• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navistar awarded 1300 truck contract

Just for the He** of it I wonder how long it will take for these to trickle down to the Reserve elements???

tango22a

Mr Plow said:
5, 6, 7, 10, 13, 11 & 18 Manual transmission or an automatic one. Hmm.. If it's for domestic side, I believe the manual will do just fine. 6 gears with do the trick. I know some folks will get lost quickly if there's any more. On bad note the Internationals I drove.. the stick has A LOT of playing in it. Do note that it was a 13 speed 7 ton.

Hopfully they will also score the CAT engine too. God love em!

Regards,
Mr Plow

Mr. Plow, do you figure they'd try and squeeze a 3306 in there, or should we go with a 3406 (is it overkill for ho ML's are used today)?

Cheers
G2G

dapaterson said:
Repeat after me:

"Lowest Cost Compliant."

Or, in this case,

"Only bid."

Old medic:  While the production would be only a rounding error for the production at Chatham, it's still the optics that don't work - fire 700 people then get a multi-million dollar contract.

FMR:  A few observations: This is the MilCOTS portion of the purchase; the SMP trucks are not yet out for contract.  The MilCOTS are not armoured - no small arms and grenade resistance.  And "Jobs for Mexico" would be more like it - Navistar will declare exisiting work as their industrial offsets in Canada, and a maquiladora will add a few more shifts at $2/hr.

If true that Navistar can claim existing planned hours in Chatham as industrial offsets, this is pathetic deal....I would have thought that industrial offsets mandates an incremental increase to constitute an 'offset'.

Matthew. 

Does anyone here know the approximate highway speed these trucks can go? The max 80km/h that the ML does is pretty sad when you hit a head wind and are stuck doing 60km/h.

I believe that these will be able to do 100 km/h no problem.

FMR said:
The MLVW are not only old but seriously a piece of crap,

Ummm - you know this becaue ???
(cause you are only thinking about or trying to get into the FMR)

While the MLVW did not start off with a stellar performance, it has turned out to be a very decent truck.  Soo... what is it about it's performance that you find so offensive - taking into account that it is getting tired after some 28-30 years of good & loyal service.  If you want to talk about the LSVW as a hunk of junk - I'll join you in the gripers corner - but again, I know 1st hand why it is a hunk of junk while you are just parroting away

Was this not the same twit that was going on about an F18 replacement fantasy in spite of what experienced personnel told him?

FMR said:
The MLVW are not only old but seriously a piece of crap, the new vehicle are beautiful and seriously better and can be used for all weather and off-road.

Ok, I may gripe about the ML because it's slower than the average bear, but considering some of them are older than I am, and they still run strong I'd be giving them more credit if I were you. I very much enjoy driving them, they serve a purpose, they are well used, but growing old.

FMR said:
But 1300 is not enough, we have 3,000 MLVW ..it is the half of our current fleet

This part I will agree with you on. However, as stated elsewhere, this is only the MilCOTS portion of the replacement. Maybe, depending on how well they perform the powers that be will get more of them. Also, you have to look at how many ML's were pucrhased in the 80's. How many have been rolled and are scrap? How many are VOR'd for some reason or another? I can't give solid numbers on this, but I do know that there are a lot less now than when we bought them, and we still make due with what we have.

... at the same time we disposed of the 5 tons, we got the 10 ton HMVW & the VHMVW.
This took some of the load that was being carried by the "new" deuce.

Would be nice to buy more BUT, with the current rolling stock, how many do we really need ???

Also, instead of always doing these huge fleet purchases, buying on a continuing basis will keep the automotive industry working ... or at least that's the theory

geo said:
Ummm - you know this becaue ???
(cause you are only thinking about or trying to get into the FMR)

While the MLVW did not start off with a stellar performance, it has turned out to be a very decent truck.  Soo... what is it about it's performance that you find so offensives - taking into account that it is getting tired after some 28-30 years of good & loyal service.  If you want to talk about the LSVW as a hunk of junk - I'll join you in the gripers corner - but again, I know 1st hand why it is a hunk of junk while you are just parroting away

