• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

"ladies and gentlemen, remain calm. We have hijacked this thread and are re-directing it in various directions. It will all make sense.... at some point"

I was at the CANSEC trade show in Ottawa today.  On display at the Logistik booth was the new NCD.  It is not the CADPAT in Blue.  The trousers are well thought out and will be quite comfortable (they used the term "active wear"), the shirt is quite nice too.  They're saying there will be a fleece jacket as well as another "puffy" style jacket to go with it.  The fleece and puffy can apparently go under the floater jacket if needed.  Should come out sometime next year.  It will be much better than the present NCD. 

Plus Logistik have a system that will take 3D views of your feet, a mat to log your pressure points and movement.  This is fed into a 3D printer to knock out a custom orthodic insert.  They want to go one step further to take this info and make made to measure footwear on order.  They're looking to team up with a footwear company (sorry the name escapes me) and are hoping for the go ahead to carry on.  Perhaps will be the panacea for the Army's woes.

Attachments

• 20180530_110213.jpg
    20180530_110213.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 812
  • 20180530_105805.jpg
    20180530_105805.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 419
  • 20180530_105853.jpg
    20180530_105853.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 815
  • 20180530_105814.jpg
    20180530_105814.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 542
I've said this before and I'll say it again - make that in green and aircrew can wear it too instead of the current 2-piece flying suit, since the flying suit contract is still...questionable.

(I wanted to say "in the air" but come on...)

What impressed me the most was the weight and feel of the fabric.  These are going to very comfortable.  I'm shocked, l tell you, shocked.

There are few tweaks that need to be done to satisfy the adults.  The shirt on display has buttons, they did do a prototype with zipper and from what the Logistik man was saying "buttons" and an naval officer who's in the project said "zippers, not 15 minutes ago", L-man said Kracken had just been by and said "buttons".  Zippers would have been my vote too.

The trousers even have a little zip pocket in the pocket to keep change or other small things secure.

Yes, Dimsum, I think these in green would be aircrew friendly.

jollyjacktar said:
What impressed me the most was the weight and feel of the fabric.  These are going to very comfortable.  I'm shocked, l tell you, shocked.

There are few tweaks that need to be done to satisfy the adults.  The shirt on display has buttons, they did do a prototype with zipper and from what the Logistik man was saying "buttons" and an naval officer who's in the project said "zippers, not 15 minutes ago", L-man said Kracken had just been by and said "buttons".  Zippers would have been my vote too.

The trousers even have a little zip pocket in the pocket to keep change or other small things secure.

Yes, Dimsum, I think these in green would be aircrew friendly.

So it appears that this will be close to the final production version?

Yes.  I'd say for the trousers, 99%.  The shirt needs a few tweaks to enable the sleeves to be rolled up comfortably.  L-man was suggesting tweak here and a stich there then a final production model for the royal assent from the adults.  They hope to be in production for a spring delivery.  But you can pretty much take what you see here to the bank as the changes won't really be noticable to us.

jollyjacktar said:
Yes.  I'd say for the trousers, 99%.  The shirt needs a few tweaks to enable the sleeves to be rolled up comfortably.  L-man was suggesting tweak here and a stich there then a final production model for the royal assent from the adults.  They hope to be in production for a spring delivery.  But you can pretty much take what you see here to the bank as the changes won't really be noticable to us.

Yes it appears quite different to what the Kraken was wearing. I may have to steal your pictures and post them on my page.

Chief Stoker said:
Yes it appears quite different to what the Kraken was wearing. I may have to steal your pictures and post them on my page.

They're not at all like the CADPAT anymore.  The trousers are a closer fitting cut, we don't need the baggy legs.  Apparently the Army is envious of the design and cut as well.

I forgot.  The female shirts will have the rank Velcro lowered as they need it to accommodate for their physical attributes.

I was there as well. I like that it is of lighter weight, that you can roll up the sleeves and the lack of velcro on the outside. I would rather have the zipper over the buttons to do up the jacket. Overall a home run.

