• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My trials and tribulations, but yet still find a place where I am needed

Acer Syrup

Inactive
Reaction score
So I know I am going to take some grief for this post, but I can take it.

I was in the cadet program for most of my childhood and I decided that I wanted to join the CFs. But by the time I got my act together, I met my spouse. She has a career that does not allow her to move and she loves her job, so I wouldn't ask her to change what she loves. So the Reg Force is out (kind of, but don't tell her that).

So my next choice is the Res Force. I was a sea cadet, so obvious choice was the Navy. I live about 3 1/2 hours from HMCS Malahat..... So that's kinda out. That's OK, I wouldn't mind joining the air reserve, but was told that 19 wing (which is close to me) only hires skilled members. So I decided to look into the communication reserves and then found out that I would have to take BMQ and SQ in the summer.

Which would be fine if I hadn't already gone to university and became a professional. So I have a career, I can't take a summer off. So all my options are out. I gave up. I thought the CF would want a young professional with a good head his shoulders, someone who could stay in the reserves for a longtime.

So really the reserves are mostly for university students with nothing to do during the summer or for the lucky few who can get the time off.

But then one day a coworker of mine that was a reg forces Lieutenant, asked me if I was interested helping him with a cadet unit that he was work with. I wasn't too sure at first, but I then remembered that cadets is where I came from...... and it was my time to give back what I got. Today I signed my attestation papers.

I have taken a real shinning to the program and enjoy teaching it. Although I couldn't join the operational side of the CF, at least I can get the next generation interested.

And why did you think you'd take a beating for this?  I think you've done the best you can with the circumstances at hand, good on ya.

I know a lot of people don't like CIC officers. We've all heard it before "pretend soliders" and so on. Which is too bad, because a good relationship between operational staff and CIC could make some great opportunities for the cadets.

Acer,
There is nothing wrong with CIC officers or the CIs or the cadets even.
We enjoy talking with them and helping them out when they have a need.

What most people here don't like are those who talk with "authority" about things they know nothing about.  Cite regulations that have nothing to do with the reality of things OR profess that corners can be cut and regulations can be ignored... for the fun of things...

Congratulations on signing up & good luck with your new vocation.

Acer Syrup said:
So I know I am going to take some grief for this post, but I can take it.

There's not a thing wrong with what you've done and there's no call for anyone to give you any grief.  Actually, as I was reading you post, I was thinking "I should suggest that he look into the CIC" until I got to para 6.

Thats kinda the hope, I know there has to be more of people like me out there. SO join the CIC its a good program. We could offically hire 3 more officers at our unit.

.... I think he just got to it... his CC needs additional CICs.

Acer Syrup said:
. I thought the CF would want a young professional with a good head his shoulders,

:crybaby:

None of the things that have kept you out of the RegF and various reserve slots are the CF's fault. They're all personal problems.

Glad you got into the CIC however, that organization needs good people. Hope you enjoy it.

None of the things that have kept you out of the RegF and various reserve slots are the CF's fault. They're all personal problems.

Well not really, yes Reg force, but reserves no. There should be avenues for working people to join the reserves. I bet a lot of people have had this problem and the CF is missing out some good people that would stick around.

Acer Syrup said:
Well not really, yes Reg force, but reserves no. There should be avenues for working people to join the reserves. I bet a lot of people have had this problem and the CF is missing out some good people that would stick around.

A lot of people who are working find a workable solution to be in the reserves with employers who are willing to give them the time they need.  Yes the reserves can be seen to be the best fit for students but it is not all students.  But you can't make everyone happy.  Sorry it won't work out for you but that is life.

Acer Syrup said:
There should be avenues for working people to join the reserves.

I've been around many reservists in my day and a fairly large number of them had full-time careers. If they can make it work then so can you. Quitcherbitchin.

Back