• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Systems Engineer ( NCSE )

ItsJustOscar said:
Are all Officers positions aboard tedious and administrative (for the lack of better words), or are there some that include hands on work?

Or, do NCMs have all the fun?  :)

:cdn:

For engineers, yes. Well, that is to say, a large portion of their time is spent in administrative tasks, and they aren't allowed to do hands on work. The MARS guys have a much more "hands on" job than engineers (and LogOs). Which isn't to say that they don't have their fair share or boring and tedious administrative work as well!

gcclarke said:
But again, a lot of that is due to where I am posted, and either won't happen or will be less likely to happen while posted ashore.

What exactly would you be doing while posted ashore?

Training. Administration related to the support of the current fleet. Administration related to development of future capability. Etc.

Hello there,

I'm applying to be a NCSE officer and would like to hear from you If you're already in this profesion. What are some pros and cons. All the info I have is just from the website and I'd like to get a better view on this. How does it compare to other engineering professions offered by the Canadian forces? Thanks is advance.

One thing I did learn about it when researching trades is that you do need a science or engineering degree.  Unless they have updated the printed information on forces.ca, at the time it didn't state it directly.  That requirement was in the video however.  I called and they did confirm that.

Pro: You could get posted to lovely Victoria, BC (West coast is the best coast).

Con: You could get posted to Halifax, Nova Scotia (East coast is the least coast).

Pro: No standing watches at sea (What's the best thing about being a day-worker? Everything.)

Con: Limited sea time available. Most folks would be lucky to get 4 years on ship.

Pro: Limited sea time available. You're not going to be stuck on ship for 15+ years of your career.

Con: It's certainly not what I'd term a "hard-engineering" job. You're not designing stuff. You're not using any of those fancy formulas you learn about in university. After the first bit of training you get in the classroom, you're rarely would use a calculator for anything more complicated than simple multiplication.

Pro: Fairly rigorous training, but unlike some trades (*coughMARScough*), no one's really going out of their way to try and fail you.

Pro: Navy uniforms look better than the other elements.

I dunno, got any more specific questions?

Thanks for the info. What do NCSE officers do on a normal day. Whar are they responsible for. You said most NCSEs will only spend 4 years on a ship. What do they do after 4 years. Also, I agree about the uniforms.

JSingh04 said:
Thanks for the info. What do NCSE officers do on a normal day. Whar are they responsible for. You said most NCSEs will only spend 4 years on a ship. What do they do after 4 years. Also, I agree about the uniforms.

CSE = Constantly Sleeping Engineer

Traditionally, they made sure the Wardroom movie projector worked (aircrew operated it), but now with DVDs, satellite TV and LCD/plasma screens, their employability is waning ;D

The weather in Victoria is overrated and the people are cold.  Halifax and the Maritimes in general are God's country.

JSingh04 said:

On ship, ensure that the day to day operations of their department are in keeping with the commanding officer's intent. Deconflicting maintenance periods with other ship operations, notifying folks ashore if stuff's broken, ensuring that training is progressing, liaising with the logistics officer if some parts are needed right-freaking-now, etc etc. They're responsible to the commanding officer to maintain a high level of technical readiness in the ship's combat suite.

Ashore, that varies greatly depending on the job. You could be working for the formation commander to determine repair priorities, you could be a training officer at one of the schools, you could be the ammunition technical officer for the coast, you could be working for the base information services organization, you could be at a recruiting centre, you would be the guy in charge of the overall life-cycle management (procurement, 3rd line maintenance, ensuring we have adequate spare parts, disposal, etc) for all instances of a certain piece of equipment, etc etc. It varies a lot.

Good day,

I made a big decision this week to accept my offer for NCSE officer at the age of 30. I am doing very well in my current career, making good money and progressing quickly. However, for me, this is a once in a life time opportunity and now is always better than later for making a positive career change. So I will be quitting my job for what I am confident will throw years of fulfilling challenges my way. I have spent a lot of time researching this trade; the community here has been extremely helpful. I have dedicated many days to driving hundreds of km's to my nearest recruitment centre to listen to the recruiters' and career advisors' experiences.

I understand that laziness is not tolerated here so hear me when I say, I have searched far and wide, as far as reading several issues of Maritime Engineering Journals, to get a better sense of what I am getting myself into. I apolgize in advance, if the insight I am looking for is hidden somewhere in the archives of this forum.

I can't help but feel uneasy joining at the age of 30, knowing there will be NCSE's, my age with 6-7 years of experience already.

