• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEIP...what is your opinion?

IN HOC SIGNO said:
... I'm sure that appealing to an NCOs kinder gentler side works nowadays....

They have a kinder gentler side?  Since when??  I know I was never issued one....  :D

But seriously, maybe the instructors aren't aware of the whole program and timings.  If all the students do is 'talk' (I won't say the word that I am thinking!) amongst themselves about it, nothing will come out of it.  Even just a casual conversation with your instructor someday, as a class "hey PO, have you heard about the NEIP?".  Doesn't hurt to ask to speak to them about it, but just remember to keep things calm and clean, and just point out the facts.  Maybe nothing will come out of it, but it can't/won't hurt to find out.

Actually my instructors are also NEIP "babysitters" so they are well aware of it...but still not willing to budge. They think the program is wonderful....maybe they should do three months of it first.

I will also toss in that the first two weeks I was on NEIP, we had 2 lecture nights that were specifically set up for the higher ups to hear about our opinions of the program and what needs to be changed.

Springroll said:
Actually my instructors are also NEIP "babysitters" so they are well aware of it...but still not willing to budge. They think the program is wonderful....maybe they should do three months of it first.

As I continue to remain the devil's advocate on this discussion...

Thank you for bringing to our attention that your instructors are also there for this.  I will assume (yes, I know what this makes me  ;)) that not all of the same instructors are there each and every night, probably rotated throughout the schools?  But nonetheless, it means that they are also giving up some of their personal time (this was a point made in an earlier post, about losing out on personal time).  One would believe that the instructors have alot more going on in their personal lives (family, homes, community activities etc) then the students on the course.  As well, the students may have homework and assignments, but these instructors also have lesson plans, admin etc, that they need to work on too, to get you through the course.  So yes, the people taking NEIP may feel that they are hard-done by, and that the lectures and tours aren't required, and they should have their time to themselves.  But the instructors have "been there done that" years before as well, and are still putting in plenty of time to get you started on your own career.

It's 3 months out of your life folks.  Suck it up and carry on.  It's not going to be the best thing you have to do in your military life, but highly doubtful it will be your worst either.

No, I have not done NEIP.  I have done courses at the base, while living in shacks, and also having to go into class at night too.  I know, it doesn't compare probably to what they are doing exactly, but I am saying that it isn't as if I have no experience with life there as a student. 

As I stated in my last post, I have been playing devil's advocate.  Unfortunately, we have not had any instructors post about NEIP from their view, or anyone either that put the program together.  Until then, we are only seeing the student's side of things, and they are not the only one with a voice.

I'm not sure what the rotation is for duty neip master seamans but I can say I've been on neip for almost a month and still havn't had the same ms twice as a neip instructor.  I do appreciate those master seamans who must give up their personal time for neip, however we (od's) lose our night monday to thursday where as the neip instructors lose significantly much less personal time over neip.

I think its a big waste of the OD's time, in my mind it is nothing more than a babysitting service.  You know someone got a big fat PER from this though.

Just because you are new to the Navy way of life doesn't mean you are immature or need supervision all the time.  Your time off is just that, YOUR TIME.

I am sure most like it, but then again some people like prison too.  Just another way the Navy is going to increase numbers in the army and air force, by treating the sailors like kids, they will leave and go work where they will be treated like adults.

ArtyNewbie said:
those same neip instructors (required until 20:00) also do not stand base duty watches (24Hrs)

That is exactly why one of my instructors took it...so that they didn't have to stand any base duty watches.
Must be nice.

Regardless, tomorrow is my last day on this ridiculous program and I am going to make darn sure my thoughts and suggestions get put into the critique.

don't waste your breath!

The NEIP was somebody's brainchild and they will protect the validity and integrity of the course til the end. Training systems!!

Go for a beer instead. (non-alcoholic of course)

Springroll said:
That is exactly why one of my instructors took it...so that they didn't have to stand any base duty watches.
Must be nice.

Regardless, tomorrow is my last day on this ridiculous program and I am going to make darn sure my thoughts and suggestions get put into the critique.