Well , the vehicle are based from the GMC model 353 , a world war two 2+ ton 6x6 used by civil before the war as a farmers trucks. During world war two (1939-1945) this vehicle was produced with over 800,000 in Canada and USA , that was the much used by allies forces. After the war the same model was converted for military used in 1950 with better performance than the GMC model 353, the M35 (The MLVW used by Canadian Forces). The model was much more powerful for this time (1950) but in 2009 , this vehicle have over 50+ years old and have seriously problem in off-road and don't work as well for 21th century battlefield. This vehicle was only used for temporary canadian CFB Lahr and CFB Baden-Soellingen in Germany and Canada, authorized by Pierre Eliot Trudeau (Liberal Party in 1980). In 2000s Art Eggleton (Former Minister of Defence) had announced a modernization fleet in 2001-2002 but was rejected by Jean-Chrétien. In 2006 Gordon O'Connor had announced another time the modernization fleet of the older Canadian MLVW who was only purchase for temporary use, that was accepted by Mr Harper during the speech of "Canada First Defence Strategy"  of a modernization fleet of Land,Air,Martime Forces for entering in the 21th century with the most advanced,powerfull and expensive technology to provide CF with the best equipment in the world. The Canada First Defence Strategy announced in 2006 one of the point was the truck, who really need replacement since over 10 years but like anoither stuff in CF always in the last minute.

The 7000 MV are based on one of the most powerful civil truck right now on the industry and can provide a good protection from Navistar who made the the new HMMWV replaced the MaxxPro who are seriously a better protected vehicle than any another MRAP vehicle on this planet right now. So the 7000 MV can provide a protection of CF personal and provide a capacity for 21th century who the M35 varriant used by CF can't because they're to much older, that was a recommendation by General Rick Hillier in 2005-2006 ,this guy former General want a Canadian Forces with another point of view, during 50 years canada was a peace keeping force without capacity today we're much more powerfull and need to still on this position , like i can see you have 30 years service in CF ?..so you're not from the General Kill like me.

Generation kill  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_5vxM8PYM

..so you're not from the General Kill like me ,who don't care about peace.
C'est supposé dire quoi ça ?

Yes - I joined the Reserves in 1970.... during the "October crisis" no less.

I have had the pleasure to operate the 50s pattern of 2 1/2 truck AND the 80s pattern of 2 1/2 truck
BOTH are / were excellent.  The 50s model was used for 30+ years (1953to 1983) while the 80s model has been in use 26 years (1982 to date).  The cut and paste information you have provided does not support your saying the MLVW is a piece of crap... you are wrong.

geo said:
C'est supposé dire quoi ça ?

Yes - I joined the Reserves in 1970.... during the "October crisis" no less.

I have had the pleasure to operate the 50s pattern of 2 1/2 truck AND the 80s pattern of 2 1/2 truck
BOTH are / were excellent.  The 50s model was used for 30+ years (1953to 1983) while the 80s model has been in use 26 years (1982 to date).  The cut and paste information you have provided does not support your saying the MLVW is a piece of crap... you are wrong.

Generation kill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_5vxM8PYM , la génération "playstation" comme moi entre 16-25ans

Well, the vehicle was good during 1950-1990 , but Afghanistan isn't Quebec during October crisis, my cousin work for the 408  with CU-161 and told me Afghanistan are seriously a off-road region and the truck are many time stuck in the mud like the LAV-III and G-wagon. During wolrd war two this kind of 6x6 wheeled truck was stuck in Belgium 1944-1945 in the Siegfriedstellung in Germany/beligum border line. They were stuck in the mud or can't be used on off-road and the MLVW are based from the same model so i guess they have the same problem but in Afghanistan (this is for why they try to refit the old fleet for newer and better 7000-MV).

I made mistake to called piece of crap , but seriously not a good vehicle in comparison with the new 7000 MV

landlaviiicanadianstuckwq0.jpg
here an example of stuck in the mud in Afghanistan..with the LAV-3 but that happened with another wheeled vehicle and the 7000 MV are seriously strong enough to be operational on this kind of situation.

US Army just buy 10,000 new truck from Navistar Defense they're satisfied on the capacity in Iraq/Afghanistan.

The U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command recently awarded Navistar Defense a follow-on contract to provide medium tactical trucks and spare parts to the Afghanistan National Police, Afghan National Army and the Iraqi Ministry of Defense.

Under the multi-year, $1.283 billion contract, Navistar will supply 7,072 vehicles based on their severe service International 7000 Series truck. The order will include General Troop Transporter, POL (petroleum, oil and lubricant), water tankers, wreckers and hazardous material truck variants. In addition, Navistar will supply all required spare parts necessary to support several years of scheduled maintenance. Approximately half of the 2008 order will be delivered during the first year of the contract, with nearly 1,000 units expected to be delivered in FY 2008 (i.e. before Oct 1/08).

