• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Netherlands Selects C-390 to Replace Hercs

Interesting that the two contenders were the C-390 and the C-130J. No A400M?
The A400M kind of straddles that line between tactical and strategic airlifter, so it might just be it was more than they needed. Not sure. Good question though, considering the European context. I will note that Portugal and Hungary have both purchased the C-390, so it seems to be making some inroads in Europe.

Yup, if a country isn’t the A400 or C-17 kind of operator, the 390 is a nice platform.

If memory serves, in the 60s and 70s the Search and Transport utility squadrons were equipped with Labradors and Buffalos.

Would a mix of Ospreys and C-390s be an acceptable update?

If memory serves, in the 60s and 70s the Search and Transport utility squadrons were equipped with Labradors and Buffalos.

Would a mix of Ospreys and C-390s be an acceptable update?
Embraer did try to offer the KC-390 in the SAR competition. My feeling was that Embraer as a company was a dirty word in Ottawa. You know Bombardier and all. Ottawa was in a trade dispute with Brazil at the time. Even before Boeing.

One bright side going forward the implosion of Bombardier could really be a bonus for procurement. As the Boeing, Embraer stuff is meaningless going forward. I can not see the government fighting so hard on behalf Airbus Canada or Viking/Dehavilland.

Also I can't see where adding two new airframes would be helpful. We are in the C-130 club for foreseeable future. I would think the RCAF is just going to make the C-295 work or nothing. They will just take resources from other areas.

The KC-390 looks small in pictures, like C-27 size. I was supprised to learn it is larger than the C-130J
Given Boeing’s support to Embraer during the development, it’s no surprise the plane looks like a junior-sized 2-engine C-17. 😉

Embraer did try to offer the KC-390 in the SAR competition. My feeling was that Embraer as a company was a dirty word in Ottawa. You know Bombardier and all. Ottawa was in a trade dispute with Brazil at the time. Even before Boeing.
I think they even submitted a bid. One of the requirements was that it had to be in production when the bids were submitted, it was not, IIRC they had one or 2 prototypes at the time and were disqualified.

I think they even submitted a bid. One of the requirements was that it had to be in production when the bids were submitted, it was not, IIRC they had one or 2 prototypes at the time and were disqualified.
Yup.

Ironic that GoC/PSPC went hard single-stage competition, don’t dot an i or cross a t and you’re out, yet in the same time frame was big in two-stage, give bidders a chance to ‘resolve misunderstandings.’ 🤔

Back