• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Operational Service Medal Announced

dapaterson said:
Perhaps I should be clearer:  I didn't receive Sweet Bupkis, because I didn't deploy on OP SCULPTURE; I do have a significant number of friends who did deploy.  Of course, as a small mission it garnered little attention, nor did we really make an effort to capture lessons learned.  Because, really, what could we learn fro ma mission where we embedded some senior folks with the SL military leadership to mentor them, and inserted Combat Arms SMEs into SL units to mentor and develop them.  It's not like we're doing that anywhere else...
:rofl:

If it weren't true, it would truly be funny.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
:rofl:

If it weren't true, it would truly be funny.

Yep, it's actually kind of embarassing eh? Really very sad how we are forgetting our own.

dapaterson said:
Op HALO isn't the only forgotten group - OP SCULPTURE first deployed in '99 or so, and to my knowledge there has been no CF recognition yet - a few of the earliest rotos got a Brit medal that took years to get approval to wear, but to my knowledge, sweet bupkis from Canada.

I know a Canadian soldier (now deceased) who was a recipient of the Brit medal.  He told me it was awarded to all in theatre who were (unintended) participants in offesnive operations conducted by the SL military.  As SME/trainers, they deployed with their supported SL units in much the same manner as our OMLTs do today.

Now, should we be looking for medals for each and every OP that we go on?  Should we be asking for medals for OP Nanook and OP Narwhal?  I won't ask about OP Boxtop, as that is probably covered by the SSM (ALERT) bar  :-\

I want one for Operation Persistence (Swissair Flight 111 cleanup)

-jk- (would be cool though)

I have to agree with Vern, long overdue and IMO it's beauracracy getting in the way of Military matters once again.

A mighty shame as recognition is long overdue. Here's mine :

:salute:

George Wallace said:
Now, should we be looking for medals for each and every OP that we go on?  Should we be asking for medals for OP Nanook and OP Narwhal?  I won't ask about OP Boxtop, as that is probably covered by the SSM (ALERT) bar  :-\

In that case, I want mine for Op FEATHER and Op SALON.  After all, the Warrior Society claimed I was in another country...

George Wallace said:

HUGE difference George.

The above ops that you've listed are Dom Ops (and no Op Boxtop does not receive the SSM [Alert Bar]); and after all defending Canadian Sovereignty is our primary raison d'etre "to defend Canada and her sovereignty" ... that's doing our jobs.

International operations (not of the war to defend our sovereignty type) are not our raison d'etre and therefore they are treated differently than Dom Ops. This is normal and is the way it has always been ... save for Op Sculpture and Op Halo apparently. So again ... why are pers from these two international operations STILL waiting ???

Op Halo -- Chapter VII Peacemaking and
Op Sculpture -- SL initiated Offensive actions

Do NOT equal = Vern sitting all snug in Thule AFB issuing out plane parts and going to the Top of the World bar each evening as part of Op Boxtop.

Edited to add:

And, FOR THE RECORD: I was part of neither Op Sculpture nor Op Halo; this thread has ZERO to do with me attempting to gain myself some more bling (I've got no room on my chest for more anyhow) ... it's got to do with getting Canadian Soldiers the recognition they deserve for those international operations they have particpated in ... just as all other Canadian soldiers who participated on international Ops have been recognized.

My understanding is that the plan is to go the way of the Brits... instead of a new bar for the GCS with every separate go overseas, we'll be wearing a new GCS on our chests, with a different coloured ribbon. The Brits call it their Operational Service Medal - they have three at the point: Afghansitan, Sierra Leone, and Congo. Same medal, different coloured ribbon. Apparently it'll cut down on time in that the only thing that'll need to be approved is a new coloured ribbon. Presumably, all of these overseas missions (Halo/Sculpture/etc) that have not yet been recognized will be recognized with a GCS and separate ribbon. Complete RUMINT at this point, but my source was my supplier for medals and medal mounting equipment, who are as I understand it fairly chummy with the DHH folks. The lady I spoke with today said something about 6-10 new medals coming out this calendar year, including the much debated 'Wound Medal'. Hopefully I'm not adding fuel to an already heated issue, but I do know that the issue of appropriate recognition continues to be discussed at the highest levels - just wish they'd get their act together sooner.

Rgds,

Jason

(edit: spelling)

vonG,

Didn't it take us 2 or 3 years to get our Stars for Afghanistan - like after everyone who was there after us got their's?  Personally, though a little annoyed, I'm not overly surprised.  Hey, I'll just be happy to get my crown on my grad parade instead of in the mail like the rest of my class - if my Haiti gong were to show up, I think I'd be laughing too hard at that point to actually march up and get the thing.  Forget the both at once...

BTW Vern, thanks for ressurrecting this for us Haiti vets (yes vonG, even us NSE wogs) and my buddies that were in SL, and those who won't get to wear their's when/should they eventually arrive.

MM

medicineman said:
vonG,

Didn't it take us 2 or 3 years to get our Stars for Afghanistan - like after everyone who was there after us got thier's? 

LOL. You're bringing up a sore point for quite a few troops. Some of us were there months when you guys arrived and VonG sauntered through the QM (I think I harassed him BTW) ... and left months after you left. This after seeing our tours extended (some up to 10 months), HLTAs canned if they hadn't already been taken and our mission switched from Apollo to Athena ... and we only ever got the one. Kind of wierd seeing people who arrived after us and left before us ending up with both the SWASM and the GCS/GSM. Some things --- will never make sense to me.