Since I won't be wearing the NCD unless I go to sea for some reason I asked the rep about the DEU pants. I've been purchasing dress pants off the rack that you can wash at home and don't need ironing, etc etc. The rep said that Logistik already supply these types of pants to other clients and they have a perm seam (no not like the version that was on the NCD's) that is the same as the seam you get from the dry-cleaners. These pants also have an "active wear" waist. The only reason the military doesn't have these types of pants is that they haven't asked for them!
So I sent an email to who I think is the appropriate authority. 

New white peak cap will be available by late September
Issued HCW's are coming, sometime in the new year.

Looks good JJT.

I am glad its of a lighter material. 

Any time line for mass issue ?  If I missed that I apologize.

Now they need to make a version in a lighter colour for people sailing in tropical climates. Nothing is quite as nice as wearing a black nomex suit in 41C temps on the Turkish coast.

jollyjacktar said:
They're not at all like the CADPAT anymore.  The trousers are a closer fitting cut, we don't need the baggy legs.  Apparently the Army is envious of the design and cut as well.

I forgot.  The female shirts will have the rank Velcro lowered as they need it to accommodate for their physical attributes.

Ironically the previous shirts, pants and jackets being poorly fitted did a really good job for fire protection; if you look at the results from the burn testing, the areas that were fully covered generally signficantly reduced the burns received, but there was still some first/second degree burns in spots where both layers tend to touch the skin (like between the shoulder blades).

Around the waist, where most people have huge baggy pockets of fabric where generally almost no burns; the air pockets prevented any significant heat transfer.

If you haven't seen the test video, they basically took an old pair of NCDs, put it on a dummy in the middle of four flamethrowers, hit it with a five second blast, then did some analysis (it was kitted out with sensors to measure the max temp, heat flux, etc).

They were ugly and didn't fit well, but felt a lot better about my chances of being able to run up a ladder through a hot gas layer (in a Kootenay type experience), or being in a space where something flared off (like a gas turbine with an oil leak that shot a fireball into the engine room).

These look sooooo much better than what Kraken and the Command Chief have been sporting in pictures of late.

Dimsum said:
(I wanted to say "in the air" but come on...)

You missed a golden opportunity, my friend.

Navy_Pete said:
Ironically the previous shirts, pants and jackets being poorly fitted did a really good job for fire protection; if you look at the results from the burn testing, the areas that were fully covered generally signficantly reduced the burns received, but there was still some first/second degree burns in spots where both layers tend to touch the skin (like between the shoulder blades).

Around the waist, where most people have huge baggy pockets of fabric where generally almost no burns; the air pockets prevented any significant heat transfer.

If you haven't seen the test video, they basically took an old pair of NCDs, put it on a dummy in the middle of four flamethrowers, hit it with a five second blast, then did some analysis (it was kitted out with sensors to measure the max temp, heat flux, etc).

They were ugly and didn't fit well, but felt a lot better about my chances of being able to run up a ladder through a hot gas layer (in a Kootenay type experience), or being in a space where something flared off (like a gas turbine with an oil leak that shot a fireball into the engine room).

But people (not me) want to wear their NCD's in air conditioned offices ashore.  :brickwall:

FSTO said:
But people (not me) want to wear their NCD's in air conditioned offices ashore.  :brickwall:

Both my current desk job and my next desk job all have NCDs as their dress of the day. :p

I don't really get that; at least with CADPAT, people automatically get that you're in the forces.  New or old NCDs will never have the same recognition, so kind of dumb.

Hoping for the days though where the maintainers can wear generic coveralls ; the jacket being your second layer was always one of the counters, but doesn't seem to really matter with this version of NCDs.

FSTO said:

The wearing of the most expensive clothing in the inventory, in climate controlled offices in Canada makes absolutely no sense.  The folks at the coal face are complaining about shortages of the clothing they need and actually use for its intended purpose, yet HQ folks are wearing out the seats of the trousers sitting at their desks.  We have service dress for a reason...

Sadly, this is nothing new.  I'm sure Caesar's Legions had the same issue.

Back