• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Mess Kit and Kilts?

clericalchronicals

Inactive
Reaction score
OK, so this question has probably been asked a million times, so I apologize beforehand.

Are Navy personnel allowed to wear a kilt with their mess kit instead of the pants?

I come from a Scottish family (MacKinnon tartan), therefore have a proper family tartan.

Thanks in advance all!

The short answer is no. The long answer is also no, and the details are to be found in the dress instructions. You will notice that they're titled Dress Instructions and not Dress Suggestions.

You can request permission from the PMC to wear your kilt to a specific function with your mess kit '  (like a mess dinner).

I've done it before after getting the same advice from others that had done the same thing previously.  Lost the memo when my old laptop hd fried, but I had quoted a regulation from somewhere (and possibly the mess constitution?).  It was also right around Robbie Burns day, so it was reasonably easy to justify.

Aside from a few jokes, no one cared too much.  Of course, the opposite could happen  Depends on the function though.  Probably not a great idea at the more formal all services mess dinners.  So while you may be able to, you might not want to.

To mirror what Navy_Pete has posted, it is generally accepted without much ado (at least in the Wardroom).  I once attended a dinner at the Maritime Museum at Stadacona and was complimented by one of the resident curator/historians for carrying forward an unofficial, albeit obscure, Naval tradition of highland dress married to Naval Mess Dress.  I've worn my kilt for at least a dozen mess functions over the past 14 years and was only questioned once. Even then it was just a tongue in cheek barb from the opposite leg of the dinner.  I responded "there was no better garment for defecation, urination and fornication" (quoting a WWI recruiting officer) and was actually awarded a libation in that case.  I do concur, however, that a well worded memo goes far - as does having a witty anecdote at the ready explaining your dress.  I will generally go to more official events in 'proper rig' and save my kilt for only more intimate unit dinners/mess functions where not only is it accepted but, due to my track record it is almost expected.

Back