• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Colours For Irish Regiment of Foot Guards

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
lond20090420065lores.jpg

The Band of the Irish Guards, accompanied by regimental mascot 'Conmeal', a two-year-old Irish wolfhound, lead the battalion onto the quadrangle at Windsor Castle [Picture: Sergeant Ian Houlding]

610xb.jpg

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II looks at the new Queen's Colour and the new Regimental Colour, front, as she arrives for the presentation of Colours to the First Battalion of the Irish Regiment of Foot Guards at Windsor Castle, Windsor, England, Wednesday, May 6, 2009. AP Photo

610xd.jpg

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II (2nd L) accompanied by Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh (2nd R) presents new Colours to the 1st Battalion Irish Guards at Windsor Castle, Berkshire, on May 6, 2009. The 1st Battalion Irish Guards moved from Aldershot to Windsor to be under command of London District in February 2009. The Battalion will Troop the Colour at this year's Sovereign's Birthday Parade on June 13.

610xo.jpg

610xorn.jpg

610xoco.jpg

Troops of the First Battalion of the Irish Regiment of Foot Guards, lay down their arms during the presentation ceremony of new Queen's and Regimental Colours by Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle, Windsor, England, Wednesday, May 6, 2009.

610xm.jpg

610xz.jpg

610xn.jpg

lond20090420281lores.jpg

Her Majesty The Queen presents one of the two colours to Lieutenant Adam Kennard, whose father and grandfather both served in the Irish Guards [Picture: Sergeant Ian Houlding]

I have seen alot of British Army ceremonies but the "laying down of arms" is a first for me. Anyone know the reason for that aspect of the ceremonial ?

first, in order to enable troops to remove their bearskins. Second, because they were attending some sort of "church service"

Not that I am hugely excited about drill and ceremony, but for a Guards Bn, their dressing is leaving much to be desired.

I would think the issue with dress could be uneven ground or angle of the shot.

Back