• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British soldier gives birth in Camp Bastion

Discrimination!! What if the guys want them too? huh huh....just so .....unsettling......hmph.... :D

bridges said:
Actually, it was you who gave me the idea, from your earlier post about DAG screenings.  At any rate, I wasn't thinking of CF-as-parent, but more along the lines of cases where they simply don't know, as seems to have happened here.  But it's hopefully an isolated set of circumstances & soldiers will continue to give themselves pregnancy tests of their own volition.  (the female ones...  ::)  )   

As a rule, during the screening, I'd ask if there were any chance of pregnancy, last period, etc, as well as if any birth control is being used when I went through their questionnaire with them.

But why stop there?  Let's test everyone that goes on HLTA during the tour.. some of them might have had fun?

Bzzliteyr said:
But why stop there?  Let's test everyone that goes on HLTA during the tour.. some of them might have had fun?

That's why I said the over reaction message would read "...monthly while in theatre".

MM

"overreaction message" ... heh heh, yes exactly. 

'Pregnant? I just thought I had an upset tummy’
How could the British soldier in Afghanistan not have known she was expecting a baby?
Article Link

"I know how she feels.” Those were my first words to my husband yesterday morning when we heard that a British soldier in Afghanistan had given birth to a baby boy – without even suspecting she was pregnant. Because it happened to me, too.

It was a Sunday morning in December 2004 and I was tackling a pile of ironing before we went Christmas shopping. Suddenly I was aware of sharp pains in my stomach. I headed for the bathroom, assuming that I had an upset tummy. The pains got worse and worse. Then I began to worry that it was appendicitis or something more serious. And finally I got this overwhelming urge to push. It was such an odd feeling. It was as if I was on autopilot. As I was doing it, all that was going through my head was: “What on earth is going on?”

Which is exactly what that soldier in Camp Bastion would have been thinking on Tuesday. Like me, she believed it was just stomach pains. And then, suddenly, she was holding her baby.

At least she was in a hospital. I was sitting on the lavatory in our house at Wickford in Essex. I tried calling my husband, Martin, but he was downstairs in the living room with his music on, playing computer games. He couldn’t hear me. I had no idea what to do, but somehow that didn’t matter. Instinct took over. I gritted my teeth and shut my eyes. I couldn’t bear to look because I knew I would faint. All I knew was that I wanted the pain to stop and that the only way to make that happen was to push.

And thank God, the baby was born quickly. It took about half an hour. The doctors told me that Ben – now eight – had the right shape of skull to come out easily. It wasn’t a maternal instinct that made me reach down and support his head. It was more logistics. I was on the loo. I didn’t want him to drown. And there, in my hand, was my baby’s head. The baby I’d no idea had been growing inside me.
More on link

Wow... what a mind-bending experience - irrevocably so.  I can't even imagine what thoughts and emotions would be coursing through her, amid the shock.  I know at some point I'd be thinking back with some concern at the wine & spiked coffees consumed in the previous nine months.

A co-worker of mine had such debilitating morning sickness, throughout all nine months, that when her baby was born it took her a while to even get over her own suffering enough to attempt to bond with her new daughter.  And then there are those who don't even know they're pregnant.  The human body is an amazing thing. 

Back