• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New equipment for Shipboad Use

IR/NV capabilities could use improvement.  I hear rumors of new stuff coming, but getting the NODLR's like we had on the Gatineau would be a step in the right direction.

How about RAM?  Rolling airframe missiles.  21 pack of rockets, replaces the CIWS body, and provides somewhat longer range point defence than the 20mm, even with the new block 1B.

Coveralls....YES PLEASE!!!

How about new BA's for fire-fighting?  The chemox's we use now are found in museums elsewhere.  (Literally.  I have a pic of them in the USS Missouri, and they have them in the Halifax Fire Dept's museum.) 

The idea of 20mm or 25mm deck guns is a good one, as the increased range would provide better standoff, but I thing the spot to put them would be the hangar mezzanines.  Take longer to man, but provide a decent spot for them, as well as a spot for ammo.  (There are already upper deck lockers in those areas.)

There's a couple of ideas to beat around.

NavyShooter

IIRC is there not a RADHAZ issue on the mezzanine decks of the hangar?

No, to my knowledge the mezzanine decks are never OOB due to RADHAZ considerations (hangar top is, of course with CIWS.)  However, manning the mezzanine decks would be an act of lunacy in any type of sea state, as well, they would likely have to traverse through RADHAZ restricted areas (missile decks) to actually get to the mezzanine, depending of course what the operational nature of the ship is in.  Perhaps unmanned weapons on the mezzanine is a more realistic option (I know I wouldn't want to trundle on out there in anything above SS 2)

Perhaps unmanned weapons on the mezzanine is a more realistic option (I know I wouldn't want to trundle on out there in anything above SS 2)

Indeed.  Doing FOD rounds on the hangar top during any kind of sea state is a bit exciting.

Back