• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Story Of Racism- It Truly Hurt Me

ArmyVern said:
I certainly didn't experience negative comments though. Stood out --- but no comments meant to hurt.

During the "IMF times" in Korea, I was called white devil. It was more amusing to me than anything, though.

Thanks everyone for the comments, sorry for not replying as quick , I have read them but I havent had time to reply.

Army VerN:
  Thanks for the reply, was hoping to see your 2 cents of this matter. Im waiting for the crackbook message :)

Geo
Big picture- there are more Good people than there are Bad.
Its quite to bad the bad people are more visable than the good at times dont you think. Only takes a small minority to ruin the whole of the orchard.

leroi
Thank you for sharing.  Many indivuals would neither acknowledge nor accept the hurt they felt.
  To be honest I believe people should hear about things like this. Since the only way to fix this problem is to tell people about it so people are more aware. Thanks for the comment

Bruce Monkhouse
I always found the skinheads of about 10 years ago to be really, really, really stupid, like they didn't even know the history of why they hated just that they thought it made them 'cool'.]
  I have also noticed this to so your not alone on this thought. I also noticed that most skin-heads today are the type hitler would not even have liked....I feel bad for them..they have no respect for the laws of the societies they live in and its people.

Tomahawk6
Slowmode I have to commend you on your restraint and I think you handled the situation appropriately. Maybe next time wear your uniform
  Thanks :D , I'd imagine you see a lot of this type of thing in the United States Tom?

Blackadder1916
During the late 80's I was posted to Ottawa.  On a July 1, I decided to take the bus downtown to partake of the celebration.  The bus that stopped in front of my apartment building was very crowded and there was only enough room to stand at the front next to the driver, who I recognized as the lady who most often was the driver when I took the bus to work every morning. We exchanged greetings and she offered me a small Canadian flag on a stick.  She had been passing them out to all her passengers and most on the bus had them.  I declined.  My refusal to "wave a flag" seemed to bother a couple of young men standing next to me.  One got particularly vociferous and started ranting about "who do you think you are", "What are you, some kind of f****** foreigner" "If our flag isn't good enough for you, you should go back to your own country".  (I should add that I am a Newfoundlander with a complexion that when subjected to endless days of NDHQ office fluorescent lighting can be charitably described as fish-belly white).  Anyway, I held my tongue and tried to ignore the two young a******* gentlemen.  The driver tried to tell them to shut up or they would be put off.  However, one of them continued with the rant that "brave men had fought and died for that flag so you can come to our country and live in freedom".  The pièce de résistance came when he stated proudly, "we wear that flag on our uniforms so that you have the right to **** on it".  Now I don't mind a******* generally as long as they don't interfere with my life.  There are too many of them around, so I have found they are best left ignored.  That last comment, however, demanded response so I asked them if they were in the military to which one answered, "yeah, we're soldiers".  I asked to see their ID cards to prove it and when they refused (by saying **** off, we don't have to show ID to a civvy), I produced mine and made it an order.  Unfortunately (for the service), both were reserve members.  Fortunately, they didn't stay members long.

I must say this is quite a story, thankfully they did not stay reserve members. Correct me not but even in civies reservists are still members of the military serving Canada and the Queen. That means they have to show respect to any civilian they see and not pick arguments. Oh well i'm sure they were embarrassed that day, but i'm sure they werent real "soldiers"

Thanks everyone for the replies I highly appriciate them

Slowmode,
Unfortunately, the good people usually don't necessarily standout at first glance.  They are after all, the larger part of the mass.  However, when the situation presents itself, I have witnessed enough of them to know that they will step up and grab the bull by the horns when it matters most.

Look up the thread - Something nice happened to me today..... lots of good stories about good people.

CHIMO!

Back