• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Ship!

AlexanderM said:
Bismark? That guess was wrong, I thought she settled upside down.

Might be HMS Royal Oak.

Bismark settled on her side in Tromso Fiord and about half of her hull is above water. I saw her from the back seat of a Norwegian L19 in 1973.

Old Sweat said:
Bismark settled on her side in Tromso Fiord and about half of her hull is above water. I saw her from the back seat of a Norwegian L19 in 1973.
She sank in over 15,000 ft of water, if we're both talking about the Battleship Bismark and she's upright.

Sorry, you're right. I was thinking of Tirpitz. Owe you a drink of your choice.

Didn't the Bismark go down in the Atlantic, while her sister ship the Tirpitz was sunk in a Norwegian fjord by the RAF and midget subs.

I think the picture may be of the Bismark

SherH2A said:
Didn't the Bismark go down in the Atlantic, while her sister ship the Tirpitz was sunk in a Norwegian fjord by the RAF and midget subs.

I think the picture may be of the Bismark
I also thought it might be of the Bismark but she settled in an upright position.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Rafael Typhoon Mk38 Mod2 developed for the US Navy, onboard a Ticonderoga class cruiser (possibly the USS Vella Wood for the original testing?)

BTW, I wish I could put up images to keep this thing going, but I have an old Mac and for some reason, I just can't load pictures to the Milnet site. Sorry.

Correct, although this particular version is the BAE implementation of that system for the US Navy, and is apparently the system selected for the AOPS. I am not able to find information confirming that the AOPS weapons fit will include the TopLite sensor and the remote operating station.  If not, this will be a crew served weapon requiring 3 personnel:  www.baesystems.com/en-us/download-en-us/.../1434555377804.pdf

NavyShooter said:
Ok, here's one back at you.

It's a historically known ship as well.

USS Indianapolis? A,B, X, Y turrets, 2 mast superstructure, single rudder, split open across the bottom.

HMS Royal Oak.

whiskey601 said:
USS Indianapolis? A,B, X, Y turrets, 2 mast superstructure, single rudder, split open across the bottom.

HMS Royal Oak.

I agree. See: http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/royal-oak/wreck.php

Royal Oak it is....

AlexanderM had the first right-ish answer, but the solid ID came from whiskey601.

Next up?

INS Mumbai D62

And in searching the answer came across the solution for lack of space to do PT on warships - follow the example of these MUMBAI crewmen.

Indian_Navy_personnel_performing_yoga_on_board_INS_Mumbai_in_2015.jpg

Blackadder just beat me to it.

Very sneaky however W601: You tried to send people on a wild goose chase with a lot of soviet equipment  [lol:

The class is the Indian indigenous built "Delhi".

I saw her before the dazzle paint work, she's HMS President on the Thames, London.

jollyjacktar said:
I saw her before the dazzle paint work, she's HMS President on the Thames, London.

Same here.....here she is without all the dazzle paint scheme...

Thames_at_Blackfriars_Reach_-_geograph.org.uk_-_464698.jpg

A view of President with St Paul's Cathedral and the City of London in the background

Back