• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Crown

Sounds like they’re going to mess with the passport too. Sounds like it will be hideous too.

Aside from the staff work required to change it, why does anyone care what the passport looks like?

I don't think anyone is really ooh-ing and aah-ing about the symbols on Page 14 vs Page 5.

The Trudeau government is even said to have investigated the concept of changing the dark blue passport to Liberal red — an idea that has apparently been put on hold, subject to quality testing.
...or the fact that Diplomatic Passports are already red.

Not that it means they can't change it - although I'd think it'd be hilarious if Diplo passports become blue instead, creating confusion for the vast majority of folks who don't follow passport colour changes.

Aside from the staff work required to change it, why does anyone care what the passport looks like?

I don't think anyone is really ooh-ing and aah-ing about the symbols on Page 14 vs Page 5.

...or the fact that Diplomatic Passports are already red.

Not that it means they can't change it - although I'd think it'd be hilarious if Diplo passports become blue instead, creating confusion for the vast majority of folks who don't follow passport colour changes.

At this point all I can do is giggle and shrug.

oh brother. the whole commemorative gong thing is so problematic, its IMO - not worth the bother. hand out coins for those who would like to remember the event. not decorations.
Agreed. Or make it standard across the board as far as the CAF is concerned. Stop pretending it is some sort of medal for merit and contribution. You were there? Good you get one.

So, not sure if it's been mentioned at all, but getting back to the supposed change in the crown design, isn't the original article just describing the Snowflake Diadem already being used on the obverse of some medals? Or is there an actual attempt at designing a Canadian Crown based on the Snowflake Diadem (just adding arches on top)? My thought is it's most likely the former than the latter, but who knows. I do hate how journalists in this country try to stir up controversy by describing everything as being "done by Trudeau". Any change to royal symbols, like a more "Canadian" crown, would be done by the Canadian Heraldic Authority, with approval from the current Monarch. So not likely at all, as there would have been an official announcement by the GG on behalf of the King.

So, not sure if it's been mentioned at all, but getting back to the supposed change in the crown design, isn't the original article just describing the Snowflake Diadem already being used on the obverse of some medals? Or is there an actual attempt at designing a Canadian Crown based on the Snowflake Diadem (just adding arches on top)? My thought is it's most likely the former than the latter, but who knows. I do hate how journalists in this country try to stir up controversy by describing everything as being "done by Trudeau". Any change to royal symbols, like a more "Canadian" crown, would be done by the Canadian Heraldic Authority, with approval from the current Monarch. So not likely at all, as there would have been an official announcement by the GG on behalf of the King.
I suspect the anger/frustration is based on most people having never seen the Snowflake Diadem on medals, and the fact it was announced after it was done.

People like to know when the national symbols are being altered...

Agreed.
One thing I don't get is that there will be 30,000 Coronation medals being produced and awarded, but there was no official Platinum Jubilee Medal made and awarded by the Gov't of Canada, they left it up to the provinces to do that. That was marking an achievement (reigning for 70 years) that probably will unlikely ever be repeated.

Agreed.
One thing I don't get is that there will be 30,000 Coronation medals being produced and awarded, but there was no official Platinum Jubilee Medal made and awarded by the Gov't of Canada, they left it up to the provinces to do that. That was marking an achievement (reigning for 70 years) that probably will unlikely ever be repeated.

See, I disagree. As long as Princess Charlotte can kill her older brother, father and grandfather in the next couple years, she can take the throne before she turns ten and easily reign into her nineties, reaching eighty years or more!

Why only 30,000? That's about half the number of the QDJM. I mean, the British basically fixed the issue of these medals by giving one to everyone with at least five years service, with the attrition rate right now, that's probably not that many people.

That‘s what you call a constitutional crisis. The Canadian Constitution simultaneously requires both “a Constitution similar in principle to that of the United Kingdom” and unanimous consent of all provinces and the federal parliament to changes to “the office of the Queen”.

The second component, the so-called “Hatfield Clause” is generally considered to enshrine Monarchy in Canada forever, since all 10 provinces can’t agree on anything, but the first component is rarely discussed. What happens if the United Kingdom ceases and becomes the United Republic? Are we constitutionally bound to keep a UK-style monarchy, even if there is no longer a UK? Is a Republic of Canada with a ceremonial President (like Ireland/India/Israel) ‘similar‘ enough to be constitutional? Or are we bound to recognize Charles III and his heirs as King of Canada, even should he also, when in England, be just a private citizen of a Republic.

This is separate from things like Canada’s Succession To the Throne Act, which is only the law, and is therefore amendable by Parliament. Constitutional issues are more difficult to work around.

What a nightmare that would be. Odds are we’d have a few years to see it coming and prepare, but the constitutional renegotiation would be something else. I can’t for the life of me think how that would play out.

What a nightmare that would be. Odds are we’d have a few years to see it coming and prepare, but the constitutional renegotiation would be something else. I can’t for the life of me think how that would play out.
That would be the dissolution of the Confederation I'm pretty sure.

By all accounts, a country as diverse and expansive as Canada is very much an anomaly.

Agreed. Or make it standard across the board as far as the CAF is concerned. Stop pretending it is some sort of medal for merit and contribution. You were there? Good you get one.
ya thats reasonable. ie) you were on the ground for it, other wise. fagataboudid. here's your coin if you request it to add to your box of coins...

I saw we avoid all of that, define the 'Crown' our constitution refers to as an inanimate object (maybe a literal figurehead) and keep the GG.

Or appoint a rotation of household pets as the adorable head of state; the town that elected a cat as mayor seemed to be fine.

I saw we avoid all of that, define the 'Crown' our constitution refers to as an inanimate object (maybe a literal figurehead) and keep the GG.

Or appoint a rotation of household pets as the adorable head of state; the town that elected a cat as mayor seemed to be fine.
How about my grandkids dog Archie? He's adorable. A Herc pilot told me that.

You, sir, have a wicked sense of humor. ;)

Seems like parties like to rebrand things when they get past or near their best before dates. I seem to recall the CPC doing this sort of thing in their last term. History certainly seems to be rhyming lol.
It’s all Harper’s fault for starting things with the CC-150’s ‘CPC Shamu’ paintjob! 😉
1683244700036.jpeg
(c) AirTeamImages.com

Why only 30,000? That's about half the number of the QDJM. I mean, the British basically fixed the issue of these medals by giving one to everyone with at least five years service, with the attrition rate right now, that's probably not that many people.
Maybe that's why it's 30K, we only have that many who have been in uniform that long...

Back