Onto important matters though --- Op Halo had reason to be brought up again today to the CoC. People are beginning to ask questions -- in writing ... and asking for written responses -- the old passed in O Gp point of "it's awaiting approval" isn't washing anymore, they've been hearing it for months now.

You know, some kind of official update by the CoC (as per DHH status) would be nice seeing as how it's been 4 long years and 7 deaths. I think they deserve at least that much. Even if it's a "No, it's not apporved - will never be approved", whatever -- just TELL them already. Personnel seem to be fine when they are provided information. I son't know what the holdup is for this medal, or for info related to updates on it ... but I do know -- it is not good for morale for those pers who feel they've been overlooked by all this. Four years -- someone MUST know something; I think the troops deserve to know it too.

Vern: We have many senior folks in uniform, working in HR, who think it is their duty to never communicate anything until the official announcement comes out. Even to others in the CF.  Even if those others need the information to do their jobs (or prepare for their jobs).  I was in a meeting a week or so ago where I was given dagger eyes by a BGen - how dare a lowly representative of one of the Environments be present while decisions were being made or options discussed.

So the close hold of information is understandable - as a product of the dysfunctional culture of DND/CF HR management - it's their modus operandi.

ArmyVern said:
Sadly, IF it ever does get here -- it'll be too late for 7 of those Op Halo veterans (and, I could be wrong here ... the figures could actually be HIGHER).
Sadly, there is one more Op HALO veteran who will receive his medal posthumously.  I've just learned that Reverend Major Jean-Yves Fortin passed away last weekend (Saturday).
http://www.legacy.com/can-ottawa/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=109123846

His story is up there. RIP, Father.

See some comments on Op SCUPLTURE and Op HALO from a couple of Royal Canadians who were there.  (LINK)

Did Op Central ever get one?  (Honduras, 1999)  Or was that grouped under the SSM?

Greymatters said:
Did Op Central ever get one?  (Honduras, 1999)  Or was that grouped under the SSM?

Though there seems to be a little confusion about the operation's name, it appears that this was recognized by the SSM with Humanitas bar.

Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) Operation CENTRAL - Honduras
In the wake of Hurricane Mitch, the DART found itself in the middle of the Rio Aguan Valley, a heavily hit area of north central Honduras.

After an initial reconnaissance visit on November 5, 1998, the DART began its deployment, establishing the main headquarters in La Ceiba, a city of about 60,000 on the northern coast of Honduras. From here, troops and equipment were shuttled 75 kilometres inland to the DART's operational base, located near the village of Sonaguera, population 10,000.
. . .
At mission's end, in mid-December 1998, the DART had. . .

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dhh/honours_awards/chart/downloads/ssm_humanitas.pdf
THE HUMANITARIAN SERVICE BAR TO THE SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL

21. Central America (6 November to 23 December 1998) [Op CHARITABLE]. Provision of emergency medical, engineering, transport and supply services in the wake of Hurricane Mitch.

Bump.

So, what's up with the medal for Op Halo??

You know, the medal for our soldiers (or their surviving families) who still haven't received any recognition for that tour (at least 5 of whom are now deceased)??

Is it STILL in the Governor General's inbox awaiting approval as was disseminated TWO years ago via the O Groups??

Someone?? Anyone?? Beuller??

We seem to have had time since 2004 to come out with a medal for something that was already recognized with a Dress Distinction ...

When is someone going to finally find the time to look after those who actually are "unrecognized" ??

If it's not Afghanistan, it's not on the agenda.  Simple as that.  The Big Cod made his desires clear - so if there's a finite staff capacity to execute things, we'll get what he wants first.  So a Sacrifice Medal.  Soon to be followed by the Combat Action Badges (another cesspool of conflict arising from that one).  Then, someday, perhaps, OP HALO and OP SCULPTURE may get some recognition - though if DART does deploy to Haiti now, I'd expect them to receive a decoration before OP HALO.

Who, me, cynical?

Inexcusable.  Yes, I have a vested interest (I was there with I Coy, 2 RCR).  I cannot believe that in this day and age of a CORPS HQ, which breathes down the neck of a DIV HQ (RC South) AND down the neck of a BDE HQ (TFK) AND down the neck of a BG HQ to find out stuff that shouldn't concern them, that NDHQ cannot find TWO reasonably motivated staff officers to (a) design a medal and (b) draft paperwork to fire it up the chain of approval.  Disgusting.  Makes me feel that this beloved army of mine really IS bush-league.
:rage:

Could this just be that since the 3 or 4 senior officers that are there are getting their MINUSTAH gongs, and other than the rifle coy turnover, it was a one tour wonder, so nobody really cares?  Kinda reminds me of being in Croatia in that, despite the number of casualties we took, nobody really seemed to realize we were there, since the "action" was all happening in Bosnia...perhaps there wasn't enough "action" or publicity/public knowledge at any level to warrant even a bar to the SSM.  Or maybe there was enough public snivellling from some of Jack Layton's constituents to make it un-PC to award something.  I'm pretty sure it's not that Machiavellian (though you never know), it could simply be plain old senility on someone's part in NDHQ  ::).

In case you're wondering, I'm not (overly) bitter.

MM

Got bored at work today and lo and behold, realized that us Halo vets STILL have yet to receive even an inkling of information vis a vis our (alleged) medal.  The DH&R site doesn't have any updates on it - anyone heard anything new?  Pity there isn't a smiley of gasoline and a fire...

MM

Back