• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My time as an English soldier in Quebec City

Chimo265

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, as a former soldier(sapper) I went through a relatively unique experience with the military. I joined the engineers and by my own choice was posted to CFB Valcartier knowing no french at all. I'm currently blogging my story and those interested can follow my story below. Naturally, no names are mentioned, OPSEC obeyed, and completely based on my own experience. I encourage anyone english person interested in a posting to Quebec City read my own experience (or talk to others) prior to making their decision. I weigh both the positives and negatives of my time spent there. 

Stranger in a Strange Land

Nice job so far. :)  Looking forward to more.  I can't believe they posted you there with no french! 

Steve-O- said:
  Nice job so far. :)  Looking forward to more.  I can't believe they posted you there with no french!
It's actually quite common as I came to find out. My posting message specifically stated I was a COMM/DRVR and that French was essential. But I'll write more on that later.

Part 2 Updated

Apologies to those just reading I don't know how to format it to read sequentially yet. It's also kinda turning into my whole military story so apologies to those looking for a quick read.

Chimo265 said:
My posting message specifically stated I was a COMM/DRVR and that French was essential.

My MPRR has me posted to several positions that i never actualy occupied. Once you arrive at a unit, the position number you are posted into has little actual meaning. I was posted to CFSME in the Ops NCO line number but was never employed as such, for example.

Interesting read, I am in almost the exact same point in my career where I will have to make that decision soon.

Enjoying it, but when does it get to the Valcartier part?  A general time frame would be useful too.

Interesting so far, but not necessarily unique.

Cheers,
Dan.

I joined up around the mid-2000's. I don't want to give too specific info because I'm going to be honest and describe some of the more unpleasant experiences I've had with people who are still at 5 RGC and in the military as well as my own mess ups and misdeeds while there.

Short answer: Don't go unless you know french already.

However, that very short answer requires a lot of explanation, hence the blog which will show why I had a rough go at it. I can't sum up the reasons in a power point slide, and in the end it's my personal opinion and not inherent fact. I had both a lot of good and a lot of bad times there. It's a chapter of my life I won't soon forget but wouldn't repeat.

I'm trying to write everyday so the story will take on a good shape eventually. I see generally who reads it and half of the visitors aren't Canadian. 

Chimo265 said:
I joined up around the mid-2000's. I don't want to give too specific info because I'm going to be honest and describe some of the more unpleasant experiences I've had with people who are still at 5 RGC and in the military as well as my own mess ups and misdeeds while there.

However, that very short answer requires a lot of explanation, hence the blog which will show why I had a rough go at it. I can't sum up the reasons in a power point slide, and in the end it's my personal opinion and not inherent fact. I had both a lot of good and a lot of bad times there. It's a chapter of my life I won't soon forget but wouldn't repeat.

I'm trying to write everyday so the story will take on a good shape eventually. I see generally who reads it and half of the visitors aren't Canadian.

This reads like you're typing in a whisper so someone nearby won't hear you. Pop a red smoke and make for the embassy roof... the last chopper is inbound!

A lot of Francos are posted to Anglo units/bases and don't make such a fuss; are we all supposed to start a blog and whine like we are victims ?

BTW, I am never a stranger in any part of Canada; the fact that you felt like that tells a lot about you.

I aggree with Jungle 100%

BTW is your short answer, (quote) "don't go unless you know french already" supposed to be some sort of advice ?  or perhaps some sort of hidden message that you feel the need to express ?

Soldiers are encouraged to learn both official languages.
Consider that conversational language training is the best way to learn a second language.
Accepting a posting to ValCartier or anywhere else in Quebec for that matter is a big plus
for career and promotion.

Furthermore, coming here to describe your bad or unpleasent experiences that you may have had with other soldiers (no matter where you may have been posted) will not be tolerated.

Anglais vs. Francais

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Les Etats Unis ont noir vs. blanc. Canada, c'est Quebec vs. tous les autres. Des conneries comme ceci n'aide pas. Desole pour erreurs, je n'utilise pas le Francais assez. Quel domage :(

You are also full of shyte :

"Getting Charged" means being punished via the military administratively, legally, or corporally.

If you dont know what something means, you shouldnt post BS.

Aviator, if I ever have to spend time in Quebec city, will you come hold my hand and coddle me the whole time, and beat up anyone who's mean to me for being english?

Sapplicant said:
Aviator, if I ever have to spend time in Quebec city, will you come hold my hand and coddle me the whole time, and beat up anyone who's mean to me for being english?

Quit trolling, here and everywhere else. No more warnings.

Milnet.ca Staff

I spent five years in Bagotville, good stuff.. best healthcare for my family of all my postings, good shopping, great QLB = wine, new culture great music, learned some French, interesting politics  >:D
Bad stuff ... hard on English speaking only family,

Oh and I didn't get promoted as someone here promised  ;D

Chimo265 said:

First post was a little pointed / I ack the below from recceguy.

Good luck with the blog /  :cdn:

This won't get turned into a slagfest. We won't try second guess the OP's original motives other than what's been stated by him.

Most of all, we'll remember, it's his personal opinion and he's entitled to it. Reasoned discussion may change his mind. Attacks will only make him dig in.

If you don't like his site or reasoning, don't visit it.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hi Chimo265. I'm an anglo who's been living in Montreal for the past 16 years and my French is still only comme ci comme ca ;)

I liked reading the blog and took it with a grain of salt and kept in mind it's only one person's perspective. Not so much interested in the language barriers, I specifically enjoyed reading for the 'a day in the life of' stuff. I'll be following the blog, looking forward to more stories, thanks for sharing!

I'm glad to see some people arguing the positives of the posting. It creates a well formed and balanced debate for curious soldiers.

Back