• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy possibly going with a six man duty watch

So what would the break up of personnel be? 1 MSOD, 1 Duty Cox/Tech, 2 MCR Watchkeepers and 2 Quartermasters? Or would it be something different?

Van is currently under a reduced duty watch, due to her manning issues. As far as I hear it (not part of van myself) a commissioner. Set's up shop for the night.... anybody have more info?

Stoker said:
As long as there is enough personnel to fight a Fire or Flood it seems to be a good idea to me.

There's the rub.  What is a sufficient amount of personnel.  If you are talking about 4-5 people per ship.  The butter is spread pretty thin and response times with an adequate emergency response team cobbled together from here and there may just add to the damage done by a real fire/flood.  I bet a real no duff would be, in hind sight be a Three Stooges comedy if you weren't crying instead.  I fear it is a recipe for disaster.  But then I'm a pessimist by nature.

jollyjacktar said:
There's the rub.  What is a sufficient amount of personnel.  If you are talking about 4-5 people per ship.  The butter is spread pretty thin and response times with an adequate emergency response team cobbled together from here and there may just add to the damage done by a real fire/flood.  I bet a real no duff would be, in hind sight be a Three Stooges comedy if you weren't crying instead.  I fear it is a recipe for disaster.  But then I'm a pessimist by nature.

Good point, several months ago when the Kingston had her major fire, response time for the fire was well over 10 minutes by the dockyard fire department. If they had a dutywatch onboard instead of locking the ship up and wiring it into the fire department a lot of damage would of probally been prevented.

Stoker said:
Good point, several months ago when the Kingston had her major fire, response time for the fire was well over 10 minutes by the dockyard fire department. If they had a dutywatch onboard instead of locking the ship up and wiring it into the fire department a lot of damage would of probally been prevented.

10 minutes for a full and proper response is not too bad really.  Afterall even with a duty watch right there Johnny on the spot it still is at least that if not more before the wet stuff is on the red stuff.  Now if you take a dockyard full of reduced duty watches, from different locations all over the bloody place and throw in that they might not be conversant with the platform they are responding to.  It is to my mind a disaster in the waiting.  Tons of Murphy's Law can and may happen.  But hey, it saves a dollar and is possibly good for morale, right.

I attended a brief by the new Commodore in November just prior to the TGEX/Wups and he mentioned this very subject. It sounds like a fine idea which will probably not get off the ground. We in the navy are too entrenched in our belief in the value of a duty watch to want to see it reduced to what basically would amount to a fire picket detail. Lets remember that now our duty watch is currently a, finely tuned fire/flood and whatever other emergency may arise, response team. If we reduce it to 6 men including a duty tech then fire fighting would be left to the dockyard fire department. It is a nice thought but probably not practical.

Ideally at present its:
1x Officer of the Day
1x Duty Coxn
1x Duty Tech
1x Master Seaman of the Day
3x Quartermasters
3x MCR Watchkeepers
Through the work day there is a bosun mate making pipes and a Duty cook. Bosun mate and duty cook don't stay for the full 24 hour period.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ideally at present its:
1x Officer of the Day
1x Duty Coxn
1x Duty Tech
3x Quartermasters
3x MCR Watchkeepers
Through the work day there is a bosun mate making pipes and a Duty cook. Bosun mate and duty cook don't stay for the full 24 hour period.

To that you can add extra bodies that have been double banked to learn those roles.

Nope never forgot them because at the end of the day its only the qualified personnel you can use in the event of an emergency whether actual or Sea Training.

When I have been the DB'd QM, and we go to bong-bongs, I am usually told to head up to the brow to do the plotting or whatever the on duty QM needs help with.
That is the experience I need, not being a supernumerary pers like some seem to assume.

I was part of the original trial in 2002-2003 on the Regina during her Docking work period.  At the time it called for 2 brow 2 mcrs a Duty watch supervisor and an OOD.  Anytime there was high risk work after hours (ie burning and welding etc) we had to augment with an extra brow and mcr.  With this trial all the Duty techs and Duty coxns became the DWS, The duty cooks and Stewards joined the Brow rotation and the MCR got nobody added to their rotation.  Since the majority of the trail took place during a DWP we almost always had to augment the duty watch so it didn't seem to make a difference to the rotation and as I stated above everyone accept the MCR got people added to their rotations.  This might have worked better for a ship not in a major work period and ramping up for the gulf.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ideally at present its:
1x Officer of the Day
1x Duty Coxn
1x Duty Tech
3x Quartermasters
3x MCR Watchkeepers

Can`t speak for other platforms but on the Tanker we also had 1 x Senior Hand of the Watch as well.

jollyjacktar said:
Can`t speak for other platforms but on the Tanker we also had 1 x Senior Hand of the Watch as well.

What's his/her function?

The SHOW mans HQ1 during a  fire after bringing the Diesel Fire Pumps on line and monitors the firemain to ensure supply is not interrupted as well as keeping the OOD current on the systems status.

In the event of a power blackout, they bring up the DGs and reset all the manual systems fore and aft.  Once shore power is returned they bring that back on line.

Do checks of the logs to ensure the engineering roundsmen are doing their rounds and assist them with problems as they arise.

Turn on/off ship's lighting at sunset/sunrise.

Other duties as necessary/directed in the NOB. 

Ex-Dragoon said:
So basically they act as a Duty Tech/MCR watchkeeper?

There still is a Duty Tech.  Some of the same ground is covered by both.

Unlike the 280s, CPFs the MCR is not manned except when flashed up.  Same with HQ1.  This is late 60s Tech here no bells Or whistles.

SH is usually a MS or with Stokers at least a  very senior LS.  Stepping stone to DT.

Back