• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Chief Stoker said:
The latest dress committee minutes did mention a new style of NCD's. If they shrank down the Canada flag and changed over to RCN name tags and ranks it would look better.

Maybe because I'm just used to seeing the new flag patches, but I don't really notice them now.  Also, they seem to be the same size as the RN photo on my last post and the ones the RAN wear (below).  I guess the follow-on question is whether Supply will stock two types of flags in various colours, or are outerwear and flying clothing also switching to the new flag patch?

US_Navy_090720-N-9950J-079_Royal_Australian_Navy_Chief_of_Navy,_Vice_Adm._Russ_Crane,_Australian_Army_Lt._Gen._David_Hurley_and_Capt._Brent_Canady_observe_flight_operations.jpg

It appears ships badges and name tags will be velcro backed and the possibility of a trade badge.

Dimsum said:
I guess the follow-on question is whether Supply will stock two types of flags in various colours, or are outerwear and flying clothing also switching to the new flag patch?

Oh no!  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't even suggest that...it's too late.  FFS!  ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Oh no!  Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't even suggest that...it's too late.  FFS!  ;D

S'alright.  No one listens to what I say - or else someone would be announcing 2-piece flying suits that we don't need to tuck in for ease of taking off/putting on in hot weather like...oh...OP IMPACT  ::)

Yes, I know... :deadhorse:

Question re:  flag types still stands though.

Chief Stoker said:
It appears ships badges and name tags will be velcro backed and the possibility of a trade badge.

The issue I could see with the velcro is when putting the NCDs through laundry, it is going to make it much harder to identify whose is who. It will also make it easier for people to steal/accidentally acquire others uniforms.

I like the idea of the velcro for simplicity, people can write their name in permenant marker on the tags inside like the army and air force do. I'm also in favour of trade badges on NCDs, that way you know who's who in flashgear.

Eaglelord17 said:
The issue I could see with the velcro is when putting the NCDs through laundry, it is going to make it much harder to identify whose is who. It will also make it easier for people to steal/accidentally acquire others uniforms.

What's preventing this from happening now with Army/Air Force CADPAT?  Everything is velcroed on to those.  First world problem.

Interestingly, the original plan for the old OD combat clothing when it was first introduced c.1962 was that it would have no badges sewn on. When soldiers went to the Mobile Laundry and Bath Units (MLBU), they would simply toss the ones they were wearing in the bins to be washed and then pick up clean ones on the other side.  You would probably never wear the exact same set ever again.  In other words, you handed in the dirty ones and received a set of clean ones in return.  As long as it was the same size it wasn't supposed to matter.  Of course there are huge opportunities for screw-ups here (e.g. you give up the set that fits only to find out that they've run out of clean ones that would fit).  Anyway, it was a short lived concept and nametags were sewn on...

This image was posted today on a Facebook page ("Royal Canadian Navy Today and Yesterday"), and describe as, "New Naval Combat uniform that will eventually be issued":

Just a few personal comments:

1) I am happy to see they limited themselves to a single Velcroed "flag" and used the ensign. It has a Canadian flag in the upper quarter and putting a Canadian flag on the other shoulder would have been overkill and "Army" like bling in my mind. So, happy about that one.

2) I still think the "rank-in-the-belly-and-middle-back" thing is stupid. We sit at various watch station chairs all the time and in ops rooms and equipment control rooms. Not having the rank on the shoulders means no one can figure out who is sitting where at a glance. My view: Stupid, especially considering you are not saving any number of  rank slip-ons: It's two on the shoulders or two on the belly/back combination either way.

3) Don't like the "army" type big pockets on the pant. Mark my word (and by personal experience) these damn things will get caught all the time in the fittings protruding everywhere on ships, especially in machinery spaces.

Overall look is OK, but again (and this is the dinosaur in me speaking) don't wear this ashore - DEU for everyone on solid ground please.