So my questions are simple: Does the Navy play favourites when considering RMC graduates over DEO's for available positions? A senior career advisor told me that RMC graduates have the benefit of having a network, and have an advantage. Is it unreasonable for an NCSE starting their career at the age of 30, to rise above the rank of Lt(N) in the next 30 years of their career? The same career advisor told me that I would have to "walk on water" if I were to ever achieve rank of Captain(N). I am of the understanding that senior officer ranks are difficult to achieve, but now I am starting to question whether it is even possible for a late-joiner DEO to do so. This being a huge life changing commitment, I am curious, what realistic opportunities there are in the private sector for NCSE's that decide to leave the Navy (your first hand experience and knowledge here would be appreciated). I have been told, by an ex-Navy member that was stationed on HMCS Kootenay, that NCSE's are basically useless in the civilian world; again not something you want to hear shortly after signing an offer. I was also curious, what happens when you reach the maximum number of pay increments for a given rank, say Lt(N). I believe I read somewhere on this forum that you simply stop getting incremental raises, unless of course you get promoted.

Your answers, comments and insights are welcome. I am sure I may have more questions to come at some point.

I am very humbled and proud to be a part of this all. Can't wait to get started and find out what I'm really made of.

Cheers.  8)

John Kanaka said:
I am curious, what realistic opportunities there are in the private sector for NCSE's that decide to leave the Navy (your first hand experience and knowledge here would be appreciated). I have been told, by an ex-Navy member that was stationed on HMCS Kootenay, that NCSE's are basically useless in the civilian world;

Just what I read on the CAF site,

Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer

Related civilian occupations

Although this occupation has no direct related civilian job, the management, leadership and instructing skills developed in this position are highly valued by employers.
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/engineers/naval-combat-systems-engineering-officer.html

END QUOTE

For all prospective NCSE's, I found this to be the most thorough explanation of what the life of an NCSE is like from BMOQ to your HOD tour. Although it was written in 2008, I think the only thing that has changed is that NOAB is no longer extended out to NCSE's and MSE's.

https://everything2.com/title/Naval+Combat+Systems+Engineering+Officer

I am a Weapons Engineering Technician, so the NCMs of your future department.

I can definitely answer one of your questions, as it is standard across all ranks,  once you reach the top incentive for pay in your rank that is where you stay till you are promoted.  Once you are promoted you slide directly across... so say you were at Lt(N) Incentive 4 you would slide over to LCdr Incentive 4 (If there is one).

As for making it to a "4 ringer" Captain(N)...  I am pretty sure there are only 5 Captain(N) positions for NCS ENG... which are actually "ANY TRADE" positions, and currently none of them are occupied by actual NCS Engs.

There are about 70 LCdr positions for NCS Eng/Sea Eng with a few Any Trades as well...  but when you think about it 70 positions out of 324 positions (I mean hard only NCS Eng/Sea Eng positions, not the "Any Trade") at all rank levels, that still some small numbers.  So yeah you may not have to walk on water, but you may need to stay afloat above your ankles. You're fighting against a lot of people to get to thos positions.

Disclaimer: I am only going by what I can find on the DIN wrt the NCS Eng positions, there may be more NCS Engs out there in the "Any Trade" positions...  which really when you get to the rank of Captain(N), it's more about if you're best for a particular job, not so much your trade.

WEng87 said:
I am a Weapons Engineering Technician, so the NCMs of your future department.

I can definitely answer one of your questions, as it is standard across all ranks,  once you reach the top incentive for pay in your rank that is where you stay till you are promoted.  Once you are promoted you slide directly across... so say you were at Lt(N) Incentive 4 you would slide over to LCdr Incentive 4 (If there is one).

Wrong.

While it may have been your personal experience on promotion appointment to MS (you are using that insignia as your avatar), that is the only rank to which that applies.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-204-pay-policy-officers-ncms.page#sec-204-04
204.04 - Rate of Pay on Promotion

204.04(1) (General) The rate of pay on promotion or commission for an officer up to the rank of lieutenant-general and for a non-commissioned member is based on the member’s rate of pay on the day prior to their promotion.  A pay increment higher than basic in the new rank may be determined in accordance with this instruction.

(TB 1 June 2017, effective 1 September 2017)

204.04(2) (Application) This instruction applies to officers and non-commissioned members paid under Section 2 and 3 of this Chapter, with the exception of:
a. officer cadets commissioned to second lieutenant to whom the Direct Entry Officer Plan applies ; and
b. corporals on appointment to master corporal.

204.04(3) (Rate of pay on promotion) Subject to paragraphs (4) and (5), an officer or non-commissioned member shall be paid, on promotion to a higher rank, at the rate of pay established in the applicable CBI which is the greater of:
a.  the basic rate of pay for the member's new rank and, if applicable, pay level and trade group; or
b.  the rate of pay for the pay increment and, if applicable, pay level and trade group, for the member’s new rank that is nearest to, but at least equal to, the sum of the rate of pay the member was receiving on the day before the effective date of the promotion plus an amount equal to the rate of pay established for pay increment 1 minus pay increment Basic in the member’s new rank, but not to exceed the rate of pay for the highest pay increment in the new rank.

