• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCM to Pilot

Phillman

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of the pilots here made the jump from NCM to pilot (Res or Reg.)?

This is a path that I am seriously considering after I complete my university degree.

Any experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

There are quite a few of us that have that very transition.  I was a PRes crewman for 6 years before Component Transferring to the RegF as Pilot. 

Complete your degree and apply for a CT through your OR when you are ready.  If you get your JLC in the PRes - you will be able to skip the first part of Officer Training - the rest will be a joke.

If you have some specific questions about the process, post them here and we shall endeavour to answer them.

I, too, was PRes (Infantry Private) before transferring to the RegF as a pilot. But I think Zoomie can provide you with more up to date information because I made the jump quite a few years ago and things have changed a bit since then.

Sam

Same thing for me, I was in the reserve (infantry ) and transfered in reg force hoping to be a full qualified pilot!  8)

I'm hoping to be done PLQ (JLC) before my degree, which shouldnt be to hard seeing as though I have at least 2 years before I should be done.

Which part of officer training is skipped?

Zoomie, who were you with as a crewman?

With the leadership training you should get a bypass on the IAP portion of officer training. These are the first 9 weeks which include basic drill, dress/deportment, weapons, first aid, NBCD and leadership(small party tasks) among other things.

Phillman said:
Zoomie, who were you with as a crewman?

QYRang - Toronto

Try and start your transfer process earlier and see if they will hire you on before you finish your degree - I have heard of DEO candidates having their last year paid for (Oblig Service implications).  If not - enjoy your time in the PRes, get all the experience that you can - grab a tour if it works - the training mill for Pilots is long and hard, enjoy green life before going blue.

A tour would be nice before trading in the green.

It doesnt sound like I would be missing too much by skipping the IAP portion.

I suppose I should speak with a few people I know in recruiting and see what they say.

Thanks for your help guys.

If you have to do BOTC after switching, it follows closely to what your JLC will (and infact, you can get many things written off; such as teaching lessons), but unfortunately for future officers, BOTC is only a fraction of the course that your JLC is (ie. JLC is a superior course from personal experience, despite it being ranked higher).

Good luck, and don't sweat it.

Back