• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name The Weapon!!!

It's a Rhodesian GM 16 SS. The LDP was superficially similar in operation, with the CZ style wrap around bolt and magazine well in the pistol grip, but the LDP had the letters " LDP" cast into the forend. The LDP also had an underfolding  folding wire stock and used UZI mags. Unfortunately, I sold my LDP years ago, so I can't provide a large size pic for comparison, but imagine the result between the mating of  an UZI and  a MAC 11... with none of the good characteristics of each. Theres some controversy over whether the SAANA 77 or the GM 16 came first, they appeared at about the same time. The SAANA was intended for civilian sales, the GM 16 was supposedly a substitute standard weapon for the BSAP as well as civilians.

Isn't it Danjanous turn?
By the way I really enjoy reading this thread, lots of information  :)

Looks kinda like some of the weapons from that horrible Doom movie  ;D

sorry i didn't know there were turns.. I can edit out my post if you want...

Yes Synthos it’s my turn (actually technically it’s still Wes turn but he’s busy right now). Read the whole thread. You answer one correctly, you get to post.

Anyway should be an easy one

spigot.jpg

spigot2.jpg

The "Blacker Bombard"
nope, you're right.... it's a 29mm spigot. The bomb fooled me. I think both use the same bombs?

XMP wins Blacker Bombard. The bottom picture show's it in some weird gun emplacement mount for the Home Guard.

Now for the bonus question Alex... who actually used thios in combat and where?

The Blacker Bombard was used in the defense of Moscow of all places,as well as by the Aussies at Alamein

Didn’t know about the Soviet use, but doesn’t surprise me. They were pretty desperate for anything in 1941-42. Look at some of the “crap” they accepted as lend Lease, P-39, Grant Tank, the Boyes anti tank rifle.

What I was looking for was the Indian Army Divisions in North Africa. A shipment supposedly arrived in Egypt and while the British units in the 8th Army didn’t want them, the Indians who were chronically short of equipment took almost the whole shipment and absolutely loved the  sheer firepower that these had.

I guess it's my turn? An easy one this time.
dscn2118.jpg

Yes, a very easy one. A 2'' ML Mortar Mk 8*. I was lucky enough to be able to demonstrate it at Borden a few years ago. At high angle, the 2 lb sand bomb went just over 475 meters. Impressive results for a 60 year old tube and original 1943 mfr. launching cartriges.<p>
2inchmech2.jpg

closeup of the breech<p>
2inchprac1.jpg

one of the sand filled practice bombs.<p>
Next weapon? Anyone? Anyone?

Back