This award follows a $430 million contract, 2,900 vehicle contract awarded in 2005, bringing the overall total to $1.71 billion and 9,972 trucks. Navistar release. Note that the International 7000 truck chassis is also the basis of the blast-resistant MaxxPro 4×4 patrol vehicle, which is currently the lead vehicle in the USA’s 15,000+ vehicle MRAP (Mine Resistant, Ambush Protected) program.

FMR said:
I made mistake to called piece of crap , but seriously not a good vehicle in comparison with the new 7000 MV

Wow, you really get around. Fighters, FWSAR, Quebec gun nut groups, trucks..........you're an all-around genius.

"generation Kill"....give me a break, the only thing you ever delivered violence on is a fly.

FMR said:
my cousin work for the 408  with CU-161 and told me Afghanistan

Again, you have no experience yourself so you decide to use something that your suposed cousin told you.........

here an example of stuck in the mud in Afghanistan..with the LAV-3 but that happened with another wheeled vehicle and the 7000 MV are seriously strong enough to be operational on this kind of situation.

And this is another example of you shooting your mouth off because you dont know what you are talking about. The trucks in the article are for domestic use and not overseas.

Your time here is reaching its terminal end.

FMR said:
Generation kill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y_5vxM8PYM , la génération "playstation" comme moi entre 16-25ans

Well, the vehicle was good during 1950-1990 , but Afghanistan isn't Quebec during October crisis, my cousin work for the 408  with CU-161 and told me Afghanistan are seriously a off-road region and the truck are many time stuck in the mud like the LAV-III and G-wagon. During wolrd war two this kind of 6x6 wheeled truck was stuck in Belgium 1944-1945 in the Siegfriedstellung in Germany/beligum border line. They were stuck in the mud or can't be used on off-road and the MLVW are based from the same model so i guess they have the same problem but in Afghanistan (this is for why they try to refit the old fleet for newer and better 7000-MV).

landlaviiicanadianstuckwq0.jpg

You are right out of 'er.  You show us with your postings here, that you really do not have the knowledge to be contributing so much CRAP.

If for a second you think that a "new 7000 MV" will not suffer the same fate in the mud as any of the vehicles you have mentioned above, then I know that you have never driven a real vehicle in your whole life.  Perhaps it is time that you got out of your comfy chair and went outside, took a course on Driving, and then try driving on something other that a paved surface.  It may be an eye-opener for you.  As is, your comments from a friend of a friend, don't hold much credibility here.

During cold war , Canada had two CFB in Germany , the Leopard,Iltis,CF-104 and several another equipement was only temporary for NATO forces based in Germany and around europe. The MLVW was only a temporary vehicle same for the Leopard and Iltis but in 1993 , that was all retunred in Canada and had no replacement but in 2000 that was accepted by jean-Chrétien,Paul martin and Stephen Harper to provide better equipment who was all from 1970-1980 during the temporary defence of Germany against Soviet Union. 
I don't know the point to bash me because i said the old vehicle are not good...for example, a old computer don't work as well for modern software , same for the vehicle if they're not good for modern warfare they need replacement this is the life. Don't need 30 years services in CF for know that, this is the same on public service to private or military forces this is always like that since over 2,000 years.

So which one are you ?

Encino man, captain america, Kasey Kasem, the coward of Kafji ?

FMR said:
During cold war , Canada had two CFB in Germany , the Leopard,Iltis,CF-104 and several another equipement was only temporary for NATO forces based in Germany and around europe. The MLVW was only a temporary vehicle same for the Leopard and Iltis but in 1993 , that was all retunred in Canada and had no replacement but in 2000 that was accepted by jean-Chrétien,Paul martin and Stephen Harper to provide better equipment who was all from 1970-1980 during the temporary defence of Germany against Soviet Union. 
I don't know the point to bash me because i said the old vehicle are not good...for example, a old computer don't work as well for modern software , same for the vehicle if they're not good for modern warfare they need replacement this is the life. Don't need 30 years services in CF for know that, this is the same on public service to private or military forces this is always like that since over 2,000 years.

I have no idea where you are getting your facts from.  Everything above is wrong.  

NOW STOP.

FMR said:

Are you saying that the MLVW and Iltis where only used in Germany before 1993? I am asking to make sure that I understand you correctly.  If you are I suggest that you find a new source to get information as I can remember being trained on and using both those vehicles in Canada in 1989 and it had nothing to do with Germany (as much as I wish it did).

Back