• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name Tapes

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how close do the Canadian Peace Keeper knock-off name tapes look to the real name tapes?

They look the exact same. I ordered some myself just to have.

I do very large orders of nametapes (so far both orders have been 100+ for nametapes). there‘s almost no difference in the issued and theirs. you see the thread they use to put the velcro on the back, other then that, they‘re the exact same thing.
great company to deal with.
Greg

The Canadian Peacekeeper nametapes have straight hilts on the swords, whereas issued nametapes have hilts that are angled towards the blade of the swords. On my BIQ course, I was told to use only the issued nametapes on my uniform.

The Canadian Peacekeeper nametapes have straight hilts on the swords, whereas issued nametapes have hilts that are angled towards the blade of the swords. On my BIQ course, I was told to use only the issued nametapes on my uniform.

Beach...your instructors had WAY too much time on their hands :D

Regards

Meanwhile in Australia.......

My first day in my new Unit Feb 1995 (103 Fd Wksp) out of Leichhardt, NSW.

I was the new GE Platoon SGT. My first thoughts on seeing my members of the GE PL were "get a haircut, find an iron, and polish those boots"! ...‘And my name aint Sarge, its Sergeant!

Needless to say I kept my mouth shut, and realised thats just how it is here. However there is a time and place for everything, including acting ‘reggie‘.

As for name tags here on the AUSCAM DPCUs, you gotta buy em, either thru ADF sources or decent disposal shoppes. Ther is minor differences, but no one seems to care. After all its just a name tag.

If your instructors are going ‘anal‘ over mircoscopic angles of sword hilts, the bloke above me who quoted too much time on their hands, he, is bloody right!

Cheers from a hot sticky autumn night here in Sydney,

Wes

The CP nametapes are great Xmas or Bday gifts for your buddies, I purchased a bunch with their nicknames etc. The best part is switching them on their jackets...very childish but fun.

A follow-up... the name tape looks nothing like like the issued name tape.

Ok, well it looks a little like it, but not very much... the stiching is thinner, the stiching used to attach the velcro is visible, the names on each of the tapes (I got two with two different names) weren‘t even centred the same, nor were the swords.

I also ordered some of the old style name tape for myself, not pleased with it at all... the tape itself is a 1/4" smaller then the old stuff, the letters are wider, and the name wasn‘t vertically centered.

That being said, it was ordered to be sewn onto a backpack, and the two cadpat ones were ordered to send home to a pair of friends of mine after I‘ve been away for a month or so the summer (I figure it seems like a nice hardcore army gift as long and I can claim I went through a lot of trouble to get them... I suppose the different quality from the issued name tags also saves me if anyone actually DOES question where they came from ;) ).

Over all, not pleased with the quality of the name tapes.

Everything else in the order was good... the laundry bags are far bigger then I expected... huge even...

Oh, and to Wesley, with regards to the swords on the ones I got, they‘re noticably different then the issued ones, you‘d have to be a good 6 feet away before you‘d be unable to tell the difference... probably not a problem in "reality", but definitly a problem on course, particularly when you can get real ones for free through the system.

I haven't been issued a name-tape and am ordering one off of cpgear. I don't know which style or insignia i am supposed to have. Cad-pat or olive with black thread? Crossed swords, eagle, christian cross( i am a christian so can i wear this?) Does it matter where the insignia goes, before or after name? Should i just get no insgnia?

BTW i'm a combat engineer, and im considering reg force.

If you're the one looking at it, it should go (left to right) insignia and then name.

Your insignia will be the crossed swords (that's the army symbol) and get it in CADPAT with olive thread.

If you are asking such basic questions you probably have no need yet for name-tapes. If you have a need, you should have sought direction from your section 2IC. Otherwise, just follow NFLD Sapper's advice, CADPAT (TW) with olive thread. If you have an olive drab gortex jacket you may want some olive drab name-tapes too.

But just to sum up, you will not get in trouble for not having these, they will be issued to you when you need them and until that point I wouldn't worry about it.

You're a combat engineer, and you've never seen the Army issue CADPAT name tapes??

The only people who wear the olive CAG (Canadian Average Green) name tapes are Air Force (CAG w/ blue thread) and Navy (CAG w/black thread) DEU personnel.  Army DEU mbrs wear the CADPAT pattern one.

Army wears the crossed swords, Air Force wears the eagle, and Navy wears the anchor.

Army wears the swords before the name, Air Force wear the eagle after the name.  I am not sure about the anchor/name sequence for Navy.

I am doubting that you are actually a Reserve Combat Engineer at this point.  

His past posts seem to indicate that he his currently doing BMQ, I would then advise about NOT getting name tags.

you are correct im practicing drills on thursdays but havent started bmq, ive been told i start next year, either spring or summer

No that will be issued/given to you when you need it.

EDITED TO ADD

Ask the MCpl/Sgt or who ever is in charge of you to order some name tags for you.

greyman556 said:
do i need to buy the piece on the center of the shirt: rank and canada symbol?

It is called a slip-on.  Like your name tapes, you do NOT need to purchase either, they will be supplied to you.  If you are only on your BMQ now, it is highly unlikley that your staff is going to let you and you alone wear a name tape.

You should have a slip-on for your LWCC (CADPAT) epilette that says CANADA at the bottom of it.  If not, look around to see if the rest of your BMQ course is wearing one.  If not, the staff are likely in the process of getting them.

Don't jump the gun and waste your money.  Thats my advice.  

Back