Oh! And just a question here: Has the Navy switched to "criss-cross" lacing of the boots like the Army instead of the old "straight across" pattern we used to have on sabots to permit easy citing-off with pocket knife if we found ourselves in the water? Just asking.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
2) I still think the "rank-in-the-belly-and-middle-back" thing is stupid. We sit at various watch station chairs all the time and in ops rooms and equipment control rooms. Not having the rank on the shoulders means no one can figure out who is sitting where at a glance. My view: Stupid, especially considering you are not saving any number of  rank slip-ons: It's two on the shoulders or two on the belly/back combination either way.

Yes! This! Argh....

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Overall look is OK, but again (and this is the dinosaur in me speaking) don't wear this ashore - DEU for everyone on solid ground please.

You must hate seeing almost everyone ashore walking around in NCDs!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
.... don't wear this ashore - DEU for everyone on solid ground please.
If I were to guess, it looks like the photo was taken at the pointy end of the fleet -- on the shores of the Rideau Canal, far from any operational Navy.  ;D

Although I'd be hesitant to refer to NDHQ as "solid ground."  ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:

1) I am happy to see they limited themselves to a single Velcroed "flag" and used the ensign. It has a Canadian flag in the upper quarter and putting a Canadian flag on the other shoulder would have been overkill and "Army" like bling in my mind. So, happy about that one.

Would like to see a trade badge on the other shoulder, that would be helpful.

3) Don't like the "army" type big pockets on the pant. Mark my word (and by personal experience) these damn things will get caught all the time in the fittings protruding everywhere on ships, especially in machinery spaces.

The present NCD trousers have pockets and this has not been an issue that I have seen, experienced or heard of to date.

Oh! And just a question here: Has the Navy switched to "criss-cross" lacing of the boots like the Army instead of the old "straight across" pattern we used to have on sabots to permit easy citing-off with pocket knife if we found ourselves in the water? Just asking.

Yes, cross threading of the boots.  Been that way since I moved over to the navy.  Although, no-one gets in your face if you do.

Lumber said:
You must hate seeing almost everyone ashore walking around in NCDs!

I do. Sorry! That's just me, but I am certain civilians don't appreciate people walking around looking like they are from the local police swat team unless you are at the location of a heist and the streets are barricaded.

Do you see Cruise ship officers and personnel walking around dressed like that? Do you see Merchant ship officers walking around looking like that? I don't.

And BTW, if these NCD's are so damn expensive, isn't it a good idea to use your much cheaper DEU's when you are not in a situation where you are expected to survive a fire or a gas attack?

This was posted on the same site as, "Interim changes to the existing Naval Combat uniform".  I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw it.  It's like the "Navy / Marine" tape is undead - it cannot be killed.  Way too much bling here.

Privateer said:
This image was posted today on a Facebook page ("Royal Canadian Navy Today and Yesterday"), and describe as, "New Naval Combat uniform that will eventually be issued":

Is it a slip on or the new ''velcro rank'' that is currently on the army tunics? It ''appears'' to be a slip on as it seems to wavy for velcro. That is my major gripe of the new combats (though I don't actually have one). I just don't understand why we had to change the ''slip on'' for the new shirt when everthing else uses the slip on.. 

Oldgateboatdriver said:

I wonder how long it takes for someone to get a good idea to use the Canadian Land Forces Command Ensign  >:D.

Privateer said:
This was posted on the same site as, "Interim changes to the existing Naval Combat uniform".  I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw it.  It's like the "Navy / Marine" tape is undead - it cannot be killed.  Way too much bling here.

Someone's leading change PER point for sure...  so lets spend a whack of cash retrofitting the existing NCDs to match the in-trial ICUs, and do the entire thing again on the new ICUs, instead of doing it in one shot.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Where does it say there will be a rank on the back?  CADPAT uniforms only have rank on the front. 

Also, on watch, wouldn't people call each other by position, not rank (ie. SWC, not LT(N) Bloggins)?  At that point, would it matter what rank the person was?

I do agree that a trade badge would be helpful though, esp in flash gear.

Sidebar:  A modified version of this (in olive green) could replace the current 2-piece flying suit top - and it doesn't have to be tucked in :)

I guess this means that all our parts bins are full so they had money to spare?  ;D

Back