Don't forget the number of times you were late for neip. :D

I am a little slow

I just figured it out!

NEIP = C*CK

The navy likes = C*CK

SO buy introducing new sailors to C*CK they will be more acceptable of it and more likely to stay in!

Ahhh Good times in the Navy.  I certainly hope my maid changes my towels out of my room today!

I'm Dolphin_Hunter, NOT D_H!

Dolphin_Hunter signing out with nice clean towels

4 1/2 months since I've been out of neip and I don't miss a second of it.

SoF said:
4 1/2 months since I've been out of neip and I don't miss a second of it.

I'm with you on that SoF!!
I guess they are in the midsts of "renovating" NEIP due to the many complaints received not only by the newbies but by course instructors too. Hopefully it changes soon for the next batch of sailors.

There is no doubt that this program is a the pet of someone, and its better off if this pet is put to sleep.  Thousands of people joined the Navy long before the NEIP and there were no problems, we didn't need a babysitter, we didn't need lectures on Naval traditions, we didn't need organized PT in the evenings.  We did our work day at the school, we studied in the evening, we did our own PT and we partied.  Sure people got in shit, but listen to any good story from one of your supervisors and I will bet anything it always ends up with someone getting in shit.

If the students and staff are critiquing the program in a professional matter, it could quite possibly be changed, or put down. 

You know things seem to go in rotations, when I was there on my QL3 course the duty watch would muster (a truck load of us, sometimes close to 15 on a duty watch at Nelle's) and we were sent to the fleet club, gym, and our watch rotation was setup, we would have to sit the room on the second floor WATCHING the flag out in the parade square just to make sure that no one would take it!  Then while living in Nelles on IR 3 years later the duty watch consisted of only a handful of people (3 sounds like the number) So eventually NEIP will run its course and it will be nothing but a bad boring story for the new sailors (when they are supervisors) to tell their junior personnel.

I don't know what it is with the navy, but some of the things they come with are pretty lame.  I did enjoy my time with the navy, but its the small things that get me fired up.  An example is this; PO2 Biggut goes into the heads and craps all over the toilet, he doesn't clean it up, OS Keenguy is tasked to clean it up as part of his cleaning station.  That is complete  nonsense.  I am by no means Captain Highliner, but having sailed on the Iroquois, Protecteur, Regina, Vancouver and the Victoria I can honestly say that on all 3 SURFACE ships this was a common occurrence.  SO perhaps the navy can start righting its ways by treating its junior personnel with some respect, and not have them cleaning up their crap.  The worst thing is that there is usually a toilet brush around, use the damn thing.

OS Keenguy go and help clean the smoking area

"But I don't smoke"

OS Keenguy I am only going to ask once      <---- actually witnessed that, he wasn't the same trade as myself and it only happened the one time.  Shouldn't have happened at all. 

I don't know what it is with the navy, but some of the things they come with are pretty lame.  I did enjoy my time with the navy, but its the small things that get me fired up.  An example is this; PO2 Biggut goes into the heads and craps all over the toilet, he doesn't clean it up, OS Keenguy is tasked to clean it up as part of his cleaning station.  That is complete  nonsense.  I am by no means Captain Highliner, but having sailed on the Iroquois, Protecteur, Regina, Vancouver and the Victoria I can honestly say that on all 3 SURFACE ships this was a common occurrence.  SO perhaps the navy can start righting its ways by treating its junior personnel with some respect, and not have them cleaning up their crap.  The worst thing is that there is usually a toilet brush around, use the damn thing.

And it happens until someone complains to the COXN, then you see it does not happen....I take it you never went through your chain of command to have it dealt with then. These incidents do happen but once the Coxn gets win , they stop PDQ. And its just not the C&POs who don't clean up after themselves either, the MS and below and Wardroom are not innocents in this either.

I sure did go through the chain, things changed, for the short term.  Yes the wardroom and the Jr ranks can be slobs, but who cleans the ship?  The junior ranks do.

Back