• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New meaning for "baby shower":Teen gives birth during shower, walks to hospital

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Wow- an 8-pound baby in the shower!!!!  :eek: Doesn't this give new meaning to the term "baby shower", eh?  ;D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24446946&GT1=43001

Teen gives birth, walks to hospital
Umbilical cord still attached during the trip — baby is fine

The Associated Press
updated 9:32 a.m. PT, Sun., May. 4, 2008

LONG BEACH, Calif. - A 17-year-old girl gave birth secretly at home, then walked four blocks to a hospital with the baby still attached by its umbilical cord.

"I was just a little nervous" when the labor began, Xochitl Parra said Friday from St. Mary Medical Center as she cradled her 8-pound, 3-ounce son, Alejandro.

The boy was normal and "eating like a champ," said Dr. Jose Perez, director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

The teenager said she was alone and taking a shower around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday to get ready for school. Then the contractions took over.

"I felt his head coming, so I sit down and pushed so he could come out," she said.

Couldn't call 911
Parra did not call 911 because the home phone was disconnected, and she did not want to wake the neighbors because it was so early. Instead, she wrapped the baby, got dressed and went to the hospital on foot.

"I started walking and jogging to the hospital," she said.

The teen came into the hospital lobby and asked for help, Perez said.

"She still had the placenta and the baby was still attached, so of course everyone said, 'Don't move!'" he said.

Perez praised the girl for taking quick action.

"They could have bled to death; thank God that didn't happen," the doctor said. "She was very clever. She knew what to do. She wrapped the baby up and walked over here."

Pregnancy kept a secret
Parra, a sophomore at Long Beach Poly High, said she had kept her pregnancy a secret because she was afraid her mother would "kick me out of the house." Her mother has now accepted the situation and is going to help the teen care for the baby so she can continue attending school, Parra said.

Perez called the outcome "heartwarming."

"We hear so much negative with teenagers throwing their babies in the Dumpsters," he said. "This baby is fine, and hopefully there will be a happy ending with the extended family."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.

Why don't we just post a big link to Fark, and stop crossposting all of these inane news items?

Talk about multi-tasking. Or, where is Darwin when we really need him?

No wonder this made news. A 17-year old girl giving birth in an odd location, in strange circumstances after a secret pregnancy, it must be a first.

::)

Old Sweat said:
Talk about multi-tasking. Or, where is Darwin when we really need him?

Or even, where is daddy when she needed him?

I'm thinking good on her for her reaction to the situation. Although she certainly could have done things better, at least the outcome worked out in the end. She had to have been scared to death I would think.

Not a first at all, Aviator -- but certainly different from most. Level headed in the end.

Well, she didnt leave it in a dumpster so i guess its not all bad

ArmyVern said:
Although she certainly could have done things better, at least the outcome worked out in the end.

Ya like used the "P" word and prevented it from happening in the first place  ::)

NL_engineer said:
Ya like used the "P" word and prevented it from happening in the first place  ::)

'cause she got knocked up by herself, right?

NL_engineer said:

Yeah certainly she could have.

So could daddy though.  ;)

Takes two to do the pelvic polka, horizontal tango --- whatever term one prefers. Seems to be only the moms that end up with the typical labels in the end though.

This one however, showed a vast more amount of maturity then the average 17 year old would in similar circumstances -- can't she even get credit for that?

ArmyVern said:
What are they playing!!??  ;D

Dueling Banjos, that is.  Deliverance.  Hmm, how appropriate to the thread, although, it never was two banjos, but a banjo and a guitar.  But I digress....

I agree with Vern, way smarter than your "average" pregnant teen.  Why is it always the women and never the men who have to put up with this crap?  ???

PMedMoe said:
I agree with Vern, way smarter than your "average" pregnant teen.  Why is it always the women and never the men who have to put up with this crap?  ???

In all due fairness, he clarified that he meant both. I'm good with that.

Better yet, why do women have to give brth rather than the men!!?? I move that we correct that situation forthwith!!  ;D

ArmyVern said:
In all due fairness, he clarified that he meant both. I'm good with that.

Seen, sorry about that, Chief.  ;)

ArmyVern said:
Better yet, why do women have to give brth rather than the men!!?? I move that we correct that situation forthwith!!  ;D

OMG, another GIRLCOTT!!!  ;D

Back