• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My rant about pay raises and civilians

Hi all,

Hope this works properly. I am a first timer.

As for the situation with Ghost, congrats on taking the initiative to do something. I also thought that if we are going to bring up the negatives, we should give credit to those who give us positive feedback. I am regularly on the road here in southern Ontario and have had two noteworthy experiences in Owen Sound and one other small rural town.

In Owen Sound, a lady came up to my two workmates in the food court and thanked them for " Wearing the uniform and putting our lives on the line for them". In the second incident, another lady came and sat with us for almost twenty minutes and told us how proud she was of us and then told us about her 2 sons in the military as well and their experiences.

These two ladies made our days on both occasions and gave us something to think about when meeting the other types out there.

Have a nice day..

Good point mseop 935, I'm sure somewhere there's a balance between positive and negative feedback...as Turretmonster eluded to above, there's all kinds... :)

Geepers George, same place but I never had a problem. Yes the bathroom door is very poorly located, but no to money first before coffee. But it might be simply because I'm tall and really good looking  ;) Prolly not eh?
I take my crew down there for coffee every so often and we get great service.
TM

It seems these two "ladies" were suffering from what I like to call IAS "Invincible A$$hole Syndrome"... that's where people feel that it's perfectly alright to insult, berate, or verbally abuse others, particularly when that person is in uniform (store clerk, police, ticket agent... etc).

They do this because they know they can get away with it, "the customer is always right" after all... employees don't want to get fired, managers don't want to cause a "PR" incident, so they take the abuse without so much as a peep. This in turn teaches the "a$$holes" that they can get away with offensive behaviour, and they become emboldened... they know they can act like this and know one will do anything about it, they feel... invincible.

Well done Ghost, if more of us had the balls to jack people like that up, to embarrass them in front of a bystanders, maybe people would be a bit more polite and friendly when interacting with others... maybe...

In 2000 at a Smitty's in the Golden Mile, in Regina, I ordered in a take-away steak and mash by phone. I came in to pick it up, and I patiently waited in line for 15 minutes (meanwhile my food was sitting there getting colder by the minute) while two cranky 40 something hand holding diehard stereotyped lesbians (oops - don't mean to offend the PC crowd who may lurk on occasion around here, just calling it how it was) with a hellbent attitude agrued with managment over 3 lowsy cents! Thats right 3 cents.

My patience came to an abrupt end, and 'barked' at them 'how dare you speak to this girl with such contempt', then I finally asked what their problem was, I flipped them a quarter and told them to keep the change ,and more importantly to both to get a life, they left in a huff, ranting and raving how they'd never come back ( I said 'good'), and I was applauded by at least 30 people.  

The poor girl behind the counter was in disbelief on how two people could lower themselves, and argue over a few cents. I got a free meal out of it, and had to wait a little longer for another to be cooked fresh.

About Smitty's, they made the best lemon meringue pie next to my Mum of course   ;D.

Cheers,

Wes

I totally agree with putting loud-mouth individuals in their place, whether civie or military.  Just to throw some fuel on the fire I'll relate an incident that happened to a friend of mine's wife.  About 6 years ago my friends wife ran a convenience store about 6 blocks from an armoury.  One morning a young looking female came in and ordered cigarettes.  Just as the law stipulates, she ID'd her.  After calling my wife's friend a bi**h, she left in a huff.  Not even 30 seconds later, some wise-a$$ Cpl stormed into the store and demanded, in a really loud voice, to know why his girlfriend wasn't being served!!  When my friend's wife tried to explain its the law to ID, no ID, no cigarettes, he whipped out his ID card and shouted at her "Do you know what this is????"  In a perfectly calm voice she said, "Yeah, it looks a lot like the one my husband carries, oh by the way meet my husband."  He'd just come out of the back storage room, he was helping her out while on annual leave.  He of course introduced himself as "Warrant Officer ........"  Needless to say, no cigarettes were bought, and the Cpl had some explaining to do to his Sgt Maj later that afternoon...... ;)

Regarding Timmies, all the Timmies I've visited around Edmonton have gone out of there way to be nice to me, and I too have had complete strangers come up to me to thank me.  Of course when its a vet thanking me, I naturally say, "No sir, itsme who should be thanking you!!"

Cheers  :cdn:

Hey ghost this didn't happen to occur sometime around september of last year did it?

Cause one faithful friday night on the way up to meaford we stopped at a timmies/wendys off the 400. There were tons of us up there, and i seem to recall having two ladies (one kinda chunky, the other slightly smaller) belittle all of us in line for about 10 minutes. After a covered my buddies food cause he didn't have the cash on him, we began to walk out and i turned to hear a gentleman lacing into the two ladies for what they had been doing. Infact i was pretty pleased i only wish i could have stuck around long enough to buy the guy a coffee. If this was you... thank you dearly it really meant a lot. No matter how much we want to scream somedays you just have to bite your tounge and hope for the best.

from darkness lite said:
Of course when its a vet thanking me, I naturally say, "No sir, its me who should be thanking you!!"

