• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP calls for immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan

Pity they think alot of us are stupid and don't actually look at the sources - well ok, alot of the country does, but there are some that are somewhat skeptical of what comes out of their mouths... ;D

MM

Some have said that the NDP support for pulling our troops out and focusing on reconstruction would be tantamount to Canada withdrawing from WW2. But the result would be much worse than that, it would be more akin to abandoning the Jews to the Nazis while at the same time building the Nazis a new road from Warsaw to Auschwitz.

September 10, 2006

By ALEXANDER PANETTA

NDP Leader Jack Layton. (CP/Jacques Boissinot)
QUEBEC (CP) - NDP Leader Jack Layton urged his troops to prepare Sunday for an election campaign he seems determined to fight against U.S. President George W. Bush.

He mentioned the U.S. president at least five times in a closing address to his party's convention and accused the Tory government of being his servant.

On climate change, on the softwood-lumber deal and on the Afghan conflict, Layton accused the Tories of selling out Canadian interests to satisfy Bush and Prime Minister Stephen Harper of being a lackey of the Republican White House.

"He's become a cheerleader for President George Bush and he's leading Canada down the wrong track on every issue that matters to ordinary people," Layton said.

Layton's anti-war, anti-Bush message appeared to delight the party masses, who showered him with a 92-per-cent approval rating in a leadership vote.

He ended his speech by telling 1,500 delegates that the weekend gathering was the start of a months-long election campaign.

Layton lauded the NDP's decision over the weekend to become Canada's first political party to officially call for the withdrawal of Canadian troops from Afghanistan.

"Canadians are not war-mongers," Layton said.

"Canada doesn't send its soldiers to the front lines just because our prime minister wants to remain in Washington's good graces."

On climate change, Layton derided Harper on the Kyoto accord.

"Stephen Harper wants to follow George Bush in reneging on Canada's international commitments," he said.

And on the recent softwood lumber deal with the U.S., Layton said Harper should be ashamed.

"For Stephen Harper it was more important to be George Bush's buddy," he told delegates. "It's more important to follow him than to fight for Canadian workers."

The last attempt by a Canadian political party to stake its electoral fortunes on the unpopular U.S. president met with spectacular failure.

The Paul Martin Liberals tried much the same strategy in the most recent campaign, which resulted in a minority Conservative government.

New Democrats are betting the message will play better for them because, unlike Martin, they were not in power when Canada failed to meet climate-change targets, stalled in softwood negotiations and sent troops to Afghanistan.

Layton took the helm of the party in January 2003 and has seen the NDP's seat count in the House of Commons rise significantly in two consecutive elections.

He unveiled the party's five priorities for the next federal election, mimicking the Tories keep-it-simple strategy from the last election.

Layton said the NDP will focus on affordable housing, quality education, helping seniors, protecting the environment, and withdrawing from Afghanistan.

The NDP leader said there is a time and place for Canadians to fight but Afghanistan is not that time or place.

"There is no plan for victory. There is no exit strategy. There is no sign that it is making the Taliban weaker or the world safer...," Layton said.

"So here is what we're going to commit to do. We are going to support our troops. We are going to support them in the best way we can. We're going to bring our troops home."

The Muslim Canadian Congress accused the NDP and Layton of playing politics with the lives of Afghan citizens and Canadian troops.

"By asking for an immediate withdrawal of Canadian troops, Mr. Layton demonstrates a naivete about the situation in Afghanistan," Farzana Hassan, congress president, said in a statement.

Withdrawing now would amount to handing the country back to the Taliban and al-Qaida, she said.

Jacks racking them up i'nt he?

He's offside with the government, the Liberals, the Bloc, some members of his own caucus, NATO, the UN, the Non-Aligned Movement and the Muslim Canadian Congress.  

Keep it up Jack. You're doing fine.

Is it just me, or does Layton's rhetoric really sound like he sees the problems with what he says, yet continues to say it?  This "unbalanced, no exit strategy" claim has been disproven time and time again, yet he doesn't even change his wording.  

Wow.  What a tool.  But you know what?  It will probably work.  He is trying to scare the living sh*t out of Canadians right now.  He knows that Bush is not too popular in this country, so the more he fear mongers Canadians into thinking that the PC are just another branch of GW's Republican party, the more they will lean away from the current party in power.

From the article:
On climate change, on the softwood-lumber deal and on the Afghan conflict, Layton accused the Tories of selling out Canadian interests to satisfy Bush and Prime Minister Stephen Harper of being a lackey of the Republican White House.

1) Canada's climate change policy was a joke.  Paying "emission dollars" to Russia is not what I call an effective way of fighting global warming.  The ironic thing is, since Kyoto, Canada's emissions have gone up while US emissions have gone down .  Maybe following the US instead of the sinking money pit known as Kyoto is not such a bad thing after all? 

