• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name Tapes

Not a Sig Op said:
Or, alternately, be a good leader and don't prod folks who make significantly less than you to waste money on something they'll be issued for free.

Bonus leadership points if you follow up and check to make sure that they were in fact actually ordered.

Since this post was dredged up from the depths and I didn't see this reply back in 2015 I'll retort now. It may help to explain why I think having nametags is worth the few dollars out of the several 10's of thousands we make a year is a good idea.

Suggesting(not ordering or directing) someone spend $12.00 on name tags so they are identifiable to people outside their immediate CoC is hardly poor leadership nor is it "proding" people to spend a inordinate amount of money to appear professional. In many working environments such as on ship you interact with people of different trades and separate immediate CoCs. Being OS/Pte/Avr "blank space" only serves as an advantage if you are being unprofessional or doing something wrong. If you are hard working, professional and motivated you want to be seen and recognized by name. When the CO, XO, Cox'n, even random Sgt, or WOs know who you are and see that you are doing well it gets back to your bosses. If you're "the young OS/Pte/Avr without name tags" it's harder to get recognition for those outside your chain for your good work. To me the idea of being recognized for hard work is more than worth the cost of two beers downtown on the weekend...

On a personal note, who do you think you are to question my leadership?

WeatherdoG said:
Since this post was dredged up from the depths and I didn't see this reply back in 2015 I'll retort now. It may help to explain why I think having nametags is worth the few dollars out of the several 10's of thousands we make a year is a good idea.

Suggesting(not ordering or directing) someone spend $12.00 on name tags so they are identifiable to people outside their immediate CoC is hardly poor leadership nor is it "proding" people to spend a inordinate amount of money to appear professional. In many working environments such as on ship you interact with people of different trades and separate immediate CoCs. Being OS/Pte/Avr "blank space" only serves as an advantage if you are being unprofessional or doing something wrong. If you are hard working, professional and motivated you want to be seen and recognized by name. When the CO, XO, Cox'n, even random Sgt, or WOs know who you are and see that you are doing well it gets back to your bosses. If you're "the young OS/Pte/Avr without name tags" it's harder to get recognition for those outside your chain for your good work. To me the idea of being recognized for hard work is more than worth the cost of two beers downtown on the weekend...

That must be why i never got noticed, I didn't spend $12.00, back in my day they only cost me tree fiddy.

bedbathbeyond666 said:
I was actually told today my High-Vis Naval name tapes were ordered in error and I am not to wear them anymore. Back to black on olive.

I've seen quite a few out and about in these lately.

WeatherdoG said:

My appologies, I had no idea your leadership was infallible and beyond question.

I stand by what I said.

If someone is concerned about their subordinates not having name tags, they should be following up on the order for name tags.

$12 for name tags isnt a lot.

Neither is $20 for deu buttons, $40 for unit PT gear, and every other nickel and dime expense.

It all adds up though.

We can agree to disagree if you like?

Not a Sig Op said:
My appologies, I had no idea your leadership was infallible and beyond question.

I stand by what I said.

If someone is concerned about their subordinates not having name tags, they should be following up on the order for name tags.

$12 for name tags isnt a lot.

Neither is $20 for deu buttons, $40 for unit PT gear, and every other nickel and dime expense.

It all adds up though.

We can agree to disagree if you like?

Sure thing, obviously I know nothing about leadership, nor the supply system... thanks for the lesson. I'll be sure to come back here for more valuable lessons on my other leadership failings.

Should be no reason a member is spending money on nametapes, slip ons/rank patches, or flags unless it's of their own volition.

The previous supplier(s) were atrocious at delivering, but now most of the problem is at the unit/RQMS level, not the supplier.

I had 4 x nametapes for 15 members delivered in 3 weeks.

As for recognition for hard work, if someone is being recognized for their hard work they'll be recognized regardless of what they're wearing. Unless, of course, the leadership is more concerned about appearances than performance... 

LunchMeat said:
The previous supplier(s) were atrocious at delivering, but now most of the problem is at the unit/RQMS level, not the supplier.

I had 4 x nametapes for 15 members delivered in 3 weeks.

Name tapes are a Clothing Stores responsibility to order.  Many Units/RQs submit their pers' orders to Clothing on their behalves, but don't be so quick to smear the Unit/RQ.  Or really clothing. 

There is a minimum number of sets required before order can be placed.  If you are at a large base with a higher demand, odds are that Clothing reaches that min order requirement number much sooner and therefore you get things quicker.  Smaller base, less pers requesting them and therefore greater intervals before order is placed with the supplier. IE: a longer wait.

Perhaps then, the 15 sets that you ordered were the sets that got your respective supporting clothing stores to it's minimum order requirement so ended up getting yours in 3 weeks.  The other name tapes they had waiting to order pending reaching the min requirement may very well have been waiting a couple months.

Back