• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need some help...looking for a Laptop

FWIW i have both a PC and a Mac..........Guess which one i'm NOT using

CDN Aviator said:
FWIW i have both a PC and a Mac..........Guess which one i'm NOT using

Well then, from experience, don't you think a Mac is a better bet for a 17 year old guy who is going to most likely simply use it for MSN/ Army.ca/ and various Word projects?
Also, this was not about Mac vs. PC, it was about Mac vs. Vista, because Mr. Baker said "I really don't want Vista"  And I was merely saying that opposed to spending an extra five hundred dollars putting XP on, he could get a mac that is a better computer than a 700 HP DV, and it would already come with a bug-free operating system.

Anyways Baker, since it seams that I can't tell you anything about a mac, without being told to stop talking about my mac, my advice is to go look up the Specs on the different computers, they don't lie.  Choose which ever one you think is best for your needs.

Cheers, Kyle

MedTechStudent said:
Well then, from experience, don't you think a Mac is a better bet for a 17 year old guy who is going to most likely simply use it for MSN/ Army.ca/ and various Word projects?

Actualy, no i dont. Thats why i just got a PC for my 11 year old daughter.

And Mac OS is far from being "bug free"

And remember Baker keep your eye on the prize.  ;)

http://mun.bookware3000.ca/eSolution2/catalog/?catalog=root

Baden  Guy said:
And remember Baker keep your eye on the prize.   ;)

http://mun.bookware3000.ca/eSolution2/catalog/?catalog=root
;D

Oh of course I will.

-Dead

CDN Aviator said:
Actualy, no i dont. Thats why i just got a PC for my 11 year old daughter.

Ok fine, I'l rephrase it.

Do you not think that getting a $1,100 mac is better than buying a $700 acer with an added $500 of software, plus virus protection, plus warranty...for a 17 year old guy who is going to most likely simply use it for MSN/ Army.ca/ and various Word projects?

EDIT:  Never mind, to each his own.  Nothing wrong with PCs.  Thats why they've been around so long.

MedTechStudent said:
Ok fine, I'l rephrase it.

Do you not think that getting a $1,100 mac is better than buying a $700 acer with an added $500 of software, plus virus protection, plus warranty...for a 17 year old guy who is going to most likely simply use it for MSN/ Army.ca/ and various Word projects?

EDIT:  Never mind, to each his own.  Nothing wrong with PCs.  Thats why they've been around so long.

Well, wrt to cost, there's always this option too as suggested earlier in the thread:

RTaylor said:
If you snag a Dell find someone else with a Dell Windows XP disc, it'll install with no key without an issue because the motherboard tells Windows that it's a Dell system and because you're using a Dell OEM disc you'll never need a key.

It's what I had to do with my current rig for a duel boot, and I've done it for other people who were jaded on Vista or wanted to try out Vista. All Dell OEM operating systems will work on a Dell system w/o activation, keys or anything else needed. Ever.

Oh, and I've been using AVG virus scan for years!! It's free!! And, fortunately, I've never had a virus on my PC. I'm also running another freebie -- Ad-adware SE Personal to keep away all that nasty spyware and tracking cookies/urls.

ArmyVern said:
Well, wrt to cost, there's always this option too as suggested earlier in the thread:

Indeed, so could do that and save lots of money.

**Dude, you're gettin' a Dell?!**

MedTechStudent said:
added $500 of software,

People still buy software ?

plus virus protection,

Most ISP now provide decent security software with their service. And even of you dont like those, theres plenty of free ones available out there that work just as good.

plus warranty...

You mean extended warranty ? He will not likely hold on to whatever he buys for longer that 2 years before replacing it with the latest and greatest gaming machine......why bother wasting that kind of money.

If you're just looking for general usage and a bit of gaming stick with a Windows based laptop.

Macs are now just PC parts that are bios/os locked components and severely jacked up in price.

In reality, anything you can do with a Mac you can do with a PC, but it's not the same in reverse. A lot of programs and games are PC only and will not work on mac. Keep that in mind.

But macs looks so much nicer ;)

I meant 500 for XP + Installation, and you knew that, because it was in my previous posts.  But you got me, never gonna that that typo down.   :crybaby:

Ok take off the Virus Protection, that saves you about 150, so your price tag is still pretty steep.

