• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

need some help

shaboing

Inactive
Reaction score
hello, I'm not looking for someone, but I'm looking for information about my grandpa who served in ww2. he passed away in 97 when i was 12 so i never really got to talk to him a whole lot about what he did in the war. all i know is that he was in a tank... i have found her service number and i was wondering if there was a website of some sort i could use it to search for info like what regiment he was in, what battles he fought in and what medals he won (they were stolen in the late 60's early 70's). if anyone knows any way they can help post it or hit me up on msn or aim. thanks

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/020203/02020302_e.html

Thats about all I can suggest.  You have to fax/mail in a request, and they'll send you photocopies.  You'll need proof of relationship and proof of death.  I just used a copy of my Grandpa's newspaper obituary.  Being that your grandfather passed away less than 20 years ago, it specifies that "If the individual has been dead for less than 20 years, limited information may be released to immediate family."  I don't know how strict they are on the immediate relatives, so when I did the request for my Grandfathers records, I just asked my Mom to fill out the form (she was as interested as I was, so it wasn't a big deal). 

They say they try to respond to all requests in 30 days, and they were pretty close to that with the request I made.  I did a request for two Great Uncles, who died during the war, and my Grandfather who died in 1995.  All things considered, I was relatively impressed with the service I receieved.

Also, the service records I recieved don't indicate all the battles my Grandfather was involved in, but they detailed his training leading up to being deployed, the medals he won (I'm pretty sure, at least), and some other interesting facts.  As well, some of the information is hard to understand if you're not familiar with the terms and acronyms.  But it was interesting stuff nonetheless. 

thanks a ton. i will try this out. if there is anyone else with other ideas post em. thanks again, i hope this will work nicely

Do you know which regiment he was with?  If so the regimental association should have some historical records.  I have RCD info that my father left me, including a unit history of the Second World War that was published in the 40s-50s that lists most members of the regiment in one way or another.
PM me if it turns out he was RCD.

hey.. PM me or tell everyone what medals he won when and if you find out.. K??  You really hooked my interest!! :salute: :cdn:

Back