(TB 1 June 2017, effective 1 September 2017)

Roglie said:
I can't help but feel uneasy joining at the age of 30, knowing there will be NCSE's, my age with 6-7 years of experience already.

Totally understandable.  I switched into NCSE at the age of 36

So my questions are simple: Does the Navy play favourites when considering RMC graduates over DEO's for available positions? A senior career advisor told me that RMC graduates have the benefit of having a network, and have an advantage.

No and yes.  There isn't any inherent advantage in the engineering side for RMC grads for positions.  That's entirely dependant on your own ability, networking and luck.  There is an advantage for RMC networking but mostly for pers of the same rank.  Remember though, lots of people who went to RMC together hate each other.  Pros and Cons.  Military networking is generally about how YOU perform not what school you went too.  Ask questions, be interested and particularly in your initial training be interested.  Engineering officers in particular are extremely approachable and encouraging of new members of the fraternity, so don't be shy and professionaly introduce yourself at the many social functions.  Hell just go to the social functions.  Lots of RMC embittered grads won't even attend.  Many RMC grads don't give a crap right after school, and just are tired of the military grind.  They get interested again later in their career when they just live life for a bit away from the school  You specifically chose this career and are not bitter yet.  Use that to your advantage early on.

Is it unreasonable for an NCSE starting their career at the age of 30, to rise above the rank of Lt(N) in the next 30 years of their career? The same career advisor told me that I would have to "walk on water" if I were to ever achieve rank of Captain(N). I am of the understanding that senior officer ranks are difficult to achieve, but now I am starting to question whether it is even possible for a late-joiner DEO to do so.

Doesn't matter when you join, there are not a lot of engineering Capt(N) positions.  10-15 years to LCdr isn't beyond you at that age if you play your cards right.  That's usually where we max out as a trade, which is still quite a good spot to be in.  If you are planning on staying for 25 years you shouldn't worry about promotions.  Personally get through training first.  Worry about promotions well after that.

This being a huge life changing commitment, I am curious, what realistic opportunities there are in the private sector for NCSE's that decide to leave the Navy (your first hand experience and knowledge here would be appreciated). I have been told, by an ex-Navy member that was stationed on HMCS Kootenay, that NCSE's are basically useless in the civilian world; again not something you want to hear shortly after signing an offer.

If you have an engineering degree and engineering experience you can pretty much work anywhere. Currently I'm doing networking stuff and I'm a mechanical engineer by trade.  Not to mention all the electrical, digital and communications training.  If you come in with a science or computing degree you can parlay that with your experience into civilian employment.  Get your PMP qualification while in.  Expand your language profile.  Get a masters degree paid for.  If all else fails work for a military contracting company.  Baby boomers are gonna die off sometime.

I was also curious, what happens when you reach the maximum number of pay increments for a given rank, say Lt(N). I believe I read somewhere on this forum that you simply stop getting incremental raises, unless of course you get promoted.

You won't have to worry about your incremental pay raises ending anytime soon.  It takes about 4 years to reach the Lt(N) rank while going through 2-3 promotions (NCdt-ASLt-SLt). There are 10 pay increments in Lt(N).  In total you have 14 years to work with to get promoted to LCdr.  The top pay increment for Lt(N) is about $109 thousand a year IIRC. You'll be ok.

Roglie said:
For all prospective NCSE's, I found this to be the most thorough explanation of what the life of an NCSE is like from BMOQ to your HOD tour. Although it was written in 2008, I think the only thing that has changed is that NOAB is no longer extended out to NCSE's and MSE's.

https://everything2.com/title/Naval+Combat+Systems+Engineering+Officer

Hi,
I have been through the post at the link posted above. Its amazingly detailed and very interesting, but also dated 2009. How accurate is the information in 2020?

Basically still the same; the obvious one being that the Iroquois class has been retired, and the equipment on the ships is a bit newer.

More of an emphasis on project/risk management, as well as understanding how contracts work (especially with the in-service support contracts), as well as DRMIS (a particularized version of the SAP software) will affect your day to day life, but in general the career path hasn't changed a lot in 20 or 30 years.

Day to day is probably less hands on/into the technical than it used to be, but there are a lot of black boxes on the CSE gear, so after you've turned it on and off again, troubleshot the interfaces and set points and swapped cards out, its usually over to the equipment experts for advice.  The depth of training in all our technical trades is being reduced, so as the systems become even more complex, the amount of down and dirty technical stuff we can do shrinks.

Back