And well ya, the warranty is probably a good idea, because it covers you dropping it, water damage, and can be used anywhere in the world where tech support is available.  Opposed to the factory warranty it comes with  My sister dropped hers and cracked the screen, it cost 700 just to replace the screen.

So like I said, what ever they all work, Macs, PCs, what ever suits you.  I don't believe it was necessary to place a stupid irrelevant link (which caused this entire little debate) as a response to me only doing what the threads title asked for, help.  But hey, guess I'm just a little sensitive.  :-[

Good luck Mike.  Let us know what you get.

RTaylor said:
But macs looks so much nicer ;)

Meh, ya in the box they do, stupid white is impossible to keep clean and smudge free.

MedTechStudent said:
I meant 500 for XP + Installation,

Installation ?

Who the heck can afford that !!!!

When i need something done to my computer, a few beers and hamburgers on the BBQ is what installation costs.  ;D

I'm sure that the OP knows someone who is computer savvy enough to  do something similar for him. Hes going to university for heaven's sake, i'm sure theres a few compuer geniuses around.......

CDN Aviator said:
Installation ?

You need to pay a technician to take Vista off your laptop, and put XP on.  The process is apparently pretty easy but they get to charge the big bucks for it cause its a "tech service" job.  XP costs about 250, then paying the Tech to install it costs around another 250.  I know because I wanted XP on my old HP laptop but said "oh hell no" when they told me it was going to be that much.

We don't all have a sweet grill to bribe people with.  :)

To Deadpan,

I went through the same process about a year ago, didn't want Vista but wanted a camera, VOIP phone, etc.

Bought an Acer 8210.

Lots of features, but VERY buggy!

Bottom Line:  I wouldn't buy another Acer.  On the other hand, I have had 2 Toshibas and they were both rock-solid.

Matthew.  :salute:

Here's the way I see it :

Go to Dell and get a decent laptop. Great prices, great range and reasonable customization. Snag an extra year warranty on it for a total of 2years worth of warranty. Try tweaking Vista, to be honest it's getting more of a bad rap then it should be. I run Vista64 Ultimate on my home pc (which Im on now) and I love it. For some things I prefer XP, but overall Vista is great. And as I said, find a friend with a Dell OEM XP-cd and get rid of Vista if you don't want it search the torrent websites for OEM Windows XP...most are from Dell CDs.

The real tip with Dell is to call up and see if they got a government or military rate, or wait for a holiday for their specials. I've seen some MAD ass deals from Dell and a good place to keep your eyes on is http://www.redflagdeals.com/

A Mac will have too much of a learning curve. Staples and Futureshop type places support suck donkey-wang, and most other brands I've seen sucketh monkeybutt. People are going to badmouth whichever decision you make, so pick the best bang for the buck and go with it.

Alright, I'm going to take the ball away from Dell for a second here.

I'm running a Lenovo T61 right now, I picked it up back in May for 1 200$, when Lenovo still had their "Buy More-Get More" deal on. My family has ALWAYS gone IBM and now Lenovo, and the machines are nice and reliable. I had a problem the first week I got it because I downloaded some garbage, but System Restore fixed that.

So for 1200 I got:
15.4' Widescreen XGA+ TFT
2.4 Ghz Intel Centrino vPro, Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)
Windows Vista Home Premium
3 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (2 DIMM) memory
Integrated fingerprint reader 
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Intel Turbo Memory 1GB
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (US/CAN/LA/AP)
9 cell Li-Ion Battery
Integrated SD card reader
3 USB ports

So lots of bang for your buck.

Plus, no company makes a slick machine in matte black, so OBVIOUSLY Lenovo is the way to go. HP is good as well, from what I've been told.

Well, I happen to like my Acer and liked the last one I had (for 5 years) too.  Matter of fact, my daughter is still using the old one and she downloads stuff like crazy!!

ArmyVern said:
Oh, and I've been using AVG virus scan for years!! It's free!! And, fortunately, I've never had a virus on my PC. I'm also running another freebie -- Ad-adware SE Personal to keep away all that nasty spyware and tracking cookies/urls.

Another good one to add is Spybot, also free.  http://www.safer-networking.org/en/

Also get Eusing free registry cleaner, and run it once a week.  Amazing how much crap can clog up the registry in a week.

Back