspective Recruit - Couple Quick Questions

A

a_user

Hey Gang,

Not 100% sure which of the three sections this should go under, so if my posting in this section is inappropriate my apologies in advance!

Now onto my questions

I am interested in enlisting with the reserves. I have a full time civilian job where I cannot easily take the eight to thirteen weeks off in a row for bmq. My understanding is that many units also provide bmq on full weekend basis for X number of weeks. Is this standard practice for those civilians who cannot get the time off to bang out BMQ in one continuous cycle due to work obligations? Likewise, if this training can be done on weekends only how long does this process typically take?

After BMQ I know there is basic Soldier Qualifications. Is this training provided in the same manner? If not, how long it does it typically take to complete?

Then for trade qualification training? Same thing. Is it possible to do this training on weekend basis as well or is this training only run in a continuous fashion like the regular force at battle school? In my case 011 in Gagetown.

I was enlisted in the RF in late 90's but vr'ed due to tearing an upper trepeizius muscle on week 8, getting sent to ST platoon and needing to wait approx 3 months for another opening at battle school for my primary trade. I really did not want to pursue my 2 additional electives. So I am somewhat familiar with what to expect, can pass the physical entrance exams, etc just not sure how to the reserves are handle with relation to civilian jobs someone can not easily get away from for a few weeks at a time if they cannot afford the financial repercussions (an employer that does not pay any kind of top-up).

PS.

The search function keeps throwing an error for me so I apologize if this has been asked previously. I did walk back quite a few pages but did not see the answer specifically stated anywhere.

Thanks guys

I have a full time civilian job where I cannot easily take the eight to thirteen weeks off in a row for bmq. My understanding is that many units also provide bmq on full weekend basis for X number of weeks. Is this standard practice for those civilians who cannot get the time off to bang out BMQ in one continuous cycle due to work obligations? Likewise, if this training can be done on weekends only how long does this process typically take?

Weekend BMQs are normally run every other weekend for several months. You show up on a Friday night at about 1900 and leave on Sunday at around 1600.

After BMQ I know there is basic Soldier Qualifications. Is this training provided in the same manner? If not, how long it does it typically take to complete?

SQ (or as it's now called, BMQ-Land) can either be done on weekends at your unit, much the same way that BMQ is run, or full time during the summer  (in Meaford if you're in 31 CBG like you said earlier) The summer course is 4 weeks long.

Then for trade qualification training? Same thing. Is it possible to do this training on weekend basis as well or is this training only run in a continuous fashion like the regular force at battle school? In my case 011 in Gagetown.

I've heard of trades training being done on weekends but if it is done it's a very rare thing. You will be sent to a training facility for the course. Since you're looking into Armored Recce (excellent choice by the way  ;)) you'd go away for a one month course in Meaford where you'll learn how to maintain and drive the G-Wagon, how to work a radio, AFV recognition and history.

Thanks for the info AgentSmith! Bummer they scrapped the cougars (well makes sense since they phased them out entirely) from the basic trade qualifications. How many of the ResF armoured recce units have coyotes in their inventory? I know Queens York Rangers do..or at least they used to?

a_user said:
Thanks for the info AgentSmith! Bummer they scrapped the cougars (well makes sense since they phased them out entirely) from the basic trade qualifications. How many of the ResF armoured recce units have coyotes in their inventory? I know Queens York Rangers do..or at least they used to?

WHAT!

You know it isn't right to start rumours about things you know absolutely F__ all about.

So let me ask. I was told the cougars were retired from the inventory and that reserve units will not be retaining the same armoured inventory they had previously. so what is inaccurate with that statement? This was coming from someone in the queens york rangers. Apologies if this is inaccurate. Was not my intention to spread misinformation so I will keep my mouth shut.

If the Queens York Rangers had Coyotes I'd join them in a heartbeat! Trouble is they don't and whoever told you they do, lied.  The only thing the reserves get is the G-Wagon (which isn't too bad really)

Im sorry if this is considered off-topic but let me ask since this thread is somewhat related. If the Reserve armoured reconnaissance units are only providing the g-wagons now has the role of the armoured recce units changed somewhat? What I mean by this is the following. I thought some of these units used to use the Coyotes (misinformation)? That would indicate that although they are deployed ahead of the main battalion in an observation and scout based capacity they could more easily provide self-defense and direct fire support as appropriate. I could be mistaken here in that perhaps most of these units actually used the Iltis instead and maybe only had 1-2 coyotes in their inventory?

With the G-Wagon being the defacto standard deployed in the armoured recce reserve units would these units not be more infantry focused now with an emphasis on dismounted foot patrol recon with the g-wagon's as the primary method of getting within the couple klicks necessary of the patrol and observation points?

Just seems strange they are still considered an armoured unit when they seem to have very little if any armour left in the units?

a_user said:
So let me ask. I was told the cougars were retired from the inventory and that reserve units will not be retaining the same armoured inventory they had previously. so what is inaccurate with that statement? This was coming from someone in the queens york rangers. Apologies if this is inaccurate. Was not my intention to spread misinformation so I will keep my mouth shut.
InsideOut said:
Im sorry if this is considered off-topic but let me ask since this thread is somewhat related. If the Reserve armoured reconnaissance units are only providing the g-wagons now has the role of the armoured recce units changed somewhat? What I mean by this is the following. I thought some of these units used to use the Coyotes (misinformation)? That would indicate that although they are deployed ahead of the main battalion in an observation and scout based capacity they could more easily provide self-defense and direct fire support as appropriate. I could be mistaken here in that perhaps most of these units actually used the Iltis instead and maybe only had 1-2 coyotes in their inventory?

With the G-Wagon being the defacto standard deployed in the armoured recce reserve units would these units not be more infantry focused now with an emphasis on dismounted foot patrol recon with the g-wagon's as the primary method of getting within the couple klicks necessary of the patrol and observation points?

Just seems strange they are still considered an armoured unit when they seem to have very little if any armour left in the units?

Nice try.    NOW ANSWER YOUR PM RIGHT NOW or you will face the consequences.

George
milnet.ca Staff

a_user said:
I know Queens York Rangers do..or at least they used to?

To echo what GW said... WHAT?

Your source might want to brush up on his or her AFV recognition. The big vehicle that used to park outside the Aurora Armouries was a cube van, not a Coyote!

George Wallace said:

I rolled on the floor laughing when I saw this lol.

By the way if you joined right now for 31 CBG you won't be in for BMQ until October or Jan/Feb.

AHAHA QYRANG....with coyotes?!  LOL.  Now that's a gigglefest!  We have G-Wagons and belive me the guys/girls do a fair amount of training with them too. 

Back