2) The softwood companies are behind the current softwood deal.  Why is taliban jack and his thugs so against it?  The people who's lives it is affecting, support it. 

3) The current Afghan conflict has nothing to do with the Tories.  It was the Liberals who committed the troops.

How anyone takes this guy seriously is beyond me.

If there's any justice, Canada will punish Jack Layton by delivering only the NDP's hard core of votes, thereby reminding Jack and the NDP that the non-NDP-aligned voters who occasionally support the NDP do so when the NDP tries to represent the interests of Canadians by using the interests of Canadians as a yardstick rather than the US presidential administration.

Wow.  What a tool.  But you know what?  It will probably work.  He is trying to scare the living **** out of Canadians right now.  He knows that Bush is not too popular in this country, so the more he fear mongers Canadians into thinking that the PC are just another branch of GW's Republican party, the more they will lean away from the current party in power.

From the article:

1) Canada's climate change policy was a joke.  Paying "emission dollars" to Russia is not what I call an effective way of fighting global warming.  The ironic thing is, since Kyoto, Canada's emissions have gone up while US emissions have gone down .  Maybe following the US instead of the sinking money pit known as Kyoto is not such a bad thing after all? 

2) The softwood companies are behind the current softwood deal.  Why is taliban jack and his thugs so against it?  The people who's lives it is affecting, support it.

3) The current Afghan conflict has nothing to do with the Tories.  It was the Liberals who committed the troops.

How anyone takes this guy seriously is beyond me.

Milhouser911 said:
Is it just me, or does Layton's rhetoric really sound like he sees the problems with what he says, yet continues to say it?  This "unbalanced, no exit strategy" claim has been disproven time and time again, yet he doesn't even change his wording.  
No it's not just you.
I have been trying to figure out why he won't shut up or change his tone and have only come up with two solutions:
1- He is truly an idiot beyond all imagination
2- He realizes he's on the way out and is determined to run his party completely into the ground beyond any hope of recovery for whatever reason.

It would be nice to see Jack put his money where his mouth is.....

Perhaps he can lead negotiations/talks with the Taliban......

Jack HAS to take a stance opposite of the current Government.

Well he doesn't, but he is.  Agreeing with the government on
issues is like saying you support them.  Heaven forbid the opposition
think any current government is doing anything correct.

I wonder if Layton is betting all his chips that Ignatieff is going to win the Liberal leadership, and staking out an early position to grab Liberal voters who aren't happy with "obligation to protect".

Say something loud enough and often enough the undiscriminating masses will take it as gospel. This man has no integrity and is wasting good oxygen, IMO.

I tend more to think that Canada will not listen to such an idiot wanker. If there is any punishing, it will be the Jack and the NDP to cop it sweet.

Cheers,

Wes

riot said:
Some more info, but also a site worth writing to.

http://theproles.blogspot.com/2006/09/canadas-first-afghanistan-war-resister.html

I just wrote to the dofus who runs that blog. Feel free to check it out and correct me, if required.
I am up way past my bed time and I would have done some research at the office but I've got a plane to catch in a few hours.

Good on the NDP, always ready to dance to Mullah Omar's tune. "Taliban Jack" is obviously just a puppet and comitted to fighting for the Caliphate.

http://www.beloblog.com/KGW_Blogs/afghanistan/2006/07/

Villagers usually know when the Taliban and insurgents are in the area. They also know when to flee, as the try to avoid the misfortune that will ultimately befall as the insurgents are rooted out. It is a fine line of survival for them. Being essentially powerless in this war, the villagers are placed in the middle having to choose sides between a force that lives among them and a force that has come from afar. For many, the choice is on par with rolling the dice on the table of craps. Choosing one side over the other is too often a gamble for their life as they make a choice of sides, of who will win and of who will be part their future. The insurgents know this, and use the current climate of political uncertainty in both the United States and that of the countries involved with the International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) as an active part of their information and propaganda. The end result is that the insurgents too often end up winning the information campaign, swaying villagers by fear or threat of reprisal to their side. Support is given, places of refuge are taken and the insurgents gain a foothold with a malignancy of a cancer.

Jack Layton is coming to Wilfred Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario on Wednesday, Oct. 11 for a talk at 1130.  My friends and I are planning a little demonstration to show our displeasure at his current policy.  Any suggestions on posters we should make?  Remember we want to make a point, not get arrested so keep these appropriate.

Nate M said:
Jack Layton is coming to Wilfred Laurier University in Waterloo Ontario on Wednesday, Oct. 11 for a talk at 1130.  My friends and I are planning a little demonstration to show our displeasure at his current policy.  Any suggestions on posters we should make?  Remember we want to make a point, not get arrested so keep these appropriate.

Wear red "Support our Troops" T-shirts.

For ideas, try here: http://ruxted.ca/index.php?/archives/23-Rebuttal-to-Jack-Laytons-article-in-the-Toronto-Star.html

Back