• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My tribute to our fallen

JSR OP

Inactive
Reaction score
This morning, I was watching CTV NewNet, and watched the "Breaking News" of four more of our brothers being killed in Afghanistan.  I decided it was time I put up my Canadian Flag on my house.  I have been thinking of doing this for some time, but always put it off for one reason or another.  My 4 yr old son and I headed into town after I cooked my him breakfast.  We bought a new Canadian flag, a flag pole, and a mount.  We then headed over to a fabric shop, and bought two yards of black cloth.  When we got back home, I cut a length of the cloth, and mounted the flag to my house.

About 10 minutes ago, the doorbell rang.  An older gentleman was at the door.  Apparently he lives in a new house across the way, I've never met him before.  He must have seen me in uniform many times before...anyway, said he noticed the flag and the black ribbon attached.  He wanted to offer his condolances to me, the Canadian Military for our loss, and he shook my hand.  I said thanks, and that I would pass on his condolances and kind words.

I closed the door, looked at the picture of a tribute to the four killed in the friendly fire incident, and this overwhelming feeling came over me.  I shed a few tears.  I wasn't expecting that anyone would be coming to my door in that manor.

That is a really touching story, thank you for posting it, when I found out four more Canadian soldiers got killed my heart sank, like so many other proud Canadians. Good luck to you, And god bless the families.
UBIQUE!! :salute:

As you said, like so many proud canadians, my heart sank too.  It sank even further when I though "Oh god, what is media going to do?"
It is a sad state of affairs when one has to think that.
I have profound respect for anyone in the Canadian Forces, and would like to give the families my best wishes.  Among all the other terrible feelings, I believe I would feel honoured to have someone to come to my door, of all, to say that. 

RIP

We had members of the community come up to our mess today to say their peices and all were very touching as we were getting together for BDR Mansell.

It hurts

It'll just take time.

Sorry for the typo JSR...those two keys are side by each.

HL

Back