• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need urgent help with flight booking info!

LordOsborne

Inactive
Reaction score
I am trying to go to CFSAC this year. I am currently away from my Regiment, and have been corresponding with my OR through phone and email. I thought my OR was working on booking a flight for this sunday, the 7th of Sept. However, I haven't heard any information from them at all regarding a flight, despite specifically asking for said info in advance.

It's now Friday night, I'm quite sure my OR staff won't be in at all this weekend, and I'm almost certain that nothing has been done, or else I would have heard from them by now.

My question is, how can I find out if a flight has been booked in my name? Is it possible for me to book a flight myself? I know some of the FIN Codes for CFSAC, but I don't have a lick of clerical expertise.

Can anyone assist me?

Hey

Maybe the best bet is to book your own flight on your own credit card then submit the recipt to your OR and claim it. I assume this is military travel therefore it is your Units responsibility to have payed for this or reimburse you after the fact as part of your claim.

I don't suggest using a FIN code if you are not a clerk or authorized to use it.

Just my advice though

Thanks, bullet magnet. I am now seriously considering paying for my ticket there, and hoping that the OR can sort out a return trip. I have the # for the DND - AMEX travel line, and I plan on calling them once their tech support opens in the morning, to see if anyone has made a reservation for me in my name. If not, then I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy my own ticket.

Do you have a TAN number?
Is this and official trip or are you just doing it on a whim?
Are you on a teavel claim?
Do you have a joining message in your hand with you name on it?

If not its out of your pocket!

mover1 said:
Do you have a TAN number?
Is this and official trip or are you just doing it on a whim?
Are you on a teavel claim?
Do you have a joining message in your hand with you name on it?

If not its out of your pocket!

I don't have the specific TAN number, but I know who does. Yes, this is the official trip. I'm one of the team captains.
Being away from my unit, I don't have any physical paperwork in my hands. Like I mentioned earlier, all my correspondance with my OR has been via email and phone. I was expecting an email with all the usual information, including my ticket. However, I do know that I have been approved to go, I am registered with CFSAC, but somewhere along the line, my OR stopped getting back to me regarding my travel arrangements.

If it were me, I don't think I would have let Thursday pass without a definitive answer. That being said, if you are prepared to pay for a ticket yourself, you may be able to inquire about an e-ticket in your name - if the booking was made, you only need ID to get your boarding pass at ant ticket counter (providing it's with that particular airline...)

PatrickO said:
I don't have the specific TAN number, but I know who does. Yes, this is the official trip. I'm one of the team captains.
Being away from my unit, I don't have any physical paperwork in my hands. Like I mentioned earlier, all my correspondance with my OR has been via email and phone. I was expecting an email with all the usual information, including my ticket. However, I do know that I have been approved to go, I am registered with CFSAC, but somewhere along the line, my OR stopped getting back to me regarding my travel arrangements.

Why did you wait until Friday night?  If it were me, as suggested above, I would've been calling by Thursday.  Try AMEX and see if by chance one was booked. 

I didn't wait until Friday. I had been corresponding on a regular basis with my OR and they were well aware that I was going. I made sure to remind them on a regular basis, but I still recieved no answers from them. I called them on Wednesday and Friday and left messages, none of which were returned. (and yes, I did call during working hours)

I called AMEX this morning (no answer last night), and they have indicated that no bookings were made for me. Therefore, I think I'm going to pay out of pocket and claim it upon my return.

Thats your best option Patrick, Save all the proper paper work claim it all apon return

PatrickO said:
...but somewhere along the line, my OR stopped getting back to me regarding my travel arrangements.

...it should have been "somewhere along the line" that you should have ensured that the OR continued to inform you of the travel arrangements, and that means two-way comms, not just leaving messages.

My point is not so much about having the details of your air travel in this specific case as much as it is one of accepting responsibility and being proactive.  Imagine the trust that a future troop of Leo 2 tankers would place in you to make sure their troop commander was capable and competent to lead them...just saying...

*edit* p.s. Like, Bulletmagnet says, investing in a life lesson is likely the best option at this point.  Your CoC may actually take this as adaptive initiative.  Different situation, but I once paid for air tickets and the unit reimbursed me for them...(keep the boarding passes too, they prove you were actually on the flight)

**Update to the story**

I played some more telephone tag this morning, and finally got a hold of my C/Clk, who was entirely surprised that I was actually going to Ottawa. Apparently this communications breakdown is contagious, because nobody had informed the OR that I was going. The C/Clk is currently in the process of organizing tickets for me, so I now believe the situation has been resolved.

I'm certainly going to take this experience as a life lesson. It pays to keep in touch, especially when you are unable to make arrangements in person. Double-checking to make sure that everything is in order is a smart move, just in case things aren't normal. Not only that, but given the short notice of the CFSAC message and the way things played out, I should have spent more time making phone calls instead of emails and leaving things to the last minute.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input - lesson learned! ;D

Thanks - It's going to be a good show this year. More sponsors, looks like quite a few more shooters as well. Last year LFWA's team sent 5 members, all reservists, and all from BC (I was lucky enough to be one of them lol). This year we've got shooters from both provinces, both components and all sorts of units, so I'm glad the word is getting out.

PatrickO said:
Thanks - It's going to be a good show this year. More sponsors, looks like quite a few more shooters as well. Last year LFWA's team sent 5 members, all reservists, and all from BC (I was lucky enough to be one of them lol). This year we've got shooters from both provinces, both components and all sorts of units, so I'm glad the word is getting out.

- Which two provinces are in LFWA, anyhow?

;D

TCBF said:
- Which two provinces are in LFWA, anyhow?

;D

Maybe the question is better phrased as which three aren't in LFWA anymore?

Back