• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need some advice

Pte. Bloggins

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I‘ve got an important decision to make, so I was wondering if I could get some input from everyone out there. First, yes, I have done a search, and am intending to call the recruiting office next week. So there. Now you have to answer :p

I‘m nearing the end of my gr. 12 year, and have been accepted into U of T‘s Political science program. Now all of sudden I get the idea that maybe I should consider RMC. I‘m in the reserves now, did my basic last summer, doing QL3 this summer, and am liking what the military has to offer me. So, I‘m thinking to try out civvy university, and if it‘s not what I‘m looking for, to transfer over to RMC.

So any advice on what I should do? Also, does any military training i‘ve had transfer over (i doubt it)...i just don‘t particularly fancy doing basic twice. Do i have to get all my kit re-issued again? (read: i‘m liking my cadpat :p )Also, if i decide to take political science at RMC, will any of the courses i‘m taking next year transfer over?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but thanks for any answers.

If you decide you enjoy civilian university but wish to persue a career as an officer in the Regular Force, you could apply for ROTP at U of T (or any other civilian university). You‘ll do phase trg alongside the ROTP students @ RMC and graduate as a 2LT. Just another option that‘s not commonly known but still out there.

Can‘t help you with most of your questions, but I know for a fact you will have to do the Reg F IAP/BOTP courses. Your reservist experience will undoutably help ya though.

Good luck w/ your big decisions.

RMC will not give you any credit for courses that you have already taken. I‘ve seen people with 2 years completed at a Civy university get kicked back to first year at RMC. Civy university under ROTP is definitely a good option (been there, done that), as would be RMC. As was said though, you will have to complete IAP (first summer) and BOTP (during the school year and/or second summer). You can also apply for ROTP at a Civy university after you‘ve completed a year or two - might give you time to figure out if it‘s what you want.

Ok, thanks for your answers.
But what about kit? i was just wondering cause I have all this stuff and it would be pointless to have to return it all just to be re-issued new kit. Or give back my cadpat and gortex (which i just got)
That‘s not my main concern obviously, I was just curious.

Also, is it pretty common for people to do that- transfer to RMC from a civy university? Or is everyone mostly fresh out of high school?
Thanks again.

If you‘re sincere in joining the forces, give RMC a try- heck, you‘ll save big $$ !! Only drawback I see is many who go to RMC end up brainwashed- but not all. It‘s a great experience.

Forget about the kit- you‘ll get it re-issued when you join the regs anyway.

Either way, get a degree- it‘ll stand you in good stead forever, and you‘ll learn a lot of life skills and have a ball in the process.

As for re-doing courses- do them all- you‘ll learn more, and make friends- good things to do.

Cheers-Garry

Your best bet is to stay at UofT, then apply for ROTP CivU after you complete your first exams. You can apply for subsidization any time during your four year program. You can also stay in the Reserves until your are accepted. This application is not like a Component Transfer so you can come srtaight into the Recruiting Centre to apply. If keeping your Cadpat and Gortex is your biggest worry, stay in the reserves and pay for your own education. Education should be your first priority.

Back