Cheers   :cdn:

Damn right as it should always be! Wether in the military or not!

from darkness lite said:
IHe of course introduced himself as "Warrant Officer ........"   Needless to say, no cigarettes were bought, and the Cpl had some explaining to do to his Sgt Maj later that afternoon...... ;)

Cheers   :cdn:

Justice! Thats a good one, and would have been great if caught on camera  ;D

Cheers,

Wes

The masses are asses hehe, thats one of my favorite sayings cause i have worked in customer service for a long time and have dealt with tons of "difficult people". I just love being extra friendly to them to piss them off even more. I dont understand why people would be jerks to people in uniform. I serve military people all the time and i treat them just like anyone else.

I do find however that people who work at Tim Hortons always seem to be cranky. I know the job isnt the best but come on people atleast try and be nice hehe.  >:D

Regarding Timmies, all the Timmies I've visited around Edmonton have gone out of there way to be nice to me, and I too have had complete strangers come up to me to thank me.  Of course when its a vet thanking me, I naturally say, "No sir, itsme who should be thanking you!!"

I fully concur with that, and not just because we wear the same cap badge.  ;)

During a unit concentration recently, a few of us went to Tim Hortons for coffee after dinner, before we re-convened for the evening's training. We'd ordered some extra coffees to give to the new troops when they came back to the armouries from their dinner, but they were running low on ready coffee and had to brew up some more. As we were sitting there and talking, the lady who'd served us came by with the extra coffee, then handed us a bag full of cookies, free of charge... It was very nice of her. I've also had some positive reactions from people in lines despite the large amounts of people eye-balling the guys in the funny green relish-stained suits.

But then again, IMHO, Edmonton is a rather pro-military city. I've only had off reactions from people on Uni campus.

Out of uniform, service is good at the Timmies I frequent as well.. But maybe it's because I'm a regular at the Timmies in the engineering (university, not military) building and they have my coffee ready for me when they spot me in the line every morning :)

So unlike Wainwright, where the town will not allow a Tim Hortons to be built.....It is a long walk to get a Timmies there.  Totally unsupportive of our Military and its addictions.

Hey ghost this didn't happen to occur sometime around september of last year did it?
Nope, this was in Arnprior off the 417/17.  And the timmies at the kingston cannex IS the slowest place in the world. It's uncanny how truely fucking slow those people work. You need to see it to believe it.

People get away with being ignorant dinks in public because no one speaks up to say anything. It's like some kind of group mentality "someone else will say something:"
I'm still really disipointed in myself for not speaking up when the two soldiers were still in line but whatever.

It's a lot harder to sort people like that out in uniform. The first thing they see is the uniform so it's hard to just say your piece and let the issue drop. Much easier when your not in uniform (i imagine that goes for cops, firefighters etc..)

wow thats great. i cant stand how ignorant some people can be. the story kind of reminded me or a Tim Horton's on highway 11 just out side of orillia in Ontario. soldiers always stop there for a coffee break. never ran into any problems there though. thank god

"how much we want to scream somedays you just have to bite your tounge and hope for the best. "

Balls to that - sort'em out!

Try the old Coriano Club pick-up line on them:  "Say, you sure don't sweat much for a FAT girl!"

I mean, it's a compliment, right?

;D

Tom

Hey,

Reminds me of my 22nd birthday - a couple guys from my unit took me out to Brandon for a "few drinks", and to hopefully meet up with some ppls of the opposite gender persuasion.  We started out at the nightclub most frequented by CF personnel, but I kept buggin to go to the nightclub most frequented by Brandon university students, with much protesting from the other guys.  I was new there and didn't understand why the other guys didn't want to go to the university hangout.  (Was still naive, thought the whole country loved us army types... )  Well, finally they gave in and off we did ride to the other side of town.  When we got inside, I'd about thought I'd died and gone to heaven:  right by the dancefloor was this big round table with about 10 or 12 of the opposite sex.  The boys quickly found a table, and with big, knowing grins on their faces, watched me approach the table to ask for a dance.

Well, I asked this nice girl for a dance, she smiled nicely to me, then rather loudly told me "I'm sorry, I don't dance with Army guys!"  I wasn't sure I liked the way she emphasized the word "Army", so being the quick-thinker I was at the time, I stepped back a bit and in an even louder voice, said "Fifty bucks!?  Are you out of your (insert appropriate expletive here)ing mind?"

The boys got me out of there very quickly, and we finished the night at the Army-frequented club.

Geez I didn't think it was still like that! I remember we used to travel to Ottawa from Pet to go to the bars. The girls there didn't seem to mind...It must just be the close proximity to a base?...funny, but I hear a lot of females say"I love a man in uniform"...so what is the problem?..

gnplummer421:

I don't know if it is still like that ... I had my 22nd birthday in 1989! 

TCBF said:
"how much we want to scream somedays you just have to bite your tounge and hope for the best. "

Balls to that - sort'em out!

Try the old Coriano Club pick-up line on them:   "Say, you sure don't sweat much for a FAT girl!"

I mean, it's a compliment, right?

;D

Tom

A Ha! A Sue White Story......

Hey George - no names, no pack drill!  You may wan't to edit!  ;D

